Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 28

Author Topic: Angcuggan Okbod: The Red Sands of Doom  (Read 27643 times)

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
  • There's a Prinny in Fire Emblem, dood!?
    • View Profile
Re: Angcuggan Okbod: The Red Sands of Doom
« Reply #300 on: December 17, 2008, 10:43:21 pm »

Shoruke's Log. 22nd of Opal. (mid winter, year 24)
Emperor found a vein of native platinum within the magnetite, which is cool. I dare say that The Archives is going to be a great way to replenish our stocks of metal bars.

Also, one of the metalsmiths was murdered by skamels recently. The skamels were beaten, and replaced by normal camels. Only one of the camels is left alive, because Rick went on a murderous rampage and brutally slaughtered the rest of them. I would draw a picture of it, but... it's just too terrible. I'll just say that the camels had more things broken than intact by the time they died.

And we're having trouble with setting up Monk's Turret... I had been going to give him spare ammunition and provisions while I locked him up there, but every time anyone dumps something there, it falls off. You'd wonder if the haulers are interpreting the order 'dump' as 'throw' and they keep missing or something.
The Unforgotten Beast, Shoruke, has come! A pale-skinned human. It has heterochromatic eyes and moves in an unpredictable manner. Beware its rapier wit!

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: December 17, 2008, 11:44:33 pm »

Shoruke's Log. 15th of Obsidian. (late winter, year 24)
The skamels are back because the normal camel left. They're not having a whole heckuva lot of luck rushing The Gate though. They keep getting caught in the cage traps.

I expanded Monk's turret a bit, and now people dump stuff ONTO it like they're supposed to, instead of dumping stuff OFF it like they were before. Once all the nobles are assembled in the arena, the 'match' can begin.

Speaking of the nobles, they've been shuffling their mandates like crazy for the past month.

"I'm switching my mandate on greaves for copper items"
"I'm switching my mandate on tables for battle axes"

At least they aren't making rapidfire production mandates. That would be just annoying.

Shoruke's Log. 21st of Obsidian. (late winter)
I have everyone right where I want them. All four of the useless nobles (Countess, Count Consort, Hammerer, and Tax Collector; I would have thrown the Captain of the Guard in there too, but then it would have taken too long to line everything up) are stuck in the arena. Most of their children are stuck their, too... royal blood is only good for spilling. (perhaps I shall have to mark down their other two small children for death, too... noblecide is tiring) Monk is also in his turret, which is furnished with 50 very nice iron bolts and some provisions (he's been up there for a couple weeks, you understand). There's also some planter, drafted into the military, standing by to pull the lever and release the Titan.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

This is going to be awesome.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2008, 10:08:35 pm by shoruke »
The Unforgotten Beast, Shoruke, has come! A pale-skinned human. It has heterochromatic eyes and moves in an unpredictable manner. Beware its rapier wit!

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: December 17, 2008, 11:55:49 pm »

I remember letting my tax collector fight a goblin wrestler. He broke the goblin's arm before being injured, so I ended up letting him live. In the same fortress, my hammerer rushed a rampaging titan and managed to give my military enough time to get there and save a bunch of my dwarves. Since then, I've always kept the Hammerer.

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: December 18, 2008, 12:14:04 am »

Well, sorry in advance for my shoddy moviemaking. I got a little confused during some parts.

Shoruke's Log.

http://mkv25.net/dfma/movie-990-titanfailstokillthenobles

We had an EPIC FAIL of a fight. We released the titan... and nothing happened for a while. Then one of the kids decided he would go try and get a drink, so he went over to the (closed) drawbridge, and got scared away by the titan. The titan, of course, noticed the kid, and rushed after him. The titan pretty quickly got right up close to ALL the nobles, and started wrestling with the tax collector; the titan broke her leg, and then snapped her neck. The titan would undoubtedly have proceeded, but the hammerer came and started pounding on the titan... to no effect for a while. Then eventually the titan ran out of energy, and the hammerer killed it. Then the tax collector finished it off.

Shoruke's Log. 2nd try.
Well, I'm going to have to wait for the new year ([/log] in the game [log]) to do the arena match, because It will autosave in the middle of the match if I don't and then... yeah. Bad.

Anyway, the titan killed the hammerer and took a couple shots to the stomach. Then it proceeded to a child and... just... ouch.

