Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 95

Author Topic: Cool things you just noticed in DF  (Read 241899 times)

Jetman123

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Bauxite Turbojet!!
    • View Profile
Re: Cool things you just noticed in DF
« Reply #60 on: October 18, 2008, 04:52:33 am »

It doesn't explode. It burns.

In Fortress Mode it burns quite well. In Adventure mode it just scalds from boiling. That's probably what killed the dragon. :P
When dwarves want to commit suicide, then by Armok, they _will_ commit suicide, even if they have to spend the rest of their lives working at it!

Aranna

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 18, 2008, 04:02:23 pm »

Things I knew about stuck ins:
Things that I know do: Bolts, Swords, spears, and any other pierce damage weapon/ammo.
Blunt don`t do my knowledge.
BUT I learned that a axe can get stuck in...almost got my adventurer killed.  :'(

EDIT: also I found out 2 things about playing a Spirit of Fire. One is that you evaporate water and sublime(from solid to gas) ice. The other is that if you grab anything that will melt/burn at your temperature, it will melt/burn when ya grab it.  ;)
« Last Edit: October 18, 2008, 06:50:41 pm by Aranna »

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 19, 2008, 07:01:35 pm »

In a new fort, I just realized one of my dwarves idles in strange places.  While everyone else idles in the meeting area on the top floor, she idles one floor below all by her lonesome.  I checked her personality and noticed "she tends to avoid crowds."  That's pretty awesome.

hamsterfury

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 22, 2008, 12:37:42 pm »

I was playing a fortress with a lava tube on the surface, attempting to do a lot of mining groundwork before actually building underground. At the time all my food stockpiles and workshops were outside. After the occasional imp attack, the grass caught fire and swept through the entire map. Sadly dwarves cannot live on ash and I had to abandon, but the fire effect was something I'd never seen.

Efun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 22, 2008, 04:54:59 pm »

I entered a random town, spoke to a priest and he told me life in a word is pain, he latter explained all I need to know could be answered by talking to an entity he called "Doomtower", after this I could indeed target the ground anywhere in town and speak to "Doomtower", but sadly, the god would not answer me...

There is a town in one of my worlds that worships gambling.... Praise Gambling.....Life in one word is gambling
Military dorfs are the busiest if their partner is also in the military, Military children are my forts future, also its hilariously tragic when a mother carrying her child into battle gets hit, and the baby dies....
I fixed that up for you.

Kishmond

• Bay Watcher
  • What the pfargtl?
    • View Profile
    • My DF Stories blog.
« Reply #65 on: October 22, 2008, 08:59:39 pm »

You can save embark profiles!

Cool!

Cles

• Bay Watcher
  • I need some Cave Spider silk parachutes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 21, 2008, 03:30:48 pm »

Sorry for bringing this thing back from the depths of time, but...

That beak dogs have arms.

It's possible to smash something so hard into an obstacle that the smashee explodes into bits.

Creating a world with a lot of caves creates a hell of a lot of semi megabeasts.

Human children are hardcore. I've seen one strangle a berserking horse to death.

If a shopkeeper is killed by, say, a berserk horse, you still can't take the items. :/

Even a bronze colossus dies if encased in ice. (I'd like to see this chance in later updates. It would be cool if when playing as something that doesn't breathe, eat or drink and can stand extreme temperatures you become an adventurersicle for the winter, you can retire for a bit so when spring comes around you may move continue. Same with magma, though in this case, and I guess also in the case of being frozen in a glacier you'd need someone to dig you out, like, say, another adventurer.

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 21, 2008, 03:52:07 pm »

Or dig it out in fortress mode xD

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 21, 2008, 03:59:02 pm »

We've struck cavedwarf!
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

Cles

• Bay Watcher
  • I need some Cave Spider silk parachutes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 21, 2008, 04:03:26 pm »

That would be honestly frightening as my adventure mode character (at least the one who has survived thus far) is a bronze colossus Legendary shield user...

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 21, 2008, 07:50:30 pm »

A Camel that I encountered deep with my adventurer in one of my abandoned fortresses (probably left over from some traders) wearing a full set of clothes ;D
(and I mean everything a normal person (human or elf, s they were of large size) would wear, socks and shoes on each of the 4 legs, a skirt (it was a female camel after all ;D ) loincloth, dress and so on. The best thing it wore was a camel leather coat ;D

Wut?

That's a bug right there, you should report it. Since all animals (that have a max age?) die upon abandon it can't have been yours. Also, camels don't (shouldn't) have [EQUIPS] so they shouldn't be wearing clothes anyways. Did you do any modding?

hmmmmm maybe, dwarves in your fortress tranform into the creatures that are there after you abondon it. keeping all there stuff on.

Emmanovi

• Bay Watcher
  • Why do we play DF? For Dwarven Science, of course!
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 28, 2008, 03:27:03 pm »

Cool things?

I was having some fun with a smallish world. I let it run for full 1050 years, then went for some adventuring.

A human started off in a town, asked the Mayor for a quest - and he got one! Go kill an Elven druid... (who lived in a Dwarven mountain hall... I gather there was a lot of conquesting in the 1050 years).

Anyway, go kill many elves, come back, get another quest, repeat a few times...

Until he stops giving quests, and my adventurer gets cocky and tries to attack a goblin fort (populated by humans with very evil mindsets, the priests asked me to consider torture. I declined). Eventually, after fighting for a long time against Priestesses (he is crawling around with a broken hip, trying to escape) he dodges around 15 bolts before being killed by one.

Before he died, he was Risas Openedbrain the Heroic Portal of Acting. (I liked the name).

So, I start a new adventurer (this time making my own little "party" of random people first) and go talk to the same Mayor, hoping for some more quests to kill elves.  :)

And what does he say?

"Our people have been tormented by a fearsome foe."
"Kill Lálcil Admiredashes the Recruit"
"This vile fiend murdered Risas Openedbrain the Heroic Portal of Acting!"

So, not only was my adventurer so famous he gained titles and prestige, but his death was enough to cause the humans to go to war with the Goblin Tower humans (who they seemed to have no disagreement with), and then label the killer of my adventurer a wanted target!

Now that impresses me!  ;)
This is Dwarf Fortress, a masterly crafted game. It is adorned with bands of epic, and is studded with spikes of awesome. On the game is an image of a toad and many dwarves. The dwarves are worshipping the toad. The toad is laughing. The dwarves are dying.

Jetman123

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Bauxite Turbojet!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 28, 2008, 10:53:10 pm »

Wow! I had absolutely no idea that could happen! :O
When dwarves want to commit suicide, then by Armok, they _will_ commit suicide, even if they have to spend the rest of their lives working at it!

Aranna

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 29, 2008, 02:41:15 pm »

wow... if you play as a adventurer that has a throat, but does not breath, and the giant starts to strangle your throat you gain wrestling experience from the attacks. I got to skilled in like 30 seconds from standing there.  ;)

Astus Ater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 24, 2008, 10:36:37 am »

Sorry to necro, but I just realized its possible to lock-pick in this game.

In Fortress mode, create a door, set it up, and use "l" to forbid passage. Then abandon, and send an adventurer out there. When you try to move through the door, you can either a:bash the door open(destroys door completely); or b: Lock-pick(which turns it into a normal unlocked door).

I can't wait until theres a lock-picking skill, so that some goblins could open locked doors and completely mess up your defence plans.
Legendary Liar:  "I just stabbed you and you died.  Sorry."
Victim:  "Well, if you say so." *thud*
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 95