Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 95

Author Topic: Cool things you just noticed in DF  (Read 248188 times)

atomfullerene

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cool things you just noticed in DF
« Reply #825 on: September 18, 2009, 01:50:37 pm »

I noticed arrows can get stuck on top of trees (on the z-level above them).  Had some goblins shooting at the dwarfs on top of my fortress, and later found an arrow right above a tree growing next to my wall.  I was amused.  I cut down the tree and the arrow fell down.

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #826 on: September 18, 2009, 01:53:17 pm »

no, no, garnierite is green normally.

I'm just pointing it out cause it's a really rare stone, and I have no idea where they got enough of it to build a three-story temple.

Rare stone? I must have hit the motherlode then, because on my current fort I have over 200 Garnerite, and I haven't even done exploratory mining. All that stuff was just found near by bottomless pit. Too bad it's nearly worthless...
The end of the world is more fun then I expected.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #827 on: September 18, 2009, 03:39:12 pm »

Garnierite worthless?
Nickel and nickel silver are magma-safe, so you can use it instead of iron for the floodgates, etc.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #828 on: September 18, 2009, 07:15:54 pm »

Rare stone? I must have hit the motherlode then, because on my current fort I have over 200 Garnerite, and I haven't even done exploratory mining.

Forts tend to have a handful of mineral types repeated over and over again. For example, I have so much tin ore on my map, I built an entire goblin execution tower out of cassiterite, but I've only found a single vein of copper-bearing tetrahedrite. So no bronze. Also all my nobles like copper alloys like bronze and pewter, which was annoying because it took me almost twenty years to find that tetrahedrite.

you can also scroll through announcements and other menus with '9' and '3'!
I prefer pgup and pgdn myself

I use shift+up arrow and shift+down arrow, which I find much more convenient, as I don't have a numberpad (and I really don't like numberpads anyway).
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #829 on: September 19, 2009, 02:33:27 pm »

Not really a 'cool' thing, but neat anyhow. I just noticed that the rope or chain from the well shows up as a vertical line (same symbol as the spike trap) right under it when the bucket is full or something.

Time Kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • Evil Spirit
    • View Profile
« Reply #830 on: September 19, 2009, 11:58:41 pm »

Actually, it's while it's filling.

If you have a really high well, with plenty of room between it and the water, you can catch the bucket (of the proper colour) at the bottem of the rope.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #831 on: September 20, 2009, 07:42:51 am »

In temples that are fully engraved with a magma pool, if you take a heatimmune adventurer into the pool you will see that the bottom and sides of the pool are also engraved.

Temples dedicated to gods of order have nice evenly spaced pillars on the outside.

Temples dedicated to gods of chaos's pillars are randomly placed with no rhyme or reason.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

LordNagash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #832 on: September 20, 2009, 05:52:22 pm »

If you have a really high well, with plenty of room between it and the water, you can catch the bucket (of the proper colour) at the bottem of the rope.

In fact, you can watch it go all the way down and then come back up, if you're quick enough. It's beautiful to watch.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #833 on: September 20, 2009, 11:50:09 pm »

In fact, you can watch it go all the way down and then come back up, if you're quick enough. It's beautiful to watch.

I'm a year or to away from having a 15z level well. I will have to watch out for this.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Innominate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #834 on: September 21, 2009, 07:08:18 pm »

So I had some standard fun stuff, like stabbing a giant jaguar through the heart and both lungs on the first lunge of my spear, and losing my spear against a wolf pack and beating them all to death with my shield.

But now after slaughtering a helpless elf farmer, I get an unusual message:
The Pike has drowned.

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
« Reply #835 on: September 21, 2009, 07:17:57 pm »

The pikes water dried up. The End.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #836 on: September 21, 2009, 07:59:29 pm »

So I had some standard fun stuff, like stabbing a giant jaguar through the heart and both lungs on the first lunge of my spear, and losing my spear against a wolf pack and beating them all to death with my shield.

But now after slaughtering a helpless elf farmer, I get an unusual message:
The Pike has drowned.

Heh. It sounds like it tried to get at you with its eternal Pikish fury, then realized it couldn't breathe air.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2009, 08:05:07 pm by Vester »
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Siru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #837 on: September 22, 2009, 09:35:06 am »

My adventurer failed at assassinating this town leader and she died. I check it out in legends and learn that they put my adventurer's corpse on a pike/stick in town.

here is also one in Dwarf mode. After creating some artifacts they showed up in images on items sent with the merchants from the Mountainhomes.

Mondark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #838 on: September 22, 2009, 12:14:48 pm »

My adventurer failed at assassinating this town leader and she died. I check it out in legends and learn that they put my adventurer's corpse on a pike/stick in town.

I think you can actually go back (at least to goblin towers that do this) and see the spike, complete with head/etc.
Fefeshnelmargalip

Innominate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #839 on: September 22, 2009, 07:06:01 pm »

I think you can actually go back (at least to goblin towers that do this) and see the spike, complete with head/etc.
I had some elves do that to my human after slaughtering 5 elves (fresh out of character creation). Now I have an urge to return with a new one, steal the spike and kill the town with it.
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 95