Then it went up to the Tax Collector again, and laid the beat-down on him, too. And then the titan ran out of energy again.

[/log] I'm going to have to finish this off tomorrow, but at least I proved that the titan has a chance. I'm also going to go back through my entire journal and add spoiler tags to all my pictures. Gah.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2008, 12:27:01 am by shoruke »

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: December 19, 2008, 12:45:35 am »

I just played until spring arrived... I spent a bunch of time adding spoilers to the rest of the thread. Go check it out if it tickles your fancy.

Shoruke's Log. 1st of Granite. (early spring, year twenty...four? NO DAMMIT five. 25)
So there's this anomaly that I've come to think of as Seasonal Soakup. Every time the season changes, all the puke... and the blood... just soaks into the ground and disappears. Observe.

Before:

After:

The whole fortress (well the outside anyway) looks so much better! Anyway, I'm thinking that, now that I've let the nobles get just a little bit thirsty, it's a good time to release the titan... because obviously I haven't done it yet. Definitely not.

Wintrow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: December 19, 2008, 03:41:15 am »

I'm still on page 14, :) but I'd like to claim a dwarf.

The brewer (if he/she is unclaimed).
Name: Beer Fairsabers (it goes for male and less male dwarfs!)

I'm really enjoying this story, and I still have a lot op catching up to do on the 2nd Nist Akath thread. Good thing I'll have 2 weeks off soon.  ;D
Dwarfs being in love with gold. "What? No, we only say that to get it into bed."

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: December 19, 2008, 04:32:49 pm »

Shoruke's Log. 1st of Granite. Supplementary. (early spring, year 25)
One of the farmers came down with NCS today. Perhaps NCS is caused by strong emotions, and this particular dwarf is excited about the arena match? At least he chose a name done in dwarven style: Beer Fairsabers. Just take three random short words, and string them together. I approve. Even though it does make his full name a little long...

Also, I had that planter pull the lever to release the titan. Should be fun to watch...

Shoruke's Log. 20th of Granite. (early spring)
We released the titan. It killed a child and the hammerer with one punch each, strangled another child to a slow death, killed the countess and her baby in one shot each, and then failed to kill the tax collector. The titan broke his upper body and mangled his lower body, mangled his neck, and broke one of his legs, then became too tired to continue fighting. They remained locked in combat (the titan would periodically fall unconscious, presumably from exhaustion) for a week and a half or so, until I got tired of waiting and told Monk to pick up his crossbow. Monk picked up the crossbow, his quiver, and some bolts, and started firing. His first shot:

The titan died shortly after. The tax collector, no longer being strangled, bled to death a moment later.

The count consort is still alive. I'm leaving him and Monk in there (sorry Monk) until the count consort dies. Monk's food rotted away, but the count consort is already hungry and monk is not. I'm going to try to get Monk out of there using the levers (by stationing him near the bridge), and have him walk out while leaving the count consort inside. Failing that, I'll have Monk go through the door that leads to the rest of the fortress and have him lock it behind him.

The elves have come again. They actually came about a week ago. Of course, I took their stuff... and have locked them in the Green Glass Hallway. Now we're going to ballista them until they're all dead... or insane.

The happy-go-lucky news is that they brought us lots of wood for us to make more clear glass blocks out of. Speaking of which, the third level of The Tower is about halfway done; the floors on the inside perimeter are all set in place, now we just need to put the walls up and carve them into fortifications.

Shoruke's Log. 8th of Slate. (mid spring)
Not much has happened. We finally figured out some way of getting the bridge and the bars of the arena set up the way we want them... no all that's left is to see which happens first, the levers getting set up, or the count consort starving to death. He's hunting for vermin in there, to no avail. I ALMOST feel sorry for the guy... almost.

We ran out of ballista arrows to shoot at the elves with, and we haven't hit them at all. I'm going to have several ballistae set up at the end of the Green Glass Hallway, since the elves tend to mingle there when they're sealed in; then we can shoot them from point-blank range.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2008, 05:30:52 pm by shoruke »

ZealTheSavior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: December 19, 2008, 05:32:48 pm »

If you're having trouble with people having long names there's an option in the init file that let's you make the nickname the persons full name without having the last name there.  So instead of "Zeal" Mcdwarvenpants it would become only "Zeal".

