Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 95

Author Topic: Cool things you just noticed in DF  (Read 248135 times)

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
Re: Cool things you just noticed in DF
« Reply #720 on: September 06, 2009, 11:35:55 pm »

Where is the third leg protruding from?
The beard?

...That is the beard, right? RIGHT?!?!! >_<

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #721 on: September 07, 2009, 01:25:53 am »

Actually we don't know how tall Dwarves are, all we know is that they're 1 size category smaller than Humans, who are 1 size category smaller than Elves.
acctualy elves are the same size as humans.

Oh hey, so they are.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #722 on: September 07, 2009, 01:29:05 am »

If they were bigger than humans, they might actually stand a chance in hand-to-hand combat.

Which they don't. Because they're elves.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #723 on: September 07, 2009, 01:37:54 am »

The -1 Damblock probably doesn't help.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #724 on: September 07, 2009, 01:40:55 am »

Really?

Wow, I never noticed that in the raws. Certainly doesn't help that they use wooden armor.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

blah28722

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #725 on: September 07, 2009, 01:42:14 am »

Elves are actually slightly stronger than dwarves in terms of offense, but slightly worse in terms of defense.

Of course, once you add stats and armor into that, all genetics go out the window.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #726 on: September 07, 2009, 01:43:39 am »

They're 1 better in terms of offence due to their size, but are 1 worse at defence due to their -1 damblock and dwarves getting a +1 damblock.

durt101

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #727 on: September 07, 2009, 02:04:32 am »

How does size benefit combat performance?

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #728 on: September 07, 2009, 02:12:16 am »

the star of the latest ambush, resting in bed, who wrestled up from nothing to off a few gobs? Worships a god of mercy and forgiveness. Also, he is not easily moved to pity. >_>

and...huh, -1 damblock. I knew about the +1 for dwarfs, but not that.

size benefits like this:like this- if you're bigger, you'll do a random amount of extra damage [0,diff], if you're smaller, you'll do less by the difference, flatly.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2009, 02:18:22 am by CobaltKobold »
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #729 on: September 07, 2009, 02:55:35 am »

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #730 on: September 07, 2009, 03:54:10 am »

How does size benefit combat performance?

If you're bigger than the target you're attacking, you get a random amount between 0 and the size difference added to your attacks. If you're smaller than the target your're attacking then the size difference is just flat subtracted from all attacks you make against it.

Size also has the advantage that unlike armor and\or damblock it's not ignored by critical hits.

Bricks

• Bay Watcher
  • Because you never need one brick.
    • View Profile
« Reply #731 on: September 07, 2009, 01:57:26 pm »

I just noticed how all of the buildings in a town can be connected to a road by a winding sandy path.  Very useful for when I am stalking my next target.

If you throw an object at someone, and miss, it can still hit someone near them.
EMPATHY - being able to feel other peoples' stuff.

Gothmog

• Bay Watcher
  • Demands item in bedroom
    • View Profile
« Reply #732 on: September 07, 2009, 02:12:32 pm »

I already knew (and observed) that one can see glowing goblin eyes in the dark when a Goblin is close but out of line-of-sight.

But right now my human adventurer is climbing a vast mountain to "visit" the elven enclave that is hidden on the other side. I was getting excited when I saw a strange yellow light moving around far away from my meager (it was night) LOS. Must be a firefly glowing in the dark, an amazing little detail, so I took a screenshot to show you.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Then I realized it would be cool to catch the bug to show you as awesome proof and started to hunt the little insect... well... as it turns out it wasn't a firefly after all.

I now try to find a suitable name for her, because she'll be my companion forever... or at least until I run out of emergency rations

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #733 on: September 07, 2009, 03:15:21 pm »

Hmm, -1 damblock?  So that's another reason why they suck!

I think it'll probably be rather different in the next version though.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #734 on: September 07, 2009, 04:49:21 pm »

I already knew (and observed) that one can see glowing goblin eyes in the dark when a Goblin is close but out of line-of-sight.

But right now my human adventurer is climbing a vast mountain to "visit" the elven enclave that is hidden on the other side. I was getting excited when I saw a strange yellow light moving around far away from my meager (it was night) LOS. Must be a firefly glowing in the dark, an amazing little detail, so I took a screenshot to show you.

Then I realized it would be cool to catch the bug to show you as awesome proof and started to hunt the little insect... well... as it turns out it wasn't a firefly after all.

I now try to find a suitable name for her, because she'll be my companion forever... or at least until I run out of emergency rations

That's awesome.

I tried that with a catfish. It suffocated when I took it out of the water, so I had to eat it.
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 95