Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 28

Author Topic: Angcuggan Okbod: The Red Sands of Doom  (Read 27650 times)

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Angcuggan Okbod: The Red Sands of Doom
« Reply #255 on: November 27, 2008, 06:11:29 pm »

Shoruke, I think I should let you know why goblin clothing is valuable; the mountainhomes just resell it to the goblins.

There, I said it. The secret's out.

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
  • There's a Prinny in Fire Emblem, dood!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: November 27, 2008, 10:14:33 pm »

Oh hey... that makes sense in a sick-perverted-logic kinduva way. THE NOBLES ARE AGAINST US BOTH HERE AND AT THE MOUNTAINHOMES!

Next game year, I think I'm going to post all the 'fun updatey stuff' like kill lists, stats and skills, stuff like that. If anyone requests it I can post a picture of your profile page.

Shoruke's Log. 4th of Obsidian. (late winter, year 23)
It's about the coldest time of the year... but it's still not even slightly cool around here. I can at least be grateful that I don't have Dracnor's job; I was chatting with him over breakfast a couple days ago and apparently it's way hotter in the forges than outside. Still, my "the grass is greener" side still misses the days when my stockpile records didn't update themselves. I've been helping with The Tower for the past month (it's the only thing that ANYONE has been doing, one way or another), which means I've been outside a lot carving, constructing, and loading stuff. Inaluct and the other glassmakers have been working their butts off in the glass furnaces and kilns, and Glack isn't able to keep up with his tree-cutting... not that there's very many trees.

We've got it set up so that we don't need to worry about the goblins shooting up into The Tower from close range, or down into the Glass Hallway from even closer range.

We're expanding the number of cage traps outside of The Gate. Once these additional traps are set up, the goblins are going to need extra manpower if they want to have a prayer of getting through The Gate.

Speaking of defenses, I'm thinking that when (it's gotta be 'when' and not 'if'... right?) we get those immigrants I've been wanting so badly, a bunch of them are going to be drafted into the military as marksdwarves. There's no point in having so many fortifications around The Tower if nobody's there to shoot through them, right?

To summarize, the entire month was spent on The Tower pretty much. The ground floor is complete, just some rock walls to build (very few of them) and some cage traps to set up. The first floor is half done; the west side (which has The Gate) and the south side are both complete. We're out of logs, but we've got enough ashes, potash, and pearlash to make clear glass production last a while.

[/Shoruke's Log]

So, we have 32 goblins (some of which are Hero level), 9 skeletal one-humped camels, and a legendary titan all in cages... any suggestions for the next arena match? I'll give everyone a couple days to post.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2008, 10:16:52 pm by shoruke »
The Unforgotten Beast, Shoruke, has come! A pale-skinned human. It has heterochromatic eyes and moves in an unpredictable manner. Beware its rapier wit!

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: November 27, 2008, 11:35:30 pm »

Rick, Rick, Rick, Rick, Rick, Rick, Rick, Rick, Rick!!!!!! Start him off with say, 20, unarmed gobbos, the remaining twelve remain unarmed but armored, and then once he slaughters all of them in two different waves, see if he measures up to the captain in naked titan wrestling.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

theevilmonk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: November 28, 2008, 11:24:17 am »

I say release the goblins on one side of the arena (unarmed and unarmored of course) the skamels in the middle and the titan on the other side. Deathmatch where the winner gets shot by me from my tower!

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: November 28, 2008, 07:02:10 pm »

I say unarmed, unarmored Rick and 5 unarmed nobles/recruits vs the titan, without scumming. Let's see if Rick can protect the nobles.

Snuffs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: November 29, 2008, 07:03:40 pm »

OH CRIPES I'm sorry about the movie everyone. I guess I linked to the page that lets me edit the movie, as opposed to the page where you can actually watch the flipping thing. I think it works now.

how did Snuffs watch it then?

Uh...  when I hit the broken page, I just searched for movies with you as the author, and found it.

Awesome stuff in the meantime.  I like Inaluct's arena match idea, except that I think scumming should be acceptable, considering what happened behind the scenes in Nist Akath.

Axe27

• Bay Watcher
  • Put down the crossbow
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: November 30, 2008, 02:20:18 pm »

No.

Titan should take on the skamels and the gobbos, and then Rick should take on the Titan.

Bonus points is the Titan equips a shield and socks.
And thus did the dream of dwarven antigravity fade away, not with a massive explosion or a flood of magma, but with a whimper.

I'm going to be depressed all day now.

