Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 28

Author Topic: Angcuggan Okbod: The Red Sands of Doom  (Read 27639 times)

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
  • There's a Prinny in Fire Emblem, dood!?
    • View Profile
Re: Angcuggan Okbod: The Red Sands of Doom
« Reply #315 on: December 22, 2008, 10:59:52 pm »

Shoruke's Log. 10th of Hematite. (early summer, year 25)
One of the clothiers got a fey mood today. I think it's going to be pretty fricking sweet to have legendary clothes to wear. I wonder if they're more resistant to wear and tear?

And the human diplomat arrived today. Luckily, there's living camels as our current wild creature, so we don't need to worry about his safety.

Shoruke's Log. 11th of Hematite. (early summer)
The human caravan has arrived. I guess I need to get the haulers to move a bunch of stuff to the depot again... but we aren't done dumping the useless equipment yet! I suppose that we'll have enough time to finish dumping the useless equipment and then haul stuff to the depot, so we'll just do that.

Shoruke's Log. 16th of Hematite. (early summer)
We got the 'useless stuff dumping' done, and now we're onto hauling everything to the depot... it's going to take a while though. There's a LOT of hauling jobs. Thankfully, nothing needs to be carried more than 10 steps to get it into the depot. We can get it done in time, just like we always do.

And that clothier seems to be stuck with his fey mood. I think he needs wood logs, but it's a little hard to tell since he's just muttering. I guess he'll have to wait until we get the trading done.

Shoruke's Log. 17th of Hematite. (early summer)
I just got re-elected. I don't think there's anybody else in the fortress who's even illegible to be mayor.

The craftsdwarf has begun his mysterious construction (I had Glack go cut a tree down for him), and it's got GCS silk, 2 rock blocks, 2 gems, 2 iron bars, and a palm log. I figure it's going to be pretty valuable since the base material is Giant Cave Spider silk.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2008, 11:31:32 pm by shoruke »
The Unforgotten Beast, Shoruke, has come! A pale-skinned human. It has heterochromatic eyes and moves in an unpredictable manner. Beware its rapier wit!

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: December 22, 2008, 11:48:02 pm »

Shoruke's Log. 23rd of Hematite. (early summer, year 25)
The crafter made a Giant Cave Spider Silk... braie? Is that the singular form? I've never even seen clothing like that. It's dwarf sized, but... it's DEFINITELY not dwarf shaped. Can dwarves even wear this? Ah well, who cares. It's worth 98,200☼.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

He didn't gain any legendary skills, though. I'm a little disappointed. But I do find it amazing how he managed to manufacture silk into spikes. And I'm also proud that he made an artifact with some HISTORY on it. But still, he's not legendary. Lame.

And slowly but surely, the 'bring item to depot'-ing is getting done. Well, I say slowly, but it's actually going quite fast; it's just that there's SO MUCH of it to get done.

Shoruke's Log. 27th of Hematite. (early summer)
The merchants haven't announced their imminent departure yet, and we're done hauling the stuff to the depot. So I guess I need to-

Hey cool, booze. Drinkey-drinkey time.

Shoruke's Log. 3rd of Malachite. (mid summer)
Well, we bought everything the humans brought to sell us. Everything. (thankfully they didn't bring any clothing; just metal armor) So the furnace operators (and the glassmakers, because of wood) are going to be busy for a while. Well, actually, the furnace operators have been continuously busy for months now, since we hit that magnetite vein.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2008, 12:22:31 am by shoruke »
The Unforgotten Beast, Shoruke, has come! A pale-skinned human. It has heterochromatic eyes and moves in an unpredictable manner. Beware its rapier wit!

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: December 23, 2008, 01:39:55 am »

I do believe braies are a type of boxers. Might be for ladies though, not sure.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Glacies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: December 23, 2008, 10:09:40 am »

Yup. Drawstring knickers. Oh boy.

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: December 23, 2008, 12:33:31 pm »

Oh brother, a mixture of panties and boxers? Only a fey dwarf could think that one up.

Shoruke's Log. 12th of Malachite. (mid summer, year 25)
I asked Urist the craftsdwarf (the one that made braies) what the hell it was that she had made. She responded that it was like boxers, but for women. I guess I'll just have to accept that answer, although I think Urist has gone quite mad. It's entirely possible; continuous skamel assaults, blistering heat, and having to put up with the elves that don't seem to get the hint that we hate them.

