Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28]

Author Topic: Angcuggan Okbod: The Red Sands of Doom  (Read 27628 times)

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
  • There's a Prinny in Fire Emblem, dood!?
    • View Profile
Re: Angcuggan Okbod: The Red Sands of Doom
« Reply #405 on: April 25, 2009, 11:39:53 pm »

You guys aren't going to believe this, but Angcuggan Okbod yet lives! The First level of the labyrinth still needs flooring but that can wait, the second level is pretty much done, and the third level has its skeleton in place.

At one point there was a siege. We broke it and, THAT VERY SECOND, the dwarven caravan showed up. The first wagon was at The Gate about the same time the last goblin made it off the map (one of the goblin squads got delayed by skamels). So I traded with them, blah blah blah, and then on their way out the Tax Collector mandated that nobody can export idols. So our 'justice' list tripled in size, so there's a bunch of dwarves with broken limbs, one of the leatherworkers was killed on the spot, and several were thrown in jail for a month.

Also, to get rid of all of our various 'prisoners' (goblins, skamels, a skaguar and a hydra) we're going to have an arena match. Goblins vs. skeletons vs. a hydra. The goblin are still armed to the teeth, so my money's on them. But it's still going to be pretty epic. Now if only we could 'Like building to trigger' faster...

Our military is now outfitted with masterwork equipment. So now I can set patrols and stuff up.

In terms of artifacts, we've made a cave spider silk cape and a rope reed bag.
The Unforgotten Beast, Shoruke, has come! A pale-skinned human. It has heterochromatic eyes and moves in an unpredictable manner. Beware its rapier wit!

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: April 26, 2009, 06:27:08 am »

Any news on Maggarg the dwarf?
I haven't read this for a while.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: April 26, 2009, 12:20:35 pm »

Maggarg is currently wearing full ☼Iron Armor☼, carrying a steel battle axe with seven kinds of blood on it, and has a tight patrol around The Tower. All of our legendaries are currently on patrol around The Tower in some way. This basically ensures that I don't have to micromanage our defenses.

Hey wait a sec. Maggarg has a bone gauntlet. *gasp* Guess I'll just switch that around quickly.

Okay. So the elven caravan came around, and on their way in one of the mules got attacked by a skaguar. Flint rescued them before anyone was killed, but the mule got beat up pretty bad... Mangled torso and leg, missing another leg, unconscious from pain. So the elf DRAGS the poor thing into the fortress... where it gets killed by one of the stonefall traps. So the elves took one step inside, decided that this place is too dangerous, and THEN they left. Bastard hippies.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2009, 02:39:35 pm by shoruke »
The Unforgotten Beast, Shoruke, has come! A pale-skinned human. It has heterochromatic eyes and moves in an unpredictable manner. Beware its rapier wit!

Sir_Geo

• Bay Watcher
  • !
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: April 26, 2009, 07:03:58 pm »

Glad to see this is still going on, I haven't been posting but I have been following the story. It's been a great read so far Shoruke.
The logistical problems dealing with a private space colony are at least as bad as dealing with the zombies.

http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-5403-fortressdipped
Fortressdipped, my ice castle.

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: April 26, 2009, 10:21:01 pm »

Shoruke's Log. 20th of Hematite. (early summer, year 30) (yes, it's been two years)
Gosh but it's been a while since I've posted in this journal. Okay, what all has happened...

-We've made three artifacts. One is a giant cave spider silk cape worth 109,800☼. It's our most valuable artifact by about 5,000☼. The second artifact is a rope reed bag, which would be useful if we didn't already have 500 bags and not enough stuff to put in them. The third is a war hammer made of goblin bones, with a pictures of: a goblin killing a mule, our queen, and one of our artifact cups. I gave the artifact warhammer to Atir the legendary hammerdwarf. IT'S AWESOME.

-The labyrinth. It's been the fortress' biggest focus for the last two years. We've emptied and refilled the magma farm about half a dozen times, and we've mined out the obsidian from around the volcano on four different levels. And we're still not done... but we're getting close. The first level needs flooring (because obsidian is just that much creepier than sand, even if the sand is red), and the top level needs a bunch of walls, and we need to put extra flooring on the third level to cover up the pathways in the second level, and once the walls are done on the third level we still need to cover those pathways up... but yeah it's going pretty good. Merchant wagons can use it, at any rate.

