Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 28

Author Topic: Angcuggan Okbod: The Red Sands of Doom  (Read 27634 times)

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
  • There's a Prinny in Fire Emblem, dood!?
    • View Profile
Re: Angcuggan Okbod
« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2008, 07:54:00 pm »

Shoruke's Log. 4th of Moonstone. (early winter)
Winter? Bah. IT'S STILL HOT.

The impish wildfire spread. I couldn't help but notice the gazelle's reaction to the blaze: not to run away like a sensible creature (e.g. Bambi), but to run straight through the fire. It was much like a person with someone to save, only without anyone to save.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Dearie me. That looks painful.

Oh yes, and the brushfire did not affect our actual fortress (or the trees and bushes; only the grass it seems). Somehow, I predicted this would happen, even though I have definately not seen the imps start a brushfire and watch the flames die three feet from the ramp before. Of course I haven't. The very idea is absurd.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2008, 09:03:46 pm by shoruke »
The Unforgotten Beast, Shoruke, has come! A pale-skinned human. It has heterochromatic eyes and moves in an unpredictable manner. Beware its rapier wit!

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 12, 2008, 09:15:45 pm »

Shoruke's Log. 15th of Obsidian. (late winter)
Hmm, things have been comparatively boring around here. Obviously, since I went longer than a month without logging anything.

The 'workshop level' is almost done. IT's even almost full of workshops! We just need some clothiers, leatherworkers, and craftsdwarves. Oh, and we should probably put some effort into finding some metal.

I gave monk a crossbow (it's made of one-humped camel bone. Presumably that same camel that died in Lambskin's trap). He says it's "bitchin'", whatever that means (I somehow doubt he means that it is complaining in a loud and rather annoying way). I'm going to have him spar with Rick until they have some actual combat experience.
Speaking of Rick, I've sent him against almost everything that comes here: warthogs, fire imps (okay they don't 'come', per-say, but they are here), gazelles... everything is either way too frigging tough for him, or too scared to face him. I need something that will let him land a hit (either brave or REALLY slow; his armor is heavy, I guess. It must suck in this heat), without killing him. I suppose for a short while that something is going to have to be Monk.

Oh yes. Construction of the bedrooms is beginning. The architecture is ready (all non-noble dwarves will have their own room three spaces big, containing a bed, a chest, and a cabinet), now I just need to figure out how to group the rooms. I'm going to organize them by profession: military dwarves in one direction (they sleep in the barracks, but will need the storage space), miners/masons in another direction, nobles in another direction...

And, much to my dismay, the bedroom level is as far down as we can safely dig. If we go down any farther, we might fall into the core of the planet and die, or the radiant heat from the core of the earth will bake us and we'll die.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2008, 09:04:28 pm by shoruke »
The Unforgotten Beast, Shoruke, has come! A pale-skinned human. It has heterochromatic eyes and moves in an unpredictable manner. Beware its rapier wit!

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 12, 2008, 09:55:56 pm »

Oh ARMOK fricking no. Not them. I could bear living here if it wasn't for hippies.

I would even prefer goblins... at least goblins are dumb enough to stay still while you shoot them with a catapult.

Elfbane in particular seems more worked up than usual. I suddenly find myself wondering how precisely he got his name. No matter...

I think it's time to give the elves some payback for corrupting my save file the local wildlife. YOUR STUFF IS MINE!

P.S. anyone in the fort who has a preferance as to what we do with the elves, go ahead and post it. I'll refrain from playing the fortress for all of tomorrow, to give people a chance to respond. If anyone who is NOT in the fort has a preferance as to what we do to/with the elves, JOIN THE FORTRESS and post it :P.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2008, 11:59:57 pm by shoruke »

theevilmonk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 13, 2008, 12:42:39 am »

and so monk siad unto his leader, LET ME SHOOST AT THE ELVES..... Dam Hippies

Emperor_Jonathan

• Bay Watcher
  • GET UP SUCKER
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 13, 2008, 01:39:42 am »

Seise their goods. Soon they will come!

GoldPanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 13, 2008, 04:00:58 am »

Elves? Elves?!

Someone hold me back!

Pee in a barrel and sell it to them as "Dwarven ale"!

muwahahaha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 13, 2008, 06:22:19 am »

Regardless of what you do with the elves, I will poison you all in the name of the goblins!

Uhm... I mean... uh....

Kill them! Pesky elves!

Stop looking at me! I will poison you!

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 14, 2008, 03:02:03 pm »

Shoruke's Log. 4th of Slate. (mid spring)
I hate elves. The only good things they have are cloth and rope. Their garments are way too big, their equipment is WOODEN, their arrows don't fit our (e.g. Monk's) crossbow, and they didn't bring any food. GARR! I decided that, since their goods were not worth much, I should simply take them. The elves don't seem to understand my flawless reasoning.