And we struck bituminous coal. Whoopdy-friggin doo. Nothing like increased coal production when your forges are powered by FRICKING MAGMA. I don't think I'm even going to have it refined for about a year, because really, we do not need exhaust fumes in here. It would make people choke, and even worse, it would increase the temperature another few degrees. Bleh.

And we received a message today.

"Cursed Death-Trap." I find that funny. After all, those nobles came. And they're FINE. They're just not scheduled to live very long.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2008, 02:51:10 pm by shoruke »

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: December 24, 2008, 03:00:01 pm »

Merry Christmas Eve everyone! I won't be online tomorrow, so Merry Christmas/happy holidays too.

Shoruke's Log. 15th of Malachite. (mid summer, year 25)
The area of The Archives that we've recently begun digging out is proving to be rich in gems and minerals. We haven't dug out even an appreciable fraction of it, and we've struck:

-Fire agate
-Yellow jasper
-Plume agate
-Limonite

...'Cause obviously we need more iron-rich ores. We only have 300 iron bars (precisely 300) and several dozen magnetite rocks. Not to mention that we haven't finished digging out the magnetite.

...We need flux. How the hell do we find flux in a desert? The caravans don't seem to be able to sell us chalk, either... I should make a list of all flux stones and see if we can ask the dwarven merchants to bring them next year.

Shoruke's Log. 18th of Malachite. (mid summer, year 25)
One of the engravers apparently knows how that skeletal dragon died. I had my suspicions.

Shoruke's Log. 16th of Galena. (late summer, year 25)
The summer and it's heat are almost FINALLY gone... actually, it started raining recently, which is a pleasant surprise.

It's been really quiet around here recently. There were normal camels outside for a while, which we left alone. We've been working tirelessly on mining out the new section of The Archives, and the engravers have finished doing their thing in the new magma pits... all that's left is to dig away the last foot of rock and unleash the magma. I'm not going to designate it for mining until We aren't mining anything else, though, because I want to know when it happens.

The metalworkers finished melting down all the useless weapons. I'm thinking that I'll have them make a bunch of armor soon, and we'll melt any and all sub-par armor, too. Anyway, they're now focusing on smelting the limonite and magnetite ores.

I made a minor mistake recently, though. I told the masons to make a part of The Tower out of green glass blocks instead of clear glass ones. The funny thing is, when I designated that section to be removed, the only people that showed up to do the work were some children, the Count and his wife, and one farmer. Odd.

Shoruke's Log. 20th of Galena. (late summer)
A cat died of old age today. It was hunting vermin in the food stockpile, with all its usual vigor, and then it just keeled over and didn't move. Poor cat.

Shoruke's Log. 12th of Limonite. (early autumn)
The new part of The Archives is nearly all dug out. Then we can fill up the new magma pits... and then dig out more of The Archives. Sounds exciting.

A couple kobold thieves tried to break into the fortress. They were both caught by one of the (legendary) craftsdwarves, who was on his way to collect some bones to decorate stuff with. He sprang into action, breaking one kobold in several parts of its body, and the other kobold came down with a severe case of 'death by Rick'.

The nobles are getting really fricking annoying. They keep making mandates for items made of stuff like nickel silver, bismuth bronze, stuff like that. At least they made one easy mandate... not to export crystal glass. Nobody has seen a rock crystal since we got here, how precisely would we make crystal glass? And really, would we want to export it? I actually preferred the old nobles.

[/log] So! I'm going to Edmonton, and I'm not going to be able to post again until Sunday (that's 4.5 days from now). Everyone feel free to say how you think the nobles should die... bearing in mind that we have goblins (some wrestlers, axemen, bowmen, and thieves; we also have a goblin spearmaster and a goblin axe lord), skamels (54 of them), and a hydra, and that I'm decent with traps and the like.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2008, 04:52:57 pm by shoruke »

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: December 25, 2008, 03:53:23 am »

Seeing the fat little nobles getting eaten would be nice.
As for the hammerer, let's see if he can hammer molten rocks.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Snuffs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: December 25, 2008, 12:34:29 pm »

Hmm...  Locking them in the arena with the hydra would be fun, but it seems a bit trite after what you did to the last batch.  Personally, if you have some bauxite, I'd like to see an elaborate system to flood a room with [1/7] magma.  Burn their feet off!

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: December 29, 2008, 01:17:52 pm »

Thanks for the suggestions. I shall use both. Mwehehe.

