Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 28

Author Topic: Angcuggan Okbod: The Red Sands of Doom  (Read 27636 times)

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
  • There's a Prinny in Fire Emblem, dood!?
    • View Profile
Re: Angcuggan Okbod: The Red Sands of Doom
« Reply #330 on: January 06, 2009, 11:01:57 pm »

Shoruke's Log. End of The Third Try.
So help me, I'm gonna get this.

We won again, but Lilika died, Sir Geo's baby died, and I forgot to tell Monk's squad to actually go fight. Oops. To add insult to injury, Rick, Sir Geo, and Maggarg all got pushed into the channel around the fortress at some point or other. Maggarg spent the rest of the skirmish running around, avoiding enemies, trying to recover his bruised hand (you big baby), Sir Geo didn't seem to be able to maze her way out of the channel WHICH IS A STRAIGHT LINE (then again her kid had just died, she was probably stressed), and Rick spent the rest of the skirmish killing goblins while under a veritable HAILSTORM of iron arrows. I liked the part where he hit one of the bowmen, and the bowman went flying but it's bow stayed in the same place. It was comical.

Oh yes! And Banzay Elf Driller got knocked out on one of the cage traps, and then bled to death as a captive of his own fortress. Yeesh.

Shoruke's Log. End of the Fourth Try. Yeesh.
This time was much better. I gave each of the marksdwarves their own squad, and their own station on the first airborne level of The Tower. It worked quite well; the marksdwarves pretty much took out the entire marksgoblin squad on their own. In fact, the only thing that went wrong this time was that Lilika ran out on her own, got shot, and died. Silly Lilika. (say THAT five times fast!)

Shoruke's Log. End of The Fifth Try.
This is getting annoying.

Sir Geo's baby died again. Other than that, the only one to die was Monk; Monk went to the wrong corner of The Tower, and somehow the elite goblin marksman shot him THROUGH THE FORTIFICATIONS and killed him. I am, quite frankly, astounded and impressed at this goblins' raw shooting ability. I would try to recruit him if not for the fact that he's killing my dwarves and we're trying to kill him back.

Shoruke's Log. End of The Sixth Try.
Well, we finally got a win without any important dwarves dying. One thing though... Rick got his left eye torn out. With his reduced depth perception, he couldn't defend himself as well (I guess) and his arm got mangled, but that will heal in time. And so, I ask the dwarves:

Should I try again, or should we have Rick spend the rest of his life as Rick 'One-Eye' RFB?
« Last Edit: January 06, 2009, 11:31:27 pm by shoruke »
The Unforgotten Beast, Shoruke, has come! A pale-skinned human. It has heterochromatic eyes and moves in an unpredictable manner. Beware its rapier wit!

Banzayatc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: January 07, 2009, 05:17:31 am »

Rick 'One-Eye' RFB is much cooler than save-scumming, so I think you shouldn't reload.

GoldPanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: January 08, 2009, 10:52:32 pm »

Elfbane's Journal:

Haha, remember the time Rick's dog pushed that lion into the volcano? Hilarious! I believe I will go look at that engraving again...

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: January 09, 2009, 02:06:23 pm »

maggarg's journal
My poor hand! I am in such terrible anguish over this little blotch!
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: January 09, 2009, 03:26:23 pm »

Inaluct's Journal

Entry One

I have a journal now. I'll write some stuff in it eventually. I'll get around to doing it.

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: January 09, 2009, 04:48:17 pm »

Shoruke's Log. Should be late in the month of Moonstone, I think.
I have asked the dwarves whether or not they think I should use my time-bending powers and attempt to ward off the goblins without Rick losing his eye, or if we should let bygones be bygones and allow our greatest champion go through the rest of his life as 'Rick "One-Eye" RFB'.

I personally think that Rick, being our most renowned camel-disperser, should keep his eye; He's too sick to come vote right now, so I'll go talk to him later. Elf Driller seems to think that Rick being one-eyed is 'cool' somehow, and that we should leave him as he is just for the sake of fame.

Several other dwarves have started a journal and not written anything in them, which is an odd response indeed.

Well, tomorrow is the deciding day of the vote for Rick's eye (and his arm's health). I hope more votes come in, because so far we've only got mine and Elf Driller's.
The Unforgotten Beast, Shoruke, has come! A pale-skinned human. It has heterochromatic eyes and moves in an unpredictable manner. Beware its rapier wit!

R1ck

• Bay Watcher
  • Uninvited Guest
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: January 09, 2009, 06:19:53 pm »

Aagh! My eye, my beautiful eye! I don't want to be some sort of tiny cyclops here. I demand that the deus ex machina machine be employed.

"R1ck RFB, Champion, has made a demand"
BTEAMHOB-Year 10 - It's POI'd to the extreme

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: January 11, 2009, 01:40:42 pm »

Well, I guess Rick's keeping his eye. What's with the journals everybody? It's cool that you're doing them, but the timing is a little random.

Shoruke's Log. End of The Seventh Try.
I noticed that one of the goblin leaders had an arrow stuck in his left hand. I wonder what the story behind that is.