That's how I have mine.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2008, 05:35:29 pm by ZealTheSavior »

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: December 19, 2008, 05:53:00 pm »

...Interesting. But then nobody would have a last name! Thanks for the suggestion anyway though.

Shoruke's Log. 12th of Slate. (mid spring, year 25)
The count consort just threw the world's shortest ever tantrum: about .05 seconds. Other than that, the only things of note are that the skamels still haven't stopped coming, and that we're out of pearlash and are sadly behind in turning those logs we got from the elves into pearlash, so clear glass block production is ground to a screeching halt.

Shoruke's Log. 14th of Slate. (mid spring)
Migrants! The good news is that there's fresh blood in the fortress... the bad news is, that among the migrants are a Tax Collector, a Hammerer, and a Count. The old count consort isn't even dead yet! (though I think he's close) The migrant tally comes to:
-1 Tax Collector (boo)
-1 Hammerer (boo)
-1 Count (SUPER BOO)
-1 Countess Consort (UBER BOO just because she likes crystal glass)
-1 trapper (switched over to crafting)
-1 hunter (drafted into the military)
-1 animal caretaker (reassigned into metalworking)
-1 metal crafter

and that's it. No peasants, only nobles, rangers, and a metal crafter.

However, this small period of time also held some excitement: Mad Elf Syndrome strikes!

On the subject of the immigrants... I'm thinking that I'll include 4 more magma smelters, to speed up melting and smelting processes.

Oh, and we're a good ways done The Archives. I had all of the stone from dumped out of the section we're done engraving. So far it looks like this.

I think we have enough history that it's worth engraving another section now, so I'll get the engravers (plus myself) right on that.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2008, 06:29:46 pm by shoruke »

theevilmonk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: December 20, 2008, 01:05:45 am »

1 shot 1 kill ^^

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: December 21, 2008, 09:57:09 pm »

Shoruke's Log. 27th of Slate. (mid spring, year 25)
I send Banzay to kill the last living elf in the Green Glass Hallway (because of his spinal injury, he doesn't spar, so I thought he of all people needs the practice). He seemed to need help halfway through the fight (both he and the elf got pretty pissed at each other), so I sent Eshtan the mace lord to help him. Banzay got the final shot in, though.

Beer Fairsabers, the farmer who recently came down with NCS, seems to have improved in his ability to cook meals; today he made a ☼Wild strawberry roast☼. I'm beginning to wonder if NCS isn't such a bad thing; it actually seems to make the dwarves improve.

The haulers ran out of stuff to do, so I told them to dump a bunch of rock out of The Archives again. My dream for The Archives is to have the entire level, except for the volcano, the staircase, and the path to the aquifer that feeds the swimming pool, completely mined away, and engraved.

Speaking of the swimming pool, I guess that since we aren't in any kind of crisis I can stick some people in there. I think the miners, and Dracnor get to go first. The miners might actually need to swim out of the aquifer at some point, and Dracnor... well, he's been working away in his magma forge and smelter ever since we struck into the side of the volcano. He probably needs to cool of by now.

The Count Consort is dead! Now we FINALLY don't have to worry about his "item in tomb" mandate. Also, we can focus on not getting punished by the new nobles. I wonder if any of the other dwarves have any ideas about how to get rid of these pesky new nobles?
« Last Edit: December 21, 2008, 10:06:27 pm by shoruke »

Banzayatc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: December 21, 2008, 10:03:32 pm »

Well... I can finally claim the title of 'Elf Driller', for I killed an elf, and will surely kill more in the following years.

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: December 21, 2008, 10:15:23 pm »

Heh, I'd completely forgotten about the "elf driller" thing. I'm on it. You said his name, not his title, right? If you meant title just reply and I'll change it...

Shoruke's Log. 3rd of Felsite. (late spring, year 25)
The swimming squad (led by Emperor, and also has Elfbane, two other miners, and Dracnor) doesn't seem to understand what being stationed somewhere means when you're in the military. I tried to station them inside the swimming pool, and they all went to go have a nap. Then I tried stationing them next to the swimming pool, and all of them except Emperor went outside to examine a hole in the ground, and THEN they went to their station. It's quite odd.

And Banzay has come down with NCS again... he says that, since killing that elf is the funnest thing he's ever done, he wants his name to be switched to "Elf Driller". I guess I'll just have to oblige him.

