Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 76 77 [78] 79 80 ... 95

Author Topic: Cool things you just noticed in DF  (Read 248334 times)

jarathor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cool things you just noticed in DF
« Reply #1155 on: January 15, 2010, 09:42:58 pm »

Wow - that's as surprising to find out as moss was - so this is why the organs in the new version will all have accurate colors. It'd be cool if someone can catch this in a video.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1156 on: January 15, 2010, 10:06:05 pm »

You guys must not spend a lot of time in adventure mode :P

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #1157 on: January 15, 2010, 10:37:31 pm »

I do adventure mode all the time, I've just never known the guts were an object distinct from the creature.  I thought it was just a wound effect.

As for colors, did you know a deer's abdominal membrane is robin's egg blue?  Weirdest thing ever.
Shoes...

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1158 on: January 15, 2010, 10:49:16 pm »

As for colors, did you know a deer's abdominal membrane is robin's egg blue?  Weirdest thing ever.

Never knew that....

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1159 on: January 15, 2010, 11:23:15 pm »

I do adventure mode all the time, I've just never known the guts were an object distinct from the creature.  I thought it was just a wound effect.

I guess they're indistinct in that you can't pick them up, but they do shoot out like that. I'll bet by the next update it'll be possible to kill something with its own innards. Which is disgusting. And cool.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1160 on: January 16, 2010, 02:29:31 am »

The random title generator is awesome.  For instance, I just found, in the history of a single site, both an elf named Fewetha Shorestrap the Musical Tools of Skinning, who killed and ate 5 people in a single battle, and Ini Tickgills the Naughty shreds of splattering, who ripped somebody's arm off.
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1161 on: January 16, 2010, 02:31:10 am »

Toady did mention that we'll be able to strangle creatures with their own innards.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1162 on: January 16, 2010, 02:55:05 am »

Actually, the devpost said specifically that you can only grab and pinch the exposed guts in this next release, but the rewrite opened up being able to strangle people with their guts in the future.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1163 on: January 16, 2010, 04:15:56 am »

Couldn't you strangle someone with a sword or something? I thought that suggested that you'd be able to strangle opponents with whatever was in your hand doing the grabbing, i.e. with guts as well, assuming you could grab them in the first place.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1164 on: January 16, 2010, 04:20:07 am »

Couldn't you strangle someone with a sword or something? I thought that suggested that you'd be able to strangle opponents with whatever was in your hand doing the grabbing, i.e. with guts as well, assuming you could grab them in the first place.

Nope, held body parts (the non-amputated kind) are treated differently from held items.  Note that in the current version, you can't grab somebody's arm and use that to strangle them.  The wrestling system hasn't been changed much in the upcoming version.

Anyway, like Kael said, it was directly addressed in the devlog: "[...] refined the contents under pressure characteristics for guts; the ability to grab the exposed guts, attack or sever the exposed guts, the guts getting dirty when they drag on the ground and other such things all came basically for free. There are some dev items on that I guess... you can't yet strangle people with the exposed guts, though I suppose that's now within reach (grabbing the guts now would only open up a pinching attack I think, which would be the least of your adversary's problems)."

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1165 on: January 16, 2010, 04:25:58 am »

Right, forgot that unless amputated, a body part didn't exactly count as an item for most applications. Makes sense in most cases.

If I understand that correctly, you could at least strangle someone with severed guts, right?

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1166 on: January 16, 2010, 04:35:50 am »

Yeah, insofar as the guts can be severed, which I doubt.  As far as the game knows, even in the next version, guts are just kinda sitting inside the lower body.  They aren't really connected in the first place, so how can you sever them?  What's needed is partial amputation, but I don't think the next version supports it.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1167 on: January 16, 2010, 07:14:02 am »

Right, forgot that unless amputated, a body part didn't exactly count as an item for most applications. Makes sense in most cases.

If I understand that correctly, you could at least strangle someone with severed guts, right?

Considering that in the current version, you can put someone in a chokehold with a rock...
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1168 on: January 16, 2010, 01:39:10 pm »

I think you can also put them in a chokehold with a knife. sword.

This sort of doesn't make sense in that they shouldn't be choking...
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Cody1750

• Bay Watcher
  • The Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1169 on: January 16, 2010, 02:33:27 pm »

If you look at the guts it will say stands in a pile of guts or something, it's been awhile though so I don't exactly remember.  It will also have a message for it when it is up against a wall.
Dieing is easy, living is the hard part.
Cacame Awemedinade, Elven Dwarf King, the universes awesomest elf ever.  Follower of The Way of Axe, Blood and Coal
If your armor was 50% as good as two other civs and 30% as good as a third, do you really think you'd do well in war? That'd be like trying to engage a rocket-launcher mounted Humvee with a pistol riding a tricycle.
Pages: 1 ... 76 77 [78] 79 80 ... 95