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: December 02, 2008, 08:39:03 pm »

Okay, so... by taking the various responses and screwing them all up, I get two arena matches (because I can't guarantee the Titan would win against the goblins on his own).

The first match is the main event. Rick vs. the Titan. I think I'll take pains to get some of the nobles in there too. And yes I'll give the titan clothing (really big clothing).
The other match is a bit of a let-down compared to the "defender of the nobles" scenario, so I think I'll postpone gobbos vs. skamels for a while... until we have MORE of them! Bwahaha.

Shoruke's Log. 1st of Granite. (early spring, year twenty... three? Nope, four. Twenty four.)
Well I guess today marks the beginning of our eighth year as a fortress.

We're out of unoccupied cages, so I'm having the glassmakers make some more so we can continue expanding the cage trap area outside The Gate.

I had some levers, which aren't attached to anything, set up in the arena. The next arena match (once again starring Rick; he needs the practice since he doesn't spar) will be Rick and a few nobles vs. that legendary titan. My money is on Rick. Some people were suggesting that we give the titan some socks for comedic effect, which sounds good to me. Someone else suggested that Rick do the fight naked, which sounds just... repulsive. It would scare any sane dwarf out of their mind. That said... imagine what it will do to the nearby nobles. I guess I'll have to run it by Rick. The aforementioned levers are to lure the nobles into the arena, since I technically can't draft them into the military and station them in the arena.

The second level of The Tower is roughly... 19/32s done. Just over half. The west and south side are completely built and carved, the north side is partially built but not yet carved.

I suppose I should release some documents to the public, too... I need to make a list of the lists I need to make. Sheesh.
-Skill lists of our named dwarves
-Dwarf count
-Kill lists
-Fortress wealth
-a 'drawing' of the whole flipping fortress...
-the justice records (which I assume will be out-of-date quickly, because of the Count Consort's leopard leather items demand)
« Last Edit: December 02, 2008, 09:33:32 pm by shoruke »
The Unforgotten Beast, Shoruke, has come! A pale-skinned human. It has heterochromatic eyes and moves in an unpredictable manner. Beware its rapier wit!

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: December 02, 2008, 09:18:16 pm »

The Skill Lists! (which do no list communication skills, except perhaps a couple of my own which are relevant to my job)

Emperor:
-legendary miner
-competent grower
-dabbling wrestler
-dabbling swimmer

Elfbane:
-dabbling herbalist
-dabbling furnace operator
-legendary miner
-competent grower
-dabbling wrestler

Glack:
-dabbling building designer
-dabbling herbalist
-expert wood cutter
-proficient carpenter (I would be suspicious of this title if we had carp around our fortress... Carp-Enter?)
-novice grower
-dabbling bowyer
-dabbling siege engineer
-dabbling mason
-dabbling axedwarf
-dabbling wrestler

Dracnor:
-dabbling herbalist
-dabbling wood burner
-talented furnace operator
-weaponsmith
-armorsmith
-grower
-dabbling clothier (I don't even remember how he got that one)

Inaluct:
-legendary glassmaker
-dabbling grower
-dabbling mason

Kornash:
-novice dyer
-tanner
-novice herbalist
-great grower
-competent brewer
-novice butcher
-competent cook
-fish cleaner
-dabbling thresher
-novice wood burner
-novice potash maker

Lambskin:
-dabbling mason
-adept mechanic
-dabbling siege engineer
-legendary siege operator
-novice grower

Shoruke:
-adept judge of intent
-dabbling building designer
-dabbling mason
-dabbling herbalist
-legendary record keeper
-proficient grower
-legendary appraiser
-high master organizer
-siege operator
-dabbling siege engineer
-dabbling miner
-adept engraver
-mechanic
-dabbling metalsmith
-dabbling weaponsmith
-dabbling armorsmith
(because I am demi-noble and don't partake in almost any hauling, I clear my conscience by being a jack-of-whatever-trade-is-needed when I'm bored. I also like helping set up The Tower.)

Thuellai:
-animal caretaker
-legendary furnace operator (how the hell he got this before Dracnor, I'll never know...)
-metal crafter
-competent animal trainer
-novice metalsmith
-grower
-novice armorsmith
-dabbling weaponsmith

Monk:
-novice wrestler
-legendary marksdwarf
-dabbling hammerdwarf (I should really have him train in this...)
-novice armor user
-dabbling shield user

Flint:
-accomplished armor user
-legendary swordsdwarf
-proficient wrestler
-legendary shield user

Sir Geo:
-expert armor user
-legendary swordsdwarf
-competent wrestler
-grand master shield user