And Monk was, once again, shot to death through fortifications. Gah. There must be some way to get him to go to his spot the short way, instead of going up the wrong staircase and walking around.

Shoruke's Log. End of The Eighth Try.
This whole 'sieging' business is just a mess. We won the fight, with no casualties on our side, and no notable injuries (there were two bruises), and the goblins left. I sent Maggarg, and the other legendaries, out to kill off the goblin stragglers. He got there first, because the military dwarves have this thing about going to their destination, even if it changes. They must reach every destination they are given. It's stupid.
Anyway, Maggarg killed off a bunch of the stragglers, Elf Driller got to kill off two camels (living ones, he wasn't in any danger), and then I stationed the army just inside The Gate just in case this whole siege was just a cover-up for some goblin thieves or something. Anyway, Maggarg, Flint, and Sir Geo were all waiting around inside The Gate, when Lilika finally got the the old destination (the place where I had sent Maggarg to kill off the stragglers), and got ambushed by skeletal camels. She hurt two of them pretty bad, but she got killed before backup could arrive.

DAMN

Shoruke's Log. End of The Ninth Try.
The siege was going even better than usual. Maggarg, Monk, Flint, and Sir Geo got into position in record time. Lilika, Banzay, Void, Unas, and a couple of the other marksdwarves were close behind them. Monk was holding off the northern squads all on his own, and Rick and the other legendary fighters all rushed out of the gates just as the goblins got there, so we took some prisoners in cage traps and killed a bunch of other goblins. Then Rick got a teensy-weensy bruise on the foot, which I guess screwed up his concentration, and then he got shot in the face by the elite bowgoblin, and his throat and eyes were torn out. Then he got shot again and died. Dammit.

Shoruke's Log. End of the Tenth. Fricking. Try. Dammit.
Everyone was later than usual getting to the surface. Maggarg got shot in the face, and then in the arm, and then in the other arm, while getting pummeled... by the time he died, he was missing both his eyes, his throat, and every part of every limb except for his left upper leg. Then Lilika got shot, once, and got swarmed, and died. Then Elf Driller got shot three times, lost both of his eyes, and died.

That elite goblin marksman is really getting on my nerves. I've got to figure out a way to deal with others like him, but first I've got to deal with him.

Oh, and apparently Bosa, the leader of the goblin civilization, is a demon who founded the city of CurseChances, with the help of The Vice of Axes, in... well, the beginning of time. Year 1. I read it on the boot of the goblin swordmaster. From across the desert, through the heatwaves from the volcano. My eyesight is perfect, dontchaknow.

End of the Eleventh Try. 20th of Moonstone. (early winter, year 25)
Oh dear god. We finally won. Lilika got beat up pretty bad by the skamels that showed up after, though. One of the cooks is on his way out now to pick her up.

Well, we got a good haul of loot, so I guess we're well-supplied for when the caravans come. The human caravan, though; the elves don't get any of our loot. I'm wondering if I should stop melting down goblin equipment, though, because after hitting the iron-rich ore veins, we've got LOTS of iron. Lots and lots and lots of it.

In non-siege-related news, we've hit some setbacks in terms of the noble-cide rooms. The long-story-short of it is that we need to set all the floodgates up again. The good news is that we'll be able to dig through the last bit of rock, and into the volcano, from above, so the miners won't be in danger of getting fried.

Shoruke's Log. 21st of Moonstone. (early winter)
Sir Geo just had another baby. It's her seventh one. It likes crystal glass, silver, and bins.

HAY W8AMINIT she went through that entire conflict... pregnant?!? Holy Schist, she's tough. Speaking of Sir Geo in combat, at one point in the fight she hit a goblin so hard, it flew from The Tower to the edge of the fortress' boundaries. The goblin left its right arm and its left leg behind.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2009, 02:58:05 pm by shoruke »

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: January 11, 2009, 03:32:47 pm »

Shoruke's Log. 2nd of Opal. (mid winter, year 25)
So, I have a plan. I like to think that it's a smart plan. My plan is to completely fill in the third floor of The Tower, and put beds, an ammo stockpile, some food and booze, and maybe even some archery targets, and then the marksdwarves can live aboveground. This would give us a major timing advantage when we come under siege, because the marksdwarves will already be in position to defend themselves.

The problems I can foresee with this project, are that it will take LOTS AND LOTS of materials to build, and that the marksdwarves will no doubt need to go underground to eat, drink, or hang out.

So, I'm going to ask the dwarves, what they think we should do to solve these problems. I am also open to suggestions.

So, to solve the materials problem, the solution is obviously to use something else. Or we could just try to fill in an entire level with clear glass blocks, but it would take over 1,300 blocks (we have 60 in stock right now, just to illustrate what level Clear Glass Block production is at). So, the options are...