Shoruke's Log. 21st of Limestone. (early autumn, year 25)
The dwarven caravan came about a week ago. We've got just about everything into the depot already. We actually ran out of goblin/elven clothes in the dump. Hopefully what we do have will be sufficient.

I've also decided that these nobles are making even worse demands than the last bunch (make nickel silver items, don't export amulets, don't export pickaxes) and we will have to get rid of them... sooner is preferable to later. I designated an area which will be the place of their demise, but the miners are busy with The Archives and won't get around to it for about a month or two.

I've also decided that making any coins AT ALL in the first place was a bad idea. They're cluttering up our forges, and slowing metal production down. I'm going to have them dumped into the new magma pits, and they will be melted into nothingness. Down with capitalism!*

One of the fisherdwarves was possessed today. I guess it's that ghost from our first year again. Void is sympathetic to the fisherdwarf, having been the first one to have been possessed by this ghost.

...Did I neglect to mention that before? I guess I did. Void was the dwarf who created our first artifact.

Anyway, the fisherdwarf ran off and kicked one of the craftsdwarves out of their workplace. Now he's running around picking up all kinds of stuff.

Armok's Log. Supplementary to Shoruke's.
Shoruke's actual reason for dumping the coins was that he wanted to get rid of them in the hope of raising his FPS. He doesn't actually use the forges much.

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: December 29, 2008, 01:31:33 pm »

Shoruke's Log. 25th of Limstone. (early autumn, year 25)
I bought the dwarven caravan's stuff. I didn't manage to get all of it, not by a long shot (Times like this, I actually want the goblins to come siege us so we can take their stuff). However, we did get lots of metal, food, leather, silk, and some metal equipment. We didn't get much wood, which is slightly disappointing, but we'll manage.

And that ghost made our fisherdwarf collect some stuff. Now it's working furiously on... I don't even know what.

Well, it's going to be made mostly of rock, which sucks. But at least it'll have 4 gems on it, so it can't be all bad. And I assume it's going to menace with spikes of glass. All but one of our artifacts menace with spikes of some sort. The only one that doesn't is the puzzlebox made out of one obsidian rock.

rickvoid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: December 30, 2008, 08:16:54 pm »

My little buddy made our first artifact? Sweet. What did he make?  ;D

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: December 31, 2008, 05:06:05 pm »

You made the highwood cup. It has decorations of palm, bands of highwood, a picture of ash trees in donkey bone, and a picture of itself in acacia.

Shoruke's Log. 4th of Sandstone. (mid autumn, year 25)
The fisherdwarf made a claystone idol. It's even uselesser than an earring (at least you can wear earrings), but it's worth 74,400☼.

The miners have finished the new section of The Archives, and are now working on the noblecide chambers. Two of them are 3x3 rooms, which will have the noble's bed to sleep in, plus some caged enemies. The other two are oddly shaped rooms with room for five dwarves. These will also contain a bed for a noble, plus two floodgates with room for one dwarf between them, and a passage right into the side of the volcano. The point being that we can calculate the volume of magma that will be held between the two floodgates, and disperse it in the noblecide chamber in such a way that the magma will only be ankle-deep. The working-class dwarves agree that they should be tormented in their last moments in life. Also, once the nobles destined to be eaten are dead, I will flood their rooms with the magma too. They do not deserve a dwarven burial; they will be cremated (along with their clothing, which is fine since none of us will want it) like Buddhist humans.

Apparently, however, all the miner's share Emperor's phobia of falling into magma they aren't channeling into. I need to tell them, every time they swing their pick, that it'll be okay. Well... it'll be okay until one of them has to actually punch through into the volcano, but then they just have to run fast. All of our miners are legendary, I'm sure they can outrun magma.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2008, 05:10:28 pm by shoruke »

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: December 31, 2008, 05:53:25 pm »

Shoruke's Log. 17th of Sandstone. (mid autumn, year 25)
The miners finished mining out the noblecide rooms, and I've told them to dig out the entire Archives level. If there's any more valuable rocks or minerals on that level, so help me we're going to find them. We are now in the process of furnishing the noblecide rooms... with floodgates and beds. Oh, and I suppose we'll need to put some cages in there. The mechanics are going to be busy for a while. Hopefully we can get everything set up in good time, because the Count has a mandate for nickel silver items going that I'd rather not meet.