Banzay:
-animal dissector
-dabbling siege engineer
-novice grower
-siege operator
-dabbling mason
-mechanic
-novice wrestler
-armor user
-skilled shield user
-proficient speardwarf

Void:
-lye maker
-novice grower
-competent glassmaker
-potash maker
-novice wood burner
-dabbling wrestler
-talented marksdwarf

Maggarg:
-skilled animal caretaker
-wrestler
-accomplished shield user
-talented armor user
-grand master axedwarf

Rick RFB:
-great macedwarf
-master armor user
-grand master shield user
-proficient wrestler
-dabbling ambusher
-legendary defender of the fortress (I made that one up, obviously)

The Unit/Profession list! (how many of which type of dwarves we have)

Total Population: 121, not including animals
4 miners
4 woodworkers
8 stoneworkers
0 rangers (not a lot to hunt out here)
7 metalsmiths
2 jewelers (who mostly do other stuff)
19 craftsdwarves
6 nobles
0 untrained stupid idiot peasants
11 children/babies
6 fishmongers
20 farmers
3 engineers
9 legendary champions
3 axedwarves
2 axe lords
4 swordsdwarves
1 macedwarf
1 mace lord
1 hammerdwarf
1 speardwarf
3 marksdwarves
1 elite marksdwarf
2 wrestlers
3 recruits
11 trained dogs
34 other animals

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: December 02, 2008, 09:33:12 pm »

The Kill Count Competition!

Monk: 13 notable, twenty other
Void: 3 notable, 1 other
Flint: 11 notable, 20 other
Maggarg: 9 notable, 3 other
Fath (the no-name axedwarf): 16 notable, 9 other
Sir Geo: 18 notable, 9 other
Banzy: 0 kills (he's been training)
Rick RFB: 101 notable, 249 other (that took some scrolling)

Fortress' wealth!
Total Created Wealth: 1,761,681 ☼
weapons: 12,470 ☼
armor/garb: 326,367 ☼
furniture: 210,935 ☼
other objects: 577,425 ☼
architecture: 327,882 ☼
displayed (?): 212,198 ☼
held/worn: 94,404 ☼

Imported Wealth: 231,325 ☼
Exported Wealth: 48,533 ☼ (somehow I don't think this includes exports of goblin/elven clothing)

Total worth of artifacts: 391,200 ☼
Despite not creating an artifact for a while, artifacts make up 22.21% of our fortress' total created wealth.

Total Food Stores: 5556
Meat: 147
Fish: 7
Plant: 37
Seeds: 2220 (think we have enough?)
drink: 777 (I pass no comments on this one)
other (i.e. prepared meals): 2368

Justice Records! Boo!
Urist, craftsdwarf vs. tax collector (beating, complete)
Monk, champion vs. countess (jail sentence, complete)
Inaluct, glassmaker vs. count consort (jail sentence, complete)
Solon, craftsdwarf vs. tax collector ((I think) beating, complete)

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: December 02, 2008, 10:17:23 pm »

...Because I dislike uploading maps, I'll do it later. For now, on with the story.

Shoruke's Log. 14th of Granite. (early spring, year 24)
Elves are idiots. They've come as a caravan again. I'm getting paranoid about these guys. Are they plotting something? Surely, after killing so many merchants, stealing so much stuff, and even killing the flipping diplomat, they should be pissed at us. I'm going to steal their stuff and then kill them, so that they can't report our defense statuses back to their HQ or elder or druid or whatever. Plus, it would ease my conscience for the elves to declare open war so I can stop stressing about their subterfuge, so I think I'll edge them on a bit. And just how many trees do we have to chop down for the elves to get mad at us?!?

Shoruke's Log. 23rd of Granite. (early spring)
Well, the elves have left... we were unable to (safely) kill them. I'd forgotten that I'd removed the levers to close the floodgates in the Glass Hallway. But I'll get them next time.

At least we got their stuff. Wood (44 logs)! And therefore ash! And therefore potash! And therefore pearlash! And therefore clear glass! A'plenty!

Shoruke's Log. 26th of Granite. (early spring)
Maggarg has become a legendary champion! Hail Maggarg!
« Last Edit: December 02, 2008, 10:26:28 pm by shoruke »

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: December 04, 2008, 04:07:07 pm »

Shoruke's Log. 10th of Slate. (mid spring, year 24)
Some skamels were harassing the mechanics when they were loading the extra cage traps today. They were of course, caught in the cage traps. So that potential disaster was averted.

I was talking to Rick today, and asked him what he thought about naked titan wrestling. We established that the term 'naked titan wrestling' probably involves one naked dwarf and one naked titan, and then proceeded to agree that, if Rick was to be involved in this activity, he should at least keep his pants "for decency's sake".