They did have one interesting thing, though... a caged deer. Sounds yummy.

Monk was, not surprisingly, injured while sparring with Rick. Monk is now a wrestler (he refused to spar with his unloaded crossbow and gain hammering experience), and Rick is still a recruit, but Rick should be close to having some kind of mace-wielding skill. If only that deer wasn't tame... I could put it in a small room with Rick, and have Rick bludgeon it to death. Oh yes, and Monk's injury is a broken leg... he should be fine in a few months, but he won't be doing much, either.

With Monk's injury, we seem in sudden need of a well. Alcohol, while being the hands-down greastest thing to drink ever, does not inspire quick healing. Well, there was already a hole dug down to the aquifer just outside the fortress gate, so I had the miners expand the hole and dig some channels in it. The well is currently in the process of being constructed. We already had mechanisms; rock blocks and a bucket are easy enough to create, and we used one of the ropes I stole obtained from the elves.
I think I'll have to link the well to the fortress in some way that doesn't involve going outside... but that can be done later.

What I want to know is, who the hell gave the elves our location? The whole purpose of tis fortress is so that the other races can't find us! And why would they come here anyway?

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 14, 2008, 03:14:56 pm »

Shoruke's Log. 5th of Slate.
We struck tetrahedrite. Not exactly the metal I wanted (I wanted iron ores, not silver ones...), but it's a start. It'll give dracnor something to do, I suppose.

and... MIGRANTS! yay. The tally comes to
-1 Fishery Worker (which is perfectly timed, seeing as we JUST struck the aquifer for water purposes)
-1 Bone Carver
-1 Lye Maker
-2 Milkers (...why? nothing here can be milked.)
-1 Engraver
-1 Woodcutter
-1 Fish Dissector (he'll be fishing, too, mark my words)
-2 Jewelers
-1 Miner
-1 Furnace Operator
-1 Ranger
and -7 Stupid useless idiots peasants.

So I suppose most of the peasants will have to be drafter, for lack of anything better to do with them... But, uh... how the hell are we going to outfit all of them?!? :o

Shoruke's Log. 6th of Slate. (mid spring)
One of the peasants seems to have misunderstood his orders. I had TOLD him to do milling, clothesmaking, dyeing, and weaving. He seems to have heard me tell him to do hunting, as well, so he went out and got himself killed by a fire imp. I'm going to have Rick scare the imp off, and then we'll all go retrieve the clothes of Kogan Rathlogem. Oh yes, and I suppose we'll have to bury him in some hygienic, out-of-the-way place, too.

The immigrant that was an ACTUAL hunter was hurt as well. These new people are idiots. No wonder they sent them here, they must have been the only dwarves stupid enough to agree to go somewhere this frigging hot.

Shoruke's Log. 10th of Slate. (mid-spring)
Hmm, I just thought of a way to outfit all of our new military dwarves... with weapons, anyway. They will (almost) all be swordsdwarves, wielding blades of obsidian... until we have enough metal to create actual equipment, anyway.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2008, 03:30:22 pm by shoruke »

theevilmonk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 14, 2008, 03:21:10 pm »

ohhh....  water? i want booze!!!

R1ck

• Bay Watcher
  • Uninvited Guest
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 14, 2008, 03:23:54 pm »

Score, leg-breaking skillz! Monk, as has been said before, injured dwarves are overcome with a strange madness, and
so will only drink water. 
BTEAMHOB-Year 10 - It's POI'd to the extreme

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 14, 2008, 03:49:14 pm »

Shoruke's Log. 22nd of Slate. (mid spring)
Yay! FINALLY!

Good job, Rick. Only three more of them left!  :P
Anyway, maybe those Giant lions that just arrived are brave enough to face Rick, but wussy enough for him to kill them.

Since we are unable to dig straight down any further, I'm having the miners dig sideways from just above the 'food' level, and we'll have another staircase which will have the tombs, the jail, and maybe some nobles' rooms. Also, I have some ingenious plans forming... a gladiator arena... and a training pit... hee hee hee.

Shoruke's Log. 25th of Slate. (mid spring)
Hmmmmm... I didn't think you could do this. Apparently you can, though, as demonstrated by our newest (and only) leatherworker, who is completely unskilled.

I wonder what fire imp tastes like. As long as it's not hot or spicy.

Shoruke's Log. Supplementary.
Hrmm... when the fire imp was butchered, its fat immediately boiled itself and created a cloud of evaporated fire imp fat. The cloud dissipated in no time at all, but it is interesting. I wonder if boiling cloud traps could be implemented?!? Probably not. It would be fun to watch though.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2008, 09:05:16 pm by shoruke »

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 14, 2008, 04:20:24 pm »

Shoruke's Log. 2nd of Felsite. (late spring)
Rick has managed to kill three fire imps, which means that all four fire imps are dead. Wait, what? Well, I suppose the last one was killed by the gaint lions it was attacking.
I do feel sorry for Rick, though. Running around, having fire blown at him, in this heat. Yeesh. It's hot enough underground.

