Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28

Author Topic: Angcuggan Okbod: The Red Sands of Doom  (Read 27629 times)

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
  • There's a Prinny in Fire Emblem, dood!?
    • View Profile
Re: Angcuggan Okbod: The Red Sands of Doom
« Reply #375 on: February 12, 2009, 06:33:22 pm »

Shoruke's Log. 21st of Hematite. (early summer, year 27)
I have been re-elected recently. I am ecstatic, because being re-elected never gets old.

The humans are here, and have been here for a while now. We've been hauling stuff to the depot ever since we saw them on the horizon, and pretty soon we get all their stuff and they get all the goblins' stuff. It works out nicely for us.

I had Lambskin remove one of the axles that we're going to use to transfer power underground (apparently we're going to need at least two more windmills to generate enough power), and we turned it into ash, and then potash, and then pearlash, and then raw clear glass. Now the fey engraver has everything he needs, and is working furiously on some mysterious construction. It involves two kaolinite rocks, an iron bar, cow leather, a goblin bone, raw clear glass, a rough black zircon, a bolt of giant cave spider silk, and some pig tail cloth. It should be... interesting. It will probably menace with spikes, just like all our other artifacts do. And the spikes will be clear glass.

The best thing about trading is that we get logs from the caravans. This time the logs will be used by the mechanics, though, not the carpenters or wood burners.

Shoruke's Log. 22nd of Hematite. (early summer)
Man. Trading is so mentally strenuous. I had to count to over 100,000 in my head today, to keep track of how much worth we had just offered to the humans.

But they gave us lots of wood logs. Lots and lots and lots. Something like 80 logs. That's way more than enough to finish off our power system, so we're going to put the rest of it towards clear glass and keep building The Tower up. Someday, I want to have that tower reach as high as dwarven architecture can make it go, and throw people I don't like off the top of it. Then they can fall to their explosive, gory death.

Shoruke's Log. 25th of Hematite. (early summer)
The engraver made a kaolinite idol. It's not the most imaginative idea in and of itself. But it doesn't menace with spikes of anything, it has a picture of the queen herself on it, it's worth 75,600☼, and it made the engraver legendary (which is going to save a LOT of time on The Archives).

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The Queen took a peek at it, and seemed impressed. She's used to the mountainhomes where there's lots of variety (such as maggot milk and cheese, things like that which we can't make here), but nothing is as professional as it is here. Everything is mass-produced at the old mountainhome, so that there is enough to send to the various outposts. Here, on the other hand, we suffer from a lack of resources (besides rock and, recently, metal), so we have to make the best out of what we have. Hence the military's equipment upgrade project.

Speaking of which, Dracnor's armorsmithing skills are coming along nicely. He's now a professional armorsmith, and he's made us something like half a dozen masterwork helmets.

On the topic of the queen, she's been wandering around, familiarizing herself with the Red Sands of Doom. Except for the fact that she's gone a few months without her own dining room (the poor baby), she's quite happy with our place. We're currently working on her platinum furniture. Her husband is going to have to put up with less extravagant furnishings, however. Or at least, non-platinum furnishings.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2009, 11:03:46 pm by shoruke »
The Unforgotten Beast, Shoruke, has come! A pale-skinned human. It has heterochromatic eyes and moves in an unpredictable manner. Beware its rapier wit!

R1ck

• Bay Watcher
  • Uninvited Guest
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: February 13, 2009, 03:58:20 pm »

Uh, that spoiler picture is broken. Anyways, it's excellent that the queen has come, hopefully she will actually be able to help the fort out in some way. Also, you should kill the annoying nobles by throwing them off the tower somehow.
BTEAMHOB-Year 10 - It's POI'd to the extreme

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: February 13, 2009, 11:06:15 pm »

Yeahhh I suppose it always helps to actually, you know, put the picture into the spoiler tag...

Hmm... throwing the nobles off The Tower... the top level doesn't have walls all the way around it yet, so it could be done... Yesss... good idea Rick.
The Unforgotten Beast, Shoruke, has come! A pale-skinned human. It has heterochromatic eyes and moves in an unpredictable manner. Beware its rapier wit!

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: February 14, 2009, 12:18:29 am »

You could have a set of platinum bars on the top of the tower as a sort of jail cell without a ceiling. You could just lock nobles in there and let them bake in the scorching, hateful sun while on a thick metal floor surrounded by precious metal bars.

On the other hand, this might happen:
« Last Edit: February 14, 2009, 12:46:56 am by inaluct »

TheMirth

• Bay Watcher
  • Titan cancels smash, interrupted by baby
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: February 14, 2009, 01:04:07 am »

I notice the noble didn't swear off on the random hammering punishments just the mandating bits.

Good luck with your platinum decorations shoruke. Keep that warrior queen happy.

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: February 14, 2009, 04:24:22 pm »

Inaluct that was AWESOME... do more!

Shoruke's Log. 9th of Malachite. (mid summer, year 27)
I built a couple platinum sarcophagi, and put them in the Queen and King's room. They aren't fancy (I'm not the best at metalworking yet), but at least their rooms are quite good. Unfortunately, both of them demand that they have lots and lots and LOTS of furniture (chests, weapon racks etc) in their rooms, and their rooms of course still aren't fancy enough.

