Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 95

Author Topic: Cool things you just noticed in DF  (Read 248380 times)

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cool things you just noticed in DF
« Reply #165 on: February 05, 2009, 07:51:36 pm »

Very true

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: February 05, 2009, 08:16:06 pm »

Hello!

You have annual floods???

What kind of location does have that? I thought they got extinct since we changed to 3D. This could be very, very interesting news for me. So, you have my full attention.

Deathworks

It's a desert map with several rivers that join together. It's also temperate, so the water freezes during part of the year. Not sure exactly what causes it, but basically the rivers have extra water on top of them. During spring, this is enough to majorly overflow the banks and muddy up a large around around it. I've tamed things a bit since then with some reservoirs (for fishing), so it's not as big a deal as it was when I first started. Still, pretty cool.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: February 05, 2009, 08:37:43 pm »

Damn straight! Finally, I can see what I missed in the first version. To an extent. Kind of.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: February 05, 2009, 08:39:46 pm »

Oh, yeah, and there are some sand dunes 1-2 z levels high around the rivers. That might also have something to do with it.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!

Emmanovi

• Bay Watcher
  • Why do we play DF? For Dwarven Science, of course!
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: February 06, 2009, 11:22:52 am »

I was playing the Fallout mod today, and I glanced into the beliefs of one of my vault dwellers.

Itęg the Mangy Spurt is a deity of the Labyrinthine Genius. Itęg most often takes the form of a rotting female vault dweller and is associated with death, disease and deformity.

I never knew deities could take the form of anything other than the plain male or female form.
This is Dwarf Fortress, a masterly crafted game. It is adorned with bands of epic, and is studded with spikes of awesome. On the game is an image of a toad and many dwarves. The dwarves are worshipping the toad. The toad is laughing. The dwarves are dying.

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: February 06, 2009, 11:48:49 am »

It's a desert map with several rivers that join together. It's also temperate, so the water freezes during part of the year. Not sure exactly what causes it, but basically the rivers have extra water on top of them. During spring, this is enough to majorly overflow the banks and muddy up a large around around it. I've tamed things a bit since then with some reservoirs (for fishing), so it's not as big a deal as it was when I first started. Still, pretty cool.

You have found Egypt awesomeness!  Truly, you must be proclaimed pharaoh!
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: February 06, 2009, 12:47:33 pm »

Pity I don't have limestone. But I guess I could make a Dolomite pyramid.
Come play Mafia with us!

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: February 06, 2009, 03:28:03 pm »

...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: February 06, 2009, 03:37:58 pm »

Hi!

I agree, that's Egypt alright. And about the limestone, can't you get it from the dwarven caravan (depends on civ)? It would actually fit nicely. The material for the original pyramids was also transported quite some way if I recall correctly.

A minor thing that I find interesting is that the unhappiness meetings can vary. I wonder whether there is a pattern to it:

My cat dwarf is currently riding from ecstatic down to very unhappy regularly because of the non-burial bug. The first time five cats died on him, he "cried on" the expedition leader. Actually, that wasn't enough, so shortly afterwards, he "yelled at" her. Thus far, he suffered two more major pet losses, and each time, he responded with a "yelled at". I wonder whether this is random, or whether there is a mechanism behind this.

Deathworks

TheNewerMartianEmperor

• Bay Watcher
  • ♥She'd cut you up!♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: February 08, 2009, 02:47:21 am »

I think it depends on the pacifier/consoler skill of the dwarf who's being cried on/yelled at.
Once tried to conquer Earth, and succeeded! Too bad it got really, really boring, really, really fast.

One day, we shall all look back on this, and laugh. Sorry about the face, by the way, and the legs, and the eyes, and the arms. In fact, sorry 'bout the whole body.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: February 08, 2009, 03:06:35 am »

how much stone do merchants bring anyway? it can't be much, that shit be heavy.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: February 08, 2009, 04:58:06 am »

Hi!

Well, they can bring quite a lot, although I am not sure about a limit for individual stones. My average dwarven caravan brings 4 microcline blocks, 4 orthoclase blocks, 4 granite blocks, 4 hematite blocks (the only red stuff they offer (T_T)), 4 mica blocks, 4 cobaltite blocks, 4 bitominous coal, 4 charcoal, 4 galena, 4 cassiterite, 4 hematite, 4 lignite, 4 magnetite, 4 limonite, 4 brass bars, 4 tower cap wood, a little electrum, pewter, nickel, platinum, other stones/ores. And the dwarven caravan is really small (about 4 wagons). Numbers vary slightly based on what I ordered. This year, I only got 3 of some of them as I also ordered some other stones to see if I get something interesting interesting, and I maxed out the caravan - no additional goods this year (usually, with the above, they also bring food, armor, weapons, cages, and so on).

So, in my experience, you could get 8 blocks worth of a single stone (4 blocks + 4 stones), but this limit could be due to my small caravan size (the human caravan is about twice as big, I think).

Deathworks

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: February 08, 2009, 05:35:07 am »

Not bad. I, in, take it hematite blocks can't be smelted?

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: February 09, 2009, 11:42:48 am »

They can with magma! But you wont get much from it.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: February 09, 2009, 12:32:21 pm »

Hi!

Well, they are finished objects, so I would need to melt them down. I have never tried, though, as I have specifically requested them so I can do red buildings.

Deathworks
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 95