Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 95

Author Topic: Cool things you just noticed in DF  (Read 248418 times)

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
Re: Cool things you just noticed in DF
« Reply #300 on: April 10, 2009, 06:16:26 pm »

"The wolf vomits."
"The vomit vanishes into the water."

Also,

"The elf is caught in a burst of steam."

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: April 10, 2009, 08:47:50 pm »

About the ancient mules, all wagonpulling/trade creatures in DF are immortal in vanilla. That means mules, horses, donkeys, muskoxen and both kinds of camels. I've heard that this is so that it won't cause problems if a caravan spawns in fortress mode and one or more of their pack animals die of old age.

I've had a muskox die of old age... just a few days ago, actually!

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: April 10, 2009, 10:21:07 pm »

About the ancient mules, all wagonpulling/trade creatures in DF are immortal in vanilla. That means mules, horses, donkeys, muskoxen and both kinds of camels. I've heard that this is so that it won't cause problems if a caravan spawns in fortress mode and one or more of their pack animals die of old age.

I've had a muskox die of old age... just a few days ago, actually!

I might be wrong about the muskoxen and camels. I haven't had the files to check myself recently, i'm stuck using a computer which can hardly play videos let alone run df until my computer is fixed.
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.

Hoborobo234

• Bay Watcher
  • For the revolution!
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: April 11, 2009, 10:02:51 am »

When createing a new world, i noticed human towns would cut down trees. How do I know this.? the 'Tree' tiles indicating a forest, turned to 'Grass' for plains and grasslands!! This also occurs when a human force takes over a forest retreat. Then, i noticed how when the Human forest retreat was abandond and became a ruin, the trees grew back. Brilliant. 100 % gold.
Rather than having them directly force you to mine adamantine, I would suggest that they give you strange moods that require adamantine. "Dig out the adamantine or Urist here goes insane and dies" is suitably vicious.

(It occurs to me that you can probably get "Lovecraft" as the random name of your fortress. That's when you know you're screwed.)

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: April 16, 2009, 03:12:06 pm »

Blowing up enemy bodies and examaining the wall next to which they blew up results in the message.

Here we have a <coprse name> and much gore

Blowing up a few bodies

Here we have some coprses and much gore
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: April 17, 2009, 12:37:22 am »

So gore is a constant, meaning there will always be gore, oh praise Armok!

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: April 18, 2009, 02:20:14 pm »

Okay, this is going to take some explaining, and I have a wide screen so I won't give screen shots, but in my current fort, one of my civilization's deities is Atast, a skeletal male dwarf who is associated with suicide, death, war, fortresses and earth.  Considering that I have had more deaths than current residents after only 6 years, I think he makes a good chief deity for my fort.

Now, I have several worshipers of Atast, so one of them ended up as an engraver.  While I was looking through the engravings on my walls, I noticed this one:

Daselmishos, "The Heavenly Beaches"

On the wall is an image of a coffin by Oddom Shedkol.

I am not sure if he is just drawing what he sees(there are coffins all along the main hallway), or if he is dedicating this chunk of wall to his grim reaper object of worship, but either way, I found it cool.
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

Sartorius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: April 18, 2009, 03:10:26 pm »

I just got a message that an antman was surprised by the ferocity of a charging farmer, who punched the antman in the head so hard that her hand broke and the antman's brain was mangled.

And she's still going, breaking necks of cave swallowmen while having rats attached to her feet.

Now she's strangling a cave rat with one hand, punching a swallowman with the other, while a cave rat is attached to her foot.

So, my character says to her: You must be a mighty warrior indeed.
She says: I am a farmer.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2009, 03:17:25 pm by Sartorius »
"Life is, in a word, trade."
"Let's trade."
"You should probably try a shopkeeper."

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: April 18, 2009, 07:03:17 pm »

I am not sure if he is just drawing what he sees(there are coffins all along the main hallway), or if he is dedicating this chunk of wall to his grim reaper object of worship, but either way, I found it cool.

If there's a lot of one particular subject that all have the same name, it may be the symbol of your civilization or fortress. Try turning on full engraving descriptions in the init.txt file and take another look at them.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: April 18, 2009, 08:02:35 pm »

you can kill your own mother in adventure mode

Axe27

• Bay Watcher
  • Put down the crossbow
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: April 18, 2009, 08:30:25 pm »

Yeah. Because jumping into water is THAT STUNNING!

Considering water freezes at night even in moderate climates, I image that jumping into that water is actually that stunning.
And thus did the dream of dwarven antigravity fade away, not with a massive explosion or a flood of magma, but with a whimper.

I'm going to be depressed all day now.

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: April 18, 2009, 08:32:56 pm »

If there's a lot of one particular subject that all have the same name, it may be the symbol of your civilization or fortress. Try turning on full engraving descriptions in the init.txt file and take another look at them.

No, my civilization has tanned hides as its symbol and the local group has a rendition of a dwarf as its symbol.  I like to think that it is a stick figure dwarf.
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

Daft

• Bay Watcher
  • Enthusiastic but Incompetent.
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: April 18, 2009, 11:21:51 pm »

Maybe the dude just has 'coffins' listed among his interests. Or something.

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: April 19, 2009, 11:15:15 am »

Considering you have no mother?
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: April 20, 2009, 09:28:52 pm »

Considering you have no mother?

Yeah, in adventure mode you just kinda spawn out of thin air. Having an actual history before you start playing is intended to be a feature in a future version though.

...Wait, did Yanlin just call bull on someone?
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 95