-use iron bars
-make iron bars into iron blocks, and use them (so that we can store the blocks in bins)
-keep going with the clear glass blocks, despite that it will completely halt production on the rest of The Tower for... well, for a long time. Possibly years.
-We could use rocks, or rock blocks. We might even use colourful ones, we have lots of colourful rocks.
-{suggest something}

To solve the problem of the marksdwarves leaving, we could...
-Seal them in. Place some hatch covers, and lock the marksdwarves in place when a conflict occurs.
-Seal them in permanently, only opening the hatch covers to resupply the marksdwarves with food, booze, and ammunition.
-Seal them in, in such a way that the dwarves are able to dump supplies for them at any time, but so that the marksdwarves are able to reach the sides of their level (to shoot out) at any time.
-Not seal them in at all, and just hope for the best.
-{your suggestion here}

Snuffs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: January 12, 2009, 07:22:20 pm »

Uh, iron bars can be put into bins just the same as iron blocks.

If you really need 1,300 pieces of material, rock may be the only option.  I do like the idea of iron crossbracing, though (it's a pity you didn't construct the tower with iron pylons from the start).  If you restricted yourself to using iron blocks, then you could probably train a bunch of blacksmiths really fast.  I'm not sure, though, iron blocks may use three bars each, which could be a bad idea.  How many iron bars do you have right now?

As for keeping marksdwarves ready, my first instinct is to place food and booze stockpiles in the tower.  I'm not sure if this works, but you could assign a dining room to each soldier, and they should opt to eat there whenever necessary.  If you moved the barracks and archery targets up there, too, then theoretically your dwarves should never have any reason to leave the tower.

R1ck

• Bay Watcher
  • Uninvited Guest
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: January 12, 2009, 09:21:15 pm »

I believe metal blocks do only take 1 iron bar to make, and since we have magma, you could easily train up dwarves that could make awesome masterwork statues by making a ton of iron blocks. But I don't think metal blocks are worth more than metal bars so...

Also, as to the marksdwarves, I also support building stuff to keep them up there forever such as personal dining rooms, bedrooms, food and drink stockpiles, and personal statue gardens. Also, apparently multiple layers of fortifications offer much greater levels of protection from elite goblin shooting.
BTEAMHOB-Year 10 - It's POI'd to the extreme

theevilmonk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: January 13, 2009, 12:08:20 am »

Im fine with living in the tower, as long as i get my own personal statue garden ^^

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: January 13, 2009, 12:14:42 am »

Inaluct's Journal

Shoruke has stated his intention to convert The Tower of Pain into a marksdwarf apartment building. I fully support this, because it will result in more shooting at things. Shooting at things is good because it means more sand for the fortress.

We need that sand.

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: January 13, 2009, 08:55:46 pm »

It sounds like we're going with iron blocks, then. If nothing else, it'll get our metalworkers more blacksmithing experience so they can get stuff done faster.

Shoruke's Log. 15th of Opal. (mid winter, year 25)
So, after setting the noblecide rooms up with floodgates a second time, I once again remembered that bauxite mechanisms are absolutely required. So we removed those again, and the miners finally got around to digging out the bauxite room. So we set up a mechanics shop and a masonry shop, and after my nap, I'm going to make us some bauxite noble-cide furniture. I find it interesting to note that bauxite, magma, and the blood of the nobility are all red (well some of the nobility anyway).

Also, the dwarves seem to agree that we should use iron, sculpted into blocks (to train the blacksmiths), to fill in the marksdwarves' level of The Tower. They are also unanimous in saying that the marksdwarves should take up permanent residence aboveground, while also making it clear that their living conditions need to be above average to offset their separation from the earth. I think that, by the time the blacksmiths have made enough iron blocks, they'll be good enough blacksmiths to construct some seriously awesome statues.

Anyway, I placed an order for the few glass blocks I had already placed up there, to be removed. And up went the children (everyone between 1 and 12 years old) to remove them. I guess having children around is good for something; they help harvest the plants and remove the constructions. But one of the tiles was not removed properly and caused a mini-cave in; and my youngest son was hurt! He has a broken arm and leg, and his eyesight will never fully recover, but he'll still be able to grow up and live a good life.

Hmm? Waaaaaaait.... *checks* oh dear. It seems I've never put in my journal that I married Lambskin in the fortress' first year, before we even had chairs in the dining room. We didn't throw much of a public party, but we have five kids... the youngest one is the only girl. I seriously never wrote any of that in my journal? *checks again* Dearie me.

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: January 13, 2009, 10:42:38 pm »

Shoruke's Log. 22nd of Obsidian. (late winter, year 25)
Well, this year is coming to an end. Year 26 is just around the proverbial bend. Which means, of course, that it's going to be getting hotter around here and The Tower is going to pull a magnifying-glass effect on us. Bleh.

My son is fine... he crawled his way to the barracks and he's resting. His eyes healed, too, which is miraculous. He must have inherited my buffness. Organizing stockpile records is a great way to build strength, don'tyaknow.

I have personally constructed some bauxite floodgates and lots of bauxite mechanisms, so now we can actually do the noble-cide rooms. Those rooms are going to be pretty damned red: bauxite red, magma red, and blood red, all at once. It's going to be a work of art. I'll be sure to get a good vantage point.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 28