So, I guess I'm going to have to go through my stockpile records, see what kind of random precious metals we have, and make them some more furniture. Or maybe I should have one of the more experienced metalsmiths do it... whatever, I'll just put the jobs in the job list, and whoever gets around to them first will get them done.

The Duke and Duchess, however, are much more...vocal with their demands for furniture. They stand around in their rooms, screaming themselves hoarse. It's really annoying, especially since my room is right next to theirs.

Shoruke's Log. Supplementary.
Actually, it SEEMS that the Duke and Duchess have LOCKED THEMSELVES in their own room FROM THE INSIDE, and AREN'T LETTING ANYONE IN unless they have FURNITURE. (for those with no sense of sarcasm, words in caps are lies)

And Dracnor just seems to keep improving with his armoring. I should have had him do this YEARS ago (except that we didn't have much iron back then, but whatever). He's reached the status of "great armorsmith", and churns out helmets faster than the haulers can carry them away. Some of the helmets he makes are masterwork. Once he starts making masterwork helmets more frequently, I'm going to have all the other helmets in the fortress melted down, and the military will not wear any helmet short of masterwork quality. Then we'll have less nervous injuries.

I suppose we're going to need some better quality plate mail at some point, too. But since that takes three times as much iron to make, we're going to wait until Dracnor's armorsmithing is fully advanced.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2009, 04:43:01 pm by shoruke »

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: February 16, 2009, 03:51:41 pm »

Shoruke's Log. 21st of Malachite. (mid summer, year 27)
The Duchess died a few days ago. Distraught, the Duke's screaming for FURNITURE has increased in intensity. He's also begun trying to hunt down any vermin in his room TO CLEAN THE PLACE UP.

Also, it has come to my attention that we will require at least three more windmills to power our system. So I'm going to deliberately overkill it and build an extra six. Then we'll have spare power. Maybe we could get rid of the aquifer somehow, or at least MOSTLY get rid of it.

Shoruke's Log. 20th of Galena. (late summer)
The Duke seems to have shouted himself hoarse, and dehydrated himself to death. We forced the door open to retrieve his corpse.

And we now have 9 windmills powering our systems. Milling plants can now be done underground, in a small alcove right next to the kitchens. I am considering making a HUGE power farm using windmills, and using it to power some water pumps. Then we could cover the volcano for cheap (by dumping water on it and having it solidify, as opposed to spending a couple hundred iron blocks on it). Or we could create a huge aboveground water reservoir (using The Tower, naturally), and then use it to... I don't know, water the desert flowers or cacti or something. Or wash away sieging goblins. But it would be cool to have. Or we could make a flood-the-world apparatus, and flood the world at our leisure. Or we could just completely remove the aquifer.

Or we could use the power to pump magma, and make a melt-the-world lever (just like that one story I heard before I came here, about some fortress called BoatMurdered. Only hopefully our system won't be wrecked by a bug's corpse). It might be fun.

Anyway, if I was to fill up the first level of The Tower with windmills, and generate LOTS AND LOTS of power, what would the other dwarves want to do with it? I think I will ASK THE DWARVES for suggestions.

[/log] So yeah, if anyone has any megaproject-esque ideas, run them by me and I'll see what I can do.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2009, 04:36:03 pm by shoruke »

Banzayatc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: February 16, 2009, 04:56:38 pm »

I think we should build a labyrinth around the tower, to make defending against elven invaders easier.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: February 16, 2009, 05:57:55 pm »

Make the entrance to the tower a huge, closed in field. And then put into flippers and spikes. 2x1 bridges that raise in random directions and randomly scattered green glass spikes. Hook it all up to one lever and see what one pull is able to do to a siege.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: February 16, 2009, 08:35:37 pm »

Holy crap you guys. Those are some pretty awesome suggestions. I'm gonna give everyone a couple days to make their requests, I want more stuff like this.

Axe27

• Bay Watcher
  • Put down the crossbow
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: February 16, 2009, 11:02:59 pm »

Holy shit, this is still going. Can you post a map?
And thus did the dream of dwarven antigravity fade away, not with a massive explosion or a flood of magma, but with a whimper.

I'm going to be depressed all day now.

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: February 17, 2009, 11:10:21 am »

Map? Sure why not... I suppose it's been a while since I uploaded one anyway.

http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-4690-angcugganokbodtheredsandsofdoom

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: February 20, 2009, 01:12:41 pm »

Alrighty then... Labyrinth and DoomFlippySpikes thing, I can do that. It seems kind of cheap to make it out of common stone, though... Maybe I should make a practice room for making obsidian blocks... Gah, I can't decide. What should I make it out of? Green glass is one option, rocks are ALWAYS an option (but really cheap)... If only walls could be constructed from corpses, we have lots of those.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: February 20, 2009, 04:36:06 pm »

Make the walls out of stone blocks, a mandatory three stories high, and have statues lining the walls?
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

R1ck

• Bay Watcher
  • Uninvited Guest
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: February 20, 2009, 07:57:32 pm »

You could also try creating a automatic garbage disposal system with all that water. The water pushes whatever garbage you don't want underneath a bridge, and then crushes it. There's a video of such a thing somewhere...
BTEAMHOB-Year 10 - It's POI'd to the extreme
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28