I quite agree.

Shoruke's Log. 12th of Slate. (mid spring) (yes it's two days later)
OMG MIGRANTS!! And with them? Our new hammerer.

Wait... the hammerer's timing is BAD. The tax collector's mandate ends in less than a month, and the Count Consort's seemingly unmeetable demand (for 'item in tomb') is causing him to be unhappy and make MORE mandates. Crap. What if he murders someone again?

Anyway... the migrant tally.
-1 hammerer
-1 weaver
-1 armorer
-1 siege engineer
-1 fish dissector
-1 animal dissector (what is the use of this skill anyway?)
-1 trapper
-1 miner (who is to be a pickaxe user in the military)
-2 peasants

=10 total migrants

...wow. 10. Still, it's good to have fresh blood. BLOOD! uh, ahem, don't read too much into that. Anyway, now we can kill off the nobles! Right? Now I just need a reason to keep my conscience clear.

Ooh hey, how about... nobles vs. the titan?!?

Some of the dwarves had wanted to see how well Rick could defend the nobles from a titan. Why don't we just change that to 'how well can Rick clean up a titan after it massacres the nobility?' Except for myself, the philosopher, the dungeon master, and maaaaaaybe the CotG. It would be fun. And profitable, in that there would suddenly be no nobles.

Sure. I'll go with that. I'll station Rick in Monk's tower (the Hatch into Monk's tower is an unbreakable artifact), have the nobles pull some levers to their hearts' content, and then let the titan loose on them... it will be fun.

Still, any requests as to alternate methods of mixing up Rick, the titan, and the nobles in the arena are welcome.

In the meantime, Rick is outside fending off the skamel menace.

Plank of Wood

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: December 04, 2008, 04:36:59 pm »

Build an arena for them out of bars.

Cage match!
The science of burning innocent children could be perfected into clockwork.
They're like little bearded corals.

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: December 04, 2008, 05:08:41 pm »

Build an arena for them out of bars.

Cage match!

NOW THAT'S AN IDEA! Oh, and Monk... you're dream opponent approacheth.

Shoruke's log. 15th of Slate. (mid-spring, year 24)
Well, Rick finished off all but 2 of the loose skamels, then he returned to the fortress to sleep. But now...

Kat Lebesonshen otthat Cim, the legendary hydra, has come! Of course there's no time to view the monster's history; it's coming from the southeast (where Rick just was, and where the two skamels are) and it's coming FAST. The skamels are leaving it alone.

My plan is to just let it come, and get caught in the cage traps. Speaking of which they're coming along pretty well; the glassmakers have two furnaces dedicated to glassmaking, with one making green glass cages and the other making clear glass blocks.

...by GOD that thing has a lot of heads and necks. It's a walking, living, breathing, moving target-rich environment on it's own.

Anyway, about the arena. I feel that, to inspire the necessary atmosphere (of fear) within the arena, it will need to be like a gigantic cage. One of the architects suggested building vertical bars around the arena to achieve this effect. I must say I approve. Now what to make the bars out of?

Why, how about stone? A very dwarven material... perfect for noblecide. But alas, vertical bars must be made out of bars of some kind. Whatever, then we'll simply throw together all the random metals we have.

Shoruke's Log. 16th of Slate. (mid spring)
Well the hydra wandered into the cage traps and now we own it. Maybe we should postpone slaughter of the nobility in favor of megabeast war?

nawww.

But this most recent event has shown me a flaw in my design of The Tower; there is a section of The Green Glass Hallway that has nothing over it, and is thusly 'outside'. Actually, I fear that nothing we do will cause that section to be 'inside' again; for the rest of eternity, it might just be that dwarves who start outside during a siege, will STAY outside (or at least outside of the main part of the fortress for all eternity.

*epiphany*

Wait, we'll just dig a small side-tunnel so that dwarves can bypass the 'outside' bit. Fixed!

Shoruke's Log. 18th of Slate. (mid summer)
The Tax Collector's mandate deadline just passed. The sentence is... Urist the Craftsdwarf, for 24 days in prison.

What the hell? The tax collector RANDOMLY chose THE SAME CRAFTSDWARF AS LAST TIME? ... whatever, at least it's not somebody important or injured... and he's getting a jail sentence, not a beating, so he's going to be okay.