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: January 06, 2009, 08:56:38 pm »

Sorry for the period of non-posting everyone :-X

Shoruke's Log. 5th of Timber. (late autumn, year 25)
We've been working hard to get the noble-cide chambers up and running. I'm thinking about engraving the walls just for the hell of it. Possibly with pictures of things burning. Like that skeletal dragon that roasted the carpenter, or the lion that Rick's dog pushed into the volcano.

It's not going as fast as it could be because we're somehow out of mechanisms again (how does that happen?), and because I'm trying to do it without anyone getting stuck on the other side of the floodgate and has to wait for somebody to link the floodgate up before they get let out.

Also, a bunch of leather and bone equipment found its way into the equipment stockpile again. TREACHERY?!? Probably not. I ordered to have it all dumped with the goblin/elf clothing, and we'll just sell it to someone. Probably the humans, they're coming first. I just hope that they don't mind us selling them dwarf-sized clothes.

Shoruke's Log. 15th of Timber. (late autumn)
We're done setting up the floodgates for the magma-powered noblecide rooms. We just need to finish linking up the cages in the other two rooms, and to have someone dig out the final piece of rock into the volcano. Elfbane expressed (rather vehemently) that he would rather not be the one who would have to outrun magma, even if it is for the purpose of creative noblecide. Emperor also has this thing about digging into warm rock that gives him the jitters. So I choose... Domas!

Hey, wait a second. We can dig out that tile from above, and nobody will be in any danger. There will be digging through warm rock involved, but thankfully nobody will be in any danger of getting melted.

Speaking of warm rock. I've noticed that the walls of The Tower (the third floor of which is almost done, by the way) are warm. Quite warm. They're about the same temperature as the walls of the volcano. I'm sure I've mentioned this before. But it kinda worries me. Are we building a giant magnifying glass over our heads, so that nobody will be able to get out of The Gate without being baked?

Oh, and I forgot to give the floodgates for the noblecide rooms magma-resistant mechanisms. I must remedy this.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2009, 09:18:01 pm by shoruke »

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: January 06, 2009, 09:38:00 pm »

Shoruke's Log. 22nd of Timber. (late autumn, year 25)
Well, some deconstruction later, I realize that all hope is not lost for this project. I found, in my records, some bauxite in the old practice rooms. It also just so happens that the walls of that room are bauxite, so we can mine more and have plenty. (or, at least, we COULD if the miners weren't super busy with The Archives.) I've assigned Ingish (the pickaxe-fighter) out of the military to help with the digging duties.

So basically, I'm going to have the miners collect some bauxite, dump it into a room with a masonry and mechanics shop, and make some bauxite floodgates and mechanisms. Maybe I'll even make the floodgates/mechanisms myself.

...I REALLY hope that none of the nobles get wind of this project. They probably won't, they just spend all their time NOBLING and changing prices.

Shoruke's Log. 15th of Moonstone. (early winter)
A vile force of darkness has arrived. Yay! Some action! And trading goods! Anyway, standard procedure is to provide a tactical report.

There's four squads.
-1 from the southwest, composed mostly of axemen plus a couple wrestlers; led by an elite crossbowman.
-1 from the west-south-west, composed of spearmen and wrestlers and led by a mace lord.
-2 from the northeast; 1 has bowmen and a couple wrestlers, led by a spearmaster. The other is mostly wrestlers and a couple spearmen, led by a swordmaster.

Rick RFB is standing just outside The Gate, so he's ready to go. I assigned all of the melee militants into his squad. I also assigned the marksdwarves to patrol around the (completed) skybound level of The Tower. I also put out an order that non-military dwarves cannot go outside.

Shoruke's Log. End of The First Try.
Well...we won, but Rick got his tummy and his lower body broken, Void became an elite marksdwarf and then bled to death, and two of our axe lords died. At least we managed to break the siege and capture the spearmaster, who is not a spearmaster at all, but rather a pikemaster. But let's see if we can do that better.

Shoruke's Log. End of The Second Try.
Well, I had it all set up, but for a second I told Rick to go outside. Then I ordered him back in when I remembered that he was all on his lonesome until backup arrived. Then Maggarg got there, and the last order Maggarg had heard was BOOK IT AND RUSH THEM, which he did, and died almost instantly. Then that elite crossbowman (who is actually a pretty good shot) shot Sir Geo, mangling both of her lungs as well as her heart. She died of blood loss. Then the elite crossbow-goblin shot and killed HER BABY.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2009, 10:51:01 pm by shoruke »
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 28