Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 ... 95

Author Topic: Cool things you just noticed in DF  (Read 248262 times)

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
Re: Cool things you just noticed in DF
« Reply #1020 on: November 21, 2009, 03:01:02 pm »

perhaps I misunderstood the devlog when it said that this was a current property of the (named) artifacts.

And perhaps that Artifact ring I thought tossed down the magma-hole didn't actually hit bottom before I quit and visited as an adventurer.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1021 on: November 21, 2009, 03:18:56 pm »

Artifacts that are 'lost' will be locatable somewhere on the site in Adventurer mode; they'll never come back in Fortress Mode.

I don't know if they'll come back if you reclaim.

Hoborobo234

• Bay Watcher
  • For the revolution!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1022 on: November 22, 2009, 06:41:17 am »

I think this is rather cool, even if considered a glitch.  no matter how many times you "chasm" that axe that the woodcutter went on a rampage with - gorywhispers the revenge of trees - it will keep coming back when someone new wanders into the Crystal Lake site.

Are you sure about the boomerang effect there (the coming back part)? I've never noticed that myself. I've only lost a few artifacts myself, one that got stolen (lack of security on my part, I've never had a stolen artifact since), and a few crafts that got chasmed.

I think this would only be good, if you opened up a Pit and one of the clowns was weilding the axe
Rather than having them directly force you to mine adamantine, I would suggest that they give you strange moods that require adamantine. "Dig out the adamantine or Urist here goes insane and dies" is suitably vicious.

(It occurs to me that you can probably get "Lovecraft" as the random name of your fortress. That's when you know you're screwed.)

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1023 on: November 22, 2009, 12:40:37 pm »

The only clowns I can picture wielding would melt the axe.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Hoborobo234

• Bay Watcher
  • For the revolution!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1024 on: November 22, 2009, 12:41:53 pm »

But wouldn;t it be indestructable?
Rather than having them directly force you to mine adamantine, I would suggest that they give you strange moods that require adamantine. "Dig out the adamantine or Urist here goes insane and dies" is suitably vicious.

(It occurs to me that you can probably get "Lovecraft" as the random name of your fortress. That's when you know you're screwed.)

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1025 on: November 22, 2009, 12:46:39 pm »

It can be destroyed. it will just come back if you visit in adventure mode.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Roland

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1026 on: November 22, 2009, 02:42:18 pm »

An elven village where almost everyone was incesting it up. There were multiple families (In a village of, say, 30 people) who had married their cousins. I found one person who had married his cousin and whose aunt and uncle were his cousins and cousins to each other. He was recruitable, so needless to say I recruited him and tried to kill him. It didn't work. My character died but then the elves plunged into a civil war because of me trying to kill him and him trying to kill me/protecting me from the other townsfolk. Thus ended the Age of the Elves and ushered in the Golden Age.

Nobody1225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1027 on: November 24, 2009, 12:49:49 am »

I've gotten pretty used to the gorn in adventurer mode--bits lopped off, pools of blood, and highly evocative combat reports...but this was a new one: "giant guts stuck to the wall" revealed in look mode--after striking a giant with an axe in such a way that his entrails shot out...and apparently towards the wall behind him, at that.

Sadly, after the next several strikes, his blood spray apparently took priority over the guts stuck on the wall, and it returned to the ol' "blood-stained gabbro wall".  Back to the psychotic thrill-seeking in hopes of getting a dwarf awesome enough to show up in my own civ's engravings, then.

theJ89

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1028 on: November 24, 2009, 03:43:03 am »

Your adventurer can become melancholy if he does unpleasant things (eating mud, drinking blood, etc).

When this happens he slows down to a speed of around 100 and ignores obvious dangers like falling into a chasm, drowning, etc.

But worse yet he doesn't get over it when you travel. He stays melancholy.

Oh, also. When you die, try checking the temperature, date, weather, etc for some funny messages.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2009, 03:45:27 am by theJ89 »

Blood-Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1029 on: November 25, 2009, 09:28:13 am »

this was a new one: "giant guts stuck to the wall"
i also got a message i never got before:

"You lash The Goblin Animal Trainer in the lower body with your Iron scourge!"
"It is broken!"
"The Goblin Animal Trainer`s entrails SHOOT out through the wound!"

i thought it was funny :)
Einsam stehn die schwarzen Zinnen,
Trotzen aller Zeiten Wirren.
So auch ich, komm sei mein Zeug:
Blutend, aber ungebeugt!

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #1030 on: November 27, 2009, 07:00:28 am »

Heh, I see such "funny" messages x10 every time I visit an elven forest retreat with my axedwarf.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

RustKnight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1031 on: November 28, 2009, 04:07:28 pm »

I learend that carps can drown o.O

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
« Reply #1032 on: November 28, 2009, 07:48:02 pm »

In real life, what happens if you drag a fish backwards or put it on land?
They air drown/just drown.
Thats what happened.

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1033 on: November 28, 2009, 08:13:27 pm »

But in DF, they drown in blood!
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

Hoborobo234

• Bay Watcher
  • For the revolution!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1034 on: November 29, 2009, 06:21:23 am »

Can they?

Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 ... 95