Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Sleeping dwarf has been struck down  (Read 1991 times)

dermal_plating

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Sleeping dwarf has been struck down
« on: September 05, 2008, 04:19:07 am »

So I'd just fended off a goblin siege, then suddenly a message popped up saying that a dwarf had been struck down. I checked his corpse and found that he had been asleep in his room. I investigated the scene further and found no evidence of fortress invasion. Although I only have one main entrance that the dwarfs use I do have a subterranean well which gets its water from the surface, which is connected to the back of the fortress via a twisting passage way. So I guess its possible a goblin got in this way, killed a solitary dwarf then ran back out that way, though it seems highly unlikely because the fortress is a z level higher than the water in the well room. The dwarf killed was in the room closest to this well, and to be honest the passageway is freaky as shit, mostly due to the fact the well is usually always dry and provides a portal to outside world.

So this got me wondering if it was some sort of assassin. Has anyone had similar experiences?

grognoglog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sleeping dwarf has been struck down
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2008, 04:31:41 am »

Yeah, same thing happened to me last week.  I thought someone had slipped in during the siege and was scrolling around looking for the corpse. 

Found him in the jail, chained to the wall. Hammerer on the way out.

Do you have the Hammerer?

Overdose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2008, 05:00:26 am »

check to make sure another dwarf didn't do it, particularly if someone died, then threw a fit and took it out on the sleeping one. Unless he fell asleep on a trap or something, that happens sometimes too

RebelZhouYuWu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2008, 05:32:48 am »

If you fended off a goblin seige chances are someone was injured, brought to his bed, then bleed to death.

Proteus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2008, 05:45:31 am »

One would think that he would get the  announcement "Dwarf xyz bled to death" then and not "Dwarf xyz has been struck down"

dermal_plating

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2008, 06:10:33 am »

Ah yes of course, the hammerer. Just checked my justice screen and indeed the dwarf had been killed for violation of production order. Seems a little excessive especially seeing as i have a jail setup with 10 free chains. Is death a standard punishment for violation of production orders?

Also I'm slightly disappointed it wasn't some sort of assassin. I think assassination attempts would be a good idea though, especially if they went for your champions. We'd see a lot of furious posts on this forum.

Proteus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2008, 06:29:42 am »

Ah yes of course, the hammerer. Just checked my justice screen and indeed the dwarf had been killed for violation of production order. Seems a little excessive especially seeing as i have a jail setup with 10 free chains. Is death a standard punishment for violation of production orders?

Seems to be a little random and/or dependant on how much the "hurt party" was pissed off by not getting its production orders fulfilled (and/or maybe depending on the character traits of the hurt party) 

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2008, 06:39:46 am »

Do you have chains in your jail? Do you even have a jail? I find that most of my dwarfs who violate work orders get chained up, rather than killed, lol.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

dermal_plating

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2008, 06:41:48 am »

Do you have chains in your jail? Do you even have a jail? I find that most of my dwarfs who violate work orders get chained up, rather than killed, lol.
Seems a little excessive especially seeing as i have a jail setup with 10 free chains.

Awayfarer

• Bay Watcher
  • Bork!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2008, 07:08:14 am »

Also I'm slightly disappointed it wasn't some sort of assassin. I think assassination attempts would be a good idea though, especially if they went for your champions. We'd see a lot of furious posts on this forum.

The death penalty thing is something that's bugged me for a while.

The trouble is that while punishment may consist of any number of hammer strikes, dwarves rarely survive anything over two. Basically the hammerer has two settings; beating and death. The number of strikes is essentially meaningless because these are the only two sentences he can effectively carry out. So while a sentence may contain any number of strikes, most of the possible sentences are, in fact, the death penalty.
--There: Indicates location or state of being.
"The ale barrel is over there. There is a dwarf in it."
--Their: Indicates possession.
"Their beer has a dwarf in it. It must taste terrible.
--They're: A contraction of the words "they are".
"They're going to pull the dwarf out of the barrel."

Wild Goose

• Bay Watcher
  • My Avatar Has Something Green. Yay solidarity!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2008, 08:25:01 am »

I think that's just Dwarven culture.
"Adventurer's Motto; Take everything not nailed down and nail down whoever tries to stop you."

"Whatever happens, we have got the ballista and they have not."

The dwarven economy is just a stand-in, from what I understand. As it is, it represents an actual economic system about as well as poison ivy represents a salad.

RickiusMaximus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2008, 09:03:06 am »

Similar to the other dwarfen culture whereby if you kill a legendary weaponcrafter with a hammer and then return to your room suddenly the lights go out, the floor disappears and your whole world suddenly gets really really warm?  ;)
quot;A Noble would have to be very fast, very tough, have the ability to breath water, survive a fall from about 30 stories, have asbestos skin, innards made of titanium... then, and only then, would he dare to demand Adamantine items"

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2008, 11:42:09 am »

The death penalty thing is something that's bugged me for a while.

The trouble is that while punishment may consist of any number of hammer strikes, dwarves rarely survive anything over two. Basically the hammerer has two settings; beating and death. The number of strikes is essentially meaningless because these are the only two sentences he can effectively carry out. So while a sentence may contain any number of strikes, most of the possible sentences are, in fact, the death penalty.

This is why it's a good idea to forbid his hammer.

Demonic Gophers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Tunnels
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2008, 03:04:38 pm »

Cog Axegranite has slept uneasily due to noise lately.  He has woken to find a slain assassin next to his bed lately.
*Digs tunnel under thread.*
I also answer to Gophers and DG.
Quote from: Shades of Gray
*Says something inspiring and quote worthy.*
Opinions are great, they're like onions with pi.

Lightning4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2008, 06:58:32 pm »

Basically the hammerer has two settings; beating, death, and overkill

Fixed.
I once had a dwarf sentenced for something like 80 hammerstrikes. It eventually degraded into a beating because I had no jail.

Even beatings seem to vary in lethality.
Pages: [1] 2