Speaking of elves, I just remembered something... we didn't cut down any trees last year, so that we could clear cut the area and piss the elves off this year! Glack is happy with the clear-cutting. Elfbane and Elf Driller are happy with the purpose of the clear-cutting. Inaluct is happy that he gets to make some clear glass stuff again soon.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2008, 10:19:07 pm by shoruke »

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: December 21, 2008, 10:46:05 pm »

Shoruke's Log. 10th of Felsite. (late spring, year 25)
Emperor, Elfbane, and Dracnor are all in the swimming pool; the other 2 miners are excused because, well, they're sleeping. I'll keep the three named swimmers in there until they start getting hungry or tired or something, then I'll just let them out. I hope they don't get mad at me.

Also, I've read something about the number of fey moods a fortress gets being related to how many underground tiles the fortress has revealed. I honestly have no idea how that works (do fey moods come from awakening rock spirits or something?), but I'll just go along with it and try to reveal as many tiles as possible during my projects. The Archives are going to be a great help for that.

Shoruke's Log. 20th of Felsite. (late spring, year 25)
I've decided that it's time to upgrade our military's equipment. I'm dumping all the equipment in the stockpiles that are made of bone, leather, or shell, and I'm taking all the weapons that are either made of sub-par metal or were shoddily made. Since we have so much iron now after striking that magnetite vein in The Archives (and we still haven't mined it all the way out yet), we have the resources to have the metalworkers practice making weapons and armor until our entire military (and I suppose The Guard, too, but they have to wait their turn) has high-quality equipment.

Shoruke's Log. 24th of Felsite. (late spring)
I let Elfbane, Dracnor, and Emperor out of the swimming pool today. They're all adjective-less swimmers now. They were all still decently happy, although their ecstatic-ness was slightly dampened by their trial. Elfbane fell asleep on the ground on his way out the door, and Emperor had a drink from the swimming pool water (ew) just before he left. Dracnor went to go haul something. Elfbane and Emperor are still ecstatic; Dracnor is "quite content". I hope Dracnor's time in the magma forges is more pleasant after cooling off.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2008, 11:25:11 pm by shoruke »

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: December 21, 2008, 11:49:49 pm »

Shoruke's Log. 1st of Hematite. (early summer, year 25)
The hottest part of the year comes again. Argh.

The skeletal camels have been a continuous presence for years now, and Rick has been dealing with them. Part of the day-to-day management of the fortress is making sure that Rick's station is close to either The Gate or the newest pack of skeletal camels. Rick's kill count is up to 105 notable kills (one mule, a few camels, a kobold, and the rest are goblins) and a whopping 683 other kills.

I decided that, since these new nobles are probably going to need them, that they should get some tombs. Unfortunately they'll go ballistic if we try to give them a slot in the community tombs (which need expanding), so we'll make them some nice fancy ones. Made of platinum. And surrounded by engraved walls and floors. If they complain, so help me I'll murder them myself...

Since clear glass production was down, but haulers kept on filling up bags with sand, we have no spare bags... so I had the glassmakers create some green glass tables and chairs, and fill our dining hall up a little bit more.

Apparently after the Count Consort died, I forgot to let Monk out of his turret. I did so, apologizing to him profusely, but he doesn't seem to mind. He just said that he's happy that he got to be a part of The Regicide. I guess he doesn't mind living off of river spirits, with just his dogs for company for extended periods of time.

Glack (with a little bit of help from the other woodcutters) finished clear-cutting all the trees outside. Now there's more that just reached maturity. He's very happy.

The new magma smelters are coming along okay... we aren't even close to filling up the pit with magma yet, since I want the walls engraved, but we're getting there.

Lastly, the new nobles have issued their first mandate. The Count has demanded that we make something, anything, out of nickel silver. Actually, he wants three "something, anything"s made of nickel silver. This guy is going to be a handful unless we get rid of him quick.

Shoruke's Log. 8th of Hematite. (early summer)
One week to the day after the Count issues a mandate for nickel silver stuff (figures he'd pick a metal we don't have much of), the Tax Collector issues a mandate for three brass items. Well, we have 10 brass bars, so we're okay... for now. If he issues too many mandates for brass items, it's going to get ugly.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2008, 12:01:29 am by shoruke »
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 28