Shoruke's Log. 20th of Felsite. (late spring)
my next project is to get magma usage going. Then perhaps we can get some glass production going. Okay, by "next project", I mean that it's the project I'm working on and it's almost done.

Shoruke's Log. 27th of Felsite. (late spring)
Oh, Armok. Our fortress is haunted. And not just by undeads. Today, one of our dwarves was possesed by ghosts! He was possesed while lounging around in the meeting hall. He suddenly booked it for the work level, claimed the craftsdwarf's workshop, and stood there muttering
"tree... life..."
"bones... yes..."
which we take to mean he wants some logs and some bones. Well jeez, he can go get the frickin bones himself, they're right outside. But we're going to have to chop some logs for... him? it? so that this spirit doesn't get pissed at us.

What? I forgot to mention we're flat out of logs? Well we are. But we have a battleaxe, and Glack, so we're okay.

Shoruke's Log. 6th of Hematite. (early summer)
Gah. Summer again. Need I say it? IT'S FRICKING HOT.

That ghost that possessing the lye maker seems rather slow witted. It waited until we had all of the things it wanted organized into their stockpiles, and THEN it went about collecting them. I wonder what it's going to do with them.

Monk has recovered. That silly ranger hasn't. I'll have someone make Monk some leather gear... or maybe the ranger can have it and I'll wait until Monk can be given metal stuffs.

Shoruke's Log. 9th of Hematite. (early summer)
That freaky spirit seems hell bent on creating some kind of widgit. It took three logs (Three whole logs! Each one is more than equivalent to the mass of a bed. Just how big is thing thing gonna be?) and 5 deer bones. Now it works its materials furiously, using our lye maker as a medium, muttering some name.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2008, 05:37:52 pm by shoruke »

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 14, 2008, 04:56:01 pm »

Shoruke's Log. 13th of Hematite. (early summer)
Two things.

1) That ghost made an earring, and left. At least it's a valuable earring.

My biggest question here is, who would wear a spiked earring?

2) HUMANS! I can put up with humans. And they have a reputation of bringing SO MUCH STUFF. We're going to sell them quite a bit.

Shoruke's Log. Supplementary.
We sold the humans a bunch of mechanisms, which they seem to like. I guess humans aren't very technologically advanced. I purchased a lot of wood (quite a bit), some food, a bin full of leather, a couple bags of seeds, an empty barrel and some thread.

I asked the humans for all the leather, cloth, wood, barrels, meat, alcohol, metal, and war-ready armor they could bring. I doubt we'll be able to buy ALL of it, but at least we'll be able to pick and choose what we need most.

And, the very next day, we suffered our first (important) loss of dwarven life. Three kobolds attempted to infiltrate our fortress at the same time. Emporer ran into two of them, and engaged them in combat with his pickaxe. He was a legendary miner, and super buff, but since he could only attack one kobold at a time, the other one struck him in the head with it's small copper dagger and killed him.

"It cannot be!" cried the dwarves. "Emperor cannot be dead."
"You are all correct," I conceded, "He can't." So I went back in time and did the month over.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2008, 09:06:08 pm by shoruke »

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 14, 2008, 05:36:27 pm »

Shoruke's Log. 14th of Hematite. (early summer)
Gah. Summer again. Need I say it? IT'S FRIGGING HOT.

The ghost in the attic lye maker seems kinda dumb. It waited until everything it wanted was sorted into their stockpiles, and THEN set about collecting them. It took three logs (three whole logs! that's enough wood to furnish most dwarves' entire rooms!) and seven donkey bones.

Monk's injuries have recovered, but that stupid @$$ silly ranger's havn't. I think I shall have an archery range constructed for Monk soon.

Ah yes... the humans are coming. Humans, unlike elves, are peaceable creatures and actually have decent stuff to sell most of the time. (wait, how did they find our location? I think there's a leak back at the mountainhomes.) We're going to sell them a whole shwack of mechanisms and buy some loot. Actually BUY this time, not like those stupid elves deserve.

The ghost made a cup, and now it seems to have exorcised itself. It has a picture of itself on it.

At least it's a valuable cup. Who uses cups though? Dwarves are supposed to drink straight from the barrel. I wonder if the humans will buy it.

HEY WAITTAMINNIT what the hell? This cup was made from three FULL SIZE LOGS. Not to mention seven donkey bones. It's a cup! Albeit a heavily decorated cup, but shouldn't it be... like... bigger?!?
« Last Edit: December 18, 2008, 09:06:42 pm by shoruke »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 28