Shoruke's Log. 21st of Slate. (mid spring)
Rick just went out to deal with the new skamels from the north... and he's legendary. But he's not a champion. Upon his return to the fortress (the current wild creature is now just a lone cheetah; cheetahs aren't aggressive so no worries) I questioned him. Apparently he's a legendary shield user, from being gang attacked by skamels so much.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2008, 05:25:09 pm by shoruke »

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: December 05, 2008, 06:16:33 pm »

Shoruke's Log. 13th of Felsite. (late spring, year 24)
Inaluct made his first ever masterwork green glass cage today. Usually when I make orders for cages he's busy making blocks, so that's why he hasn't made a few dozen of them before now.

I'm making a 'training area' for the miners and engravers (which includes myself). We're going to dig out a huge section, smooth it all out and engrave it. Then, in a thousand years when there's no megabeasts and the goblin armies are led by kidnapped dwarves, historian/adventurer type people can explore our fortress and learn our great history. Or who knows, maybe our civilization will last that long. Anyway, it looks like this:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

(It's on a level without aquifer)

Shoruke's Log. 17th of Felsite. (late spring)
One of the furnace operators got a fey mood! He was hauling... I don't know what to I don't know where, but he stopped what he was doing right in the middle of the Grand Staircase and went off to claim a magma forge. I do hope he succeeds in a)making something outrageously valuable, and b) becomes a legendary furnace operator... all this metal takes too long to melt.

Anyway, he collected two iron and one aluminum bar, plus a turtle shell, and now he's standing around in the magma forge drawing pictures of

-bars of metal... quite a few
-a shell
-glass
-square blocks
-stacked leather... quite a few again
-square blocks

Thuellai, who is dilligently working on creating iron bins to hold our crafts in the adjacent magma forge, has told me he's getting slightly creeped out.

Anyway, since Litast (the fey furnace operator) has obtained three metal bars and a shell, I assume once again that he requires that he obtain the materials in order for whatever reason. Which means his next requirement, which we are unable to meet, is raw glass... normally I would supply him with the cheap stuff, but if this is to be a metal widgit (and presumably quite valuable) I'm going to have Inaluct make him some of the good stuff... raw clear glass. I happen to know we have leather in abundance and beyond, and assuming he'll take rock blocks, all of his other requirements seem to be met as far as I can understand.

Shoruke's Log. Supplementary.
Glasswork is not being done right now, because all of the workerdwarves are busy hauling items to bins (except the miners, who are busy carving away the new training area). After some thought, I figured out the cause of the sudden rush of "Hauling Item to bin, sir!". Because I've had the metalsmiths create so many iron bins recently, we find ourselves in a position where dozens upon dozens of items need to be relocated into their appropriate bin.

This fortress seems to be just one labor crisis after another. I dearly hope we can satisfy that furnace operator.

Shoruke's Log. 20th of Felsite.
Inaluct dutifully created the raw clear glass, handed it to me, and asked why the sudden change in production schedule. I answered that the fey furnace operator had drawn glass, and presumably wanted it for an artifact. Inaluct then went to examine his sketch, and proclaimed that it was a sketch of raw GREEN glass, not just any old glass. Fuming ever so slightly, I told him to please make that.

Shoruke's Log. 22nd of Felsite. (late spring)
Some skeletal camels were harassing the craftsdwarves who were going outside the fortress to collect bones. The skamels of course fell prey to the cage traps. Now there are more of them to the south, and I'm sending Rick out to deal with them so they won't interrupt production.

In other news, The Fey Furnace Operator does indeed deem rock blocks to be satisfactory, and he should begin production on his artifact relatively soon.

Shoruke's Log. 26th of Felsite. (late spring)
The hottest part of the year draws closer by the day, but the important thing is that that crazy furnace operator has begun work on his... whatever it is. He's assembled...

-2 iron bars
-1 aluminum bar
-1 turtle shell
-1 piece of raw green glass
-1 bauxite block
-1 gneiss block
-1 each of dog, cat, and cheetah leather

I can understand the metal bars, and I can kinda understand the rock blocks. I've come to terms with the fact that turtle shell seems like a necessary component for almost any artifact. I disagree with his insistence upon having green glass as opposed to clear glass (clear glass is more valuable and shiny). But what the hell kind of sick person would use dog and cat skin as components in production?!? *looks down at my own cow leather shoes* oh... right. All dwarves would. Still, I've heard more horrifying stories; dwarves who took another dwarf to the butcher's shop, slew them where they stood, and fashioned an artifact from their still-bleeding corpse! At least it would be nice and dwarf-sized, if slightly tight... perhaps it's wise to pick a rather fat dwarf for that. (hmm... nobles...?)
« Last Edit: December 18, 2008, 10:05:34 pm by shoruke »
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 28