-I haven't even really started on DoomFlippySpikesThing. But it shouldn't be that hard to make.

-The arena. OH GODS THE ARENA. There's so many cages, we simply don't have a unit of time big enough to measure how long it's going to take to link all those cages up to one lever. It's going to be, like, 15 octillion years. Give or take.

-Once Dracnor finished making enough masterwork armor, I assigned the legendary militants to do some patrols outside. Apparently any one of our legendary dwarves is worth at least two squads of goblins.

Kill counts:
Rick: 1092
Monk: 59 (mostly he just watches the younger marksdwarves shoot and gives em tips)
Unas: 3 (mostly just spams the shooting range)
Void: 12
Flint: 256
Sir Geo: 319
Lilika: 9 (she's been injured a few times)
Elf Driller: 29

-The spears and levers I set up in the nobles' hallway turned out to be quite deadly. One day, the most recent Duke just went off to go pull the useless lever at the end of the hallway, and the philosopher was pulling the lever attached to the spears. Apparently that makes the spears ever so slightly dangerous, and the spears shot out of the floor and hit the Duke.

In the face.

Without hurting any other part of him.

He's missing an eye and feeling very sorry for himself right now.

So anyway, his wife the duchess consort went to take over the lever pulling. The spears got her too, right in the leg, and knocked her unconscious. Then the spears got her again in the arm. And then the leg. And then the other arm. Then she bled out. The gore was just incredible. I didn't know one dead and one injured dwarf could bleed that much.

-The Tower hasn't seen much growth lately, since we've been saving up logs and using iron to re-outfit the military. But we've recently turned most of the logs into clear glass blocks, so we'll probably get another level (or at least most of it) of The Tower up soonish.

-One of my kids finally reached adulthood. On his twelfth birthday, we gave him iron armor and a mace, and he headed out into the desert to fight off the skeletal menace with the military.

And he came back with a mangled arm and only one leg. So if he ever makes it out of bed, he's going to be a mechanic like his parents. Hopefully he can still function in fortress life with only one leg.

-The dwarven caravan is here. There was a siege recently, but we can't get any of the goblins' stuff into the fortress until we get all the trade goods into the depot.

Shoruke's Log. 26th of Hematite. (early summer)
Okay, so. Recent Siege. Traders are here. Lots of stuff needs to be taken to the depot, none of the goblin's stuff has been marked to be brought in. So what do the dwarves do? Rush through the labyrinth, slowing the traders down, and bring all the goblins' corpses to dispose of them. By leaving them in the refuse stockpile to rot. Makes... perfect... sense... okay I can't keep that lie up. Dear god, you idiot haulers, get your priorities straight. The goblin corpses are going to rot outside, it doesn't matter if they rot in the stockpile or out in the desert. Argh.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2009, 10:38:38 pm by shoruke »

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: April 27, 2009, 11:08:00 pm »

Shoruke's Log. 13th of Limestone.
Construction of The Labyrinth continues. But hell with that for a moment.

Another skeletal dragon came! Thankfully, it can't fly, but still. It should probably be badasseder than a dwarf. So I set it up so that most of the legendaries would engage it at the same time, or close to it. The dragon seemed to be heading for the volcano (why do the skeletal dragons think they'd survive swimming through magma?), so I put the legendaries in a squad, assigned them there, and de-assigned them so that they'd all be the 'leader' of their own squad, and head straight there. For whatever reason, only the leader of any given squad takes their station seriously.

ANYWAY! Flint got there first, and Maggarg was just a bit behind him, and then Flint saw the dragon and charged. I figured he was toast. The dragon blew dragonfire at him, but either Flint is tough enough to have just ignored it, or the flames dissipated just before they hit Flint; I couldn't really tell. But Flint ran up to the dragon, swung at it once, and that was that. The skull went flying higher than the top of The Tower.

Thuellai will be pleased.
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28]