Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 28

Author Topic: Angcuggan Okbod: The Red Sands of Doom  (Read 27644 times)

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
  • There's a Prinny in Fire Emblem, dood!?
    • View Profile
Re: Angcuggan Okbod: The Red Sands of Doom
« Reply #285 on: December 12, 2008, 08:16:49 pm »

Okay, so...
1) sorry for not posting for a couple days, and there's no journal entry today... stupid life, distracting me and whatnot
2) I notice that, despite me having uhh... sketched the fortress and uploading it, I didn't post the link so here it is.

http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-4087-angcugganokbodtheredsandsofdoom

I'll have updates tomorrow! Seriously!

I think...
The Unforgotten Beast, Shoruke, has come! A pale-skinned human. It has heterochromatic eyes and moves in an unpredictable manner. Beware its rapier wit!

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: December 13, 2008, 02:43:42 pm »

Shoruke's Log. 1st of Sandstone. (mid autumn, year 24)
I finished trading with the dwarven caravan today, and now I can focus on settling the trade agreement.

They brought a lot of stuff. I bought almost all of it. I would have bought even more, but we actually didn't have enough stuff at the depot! Oh well. I decided simply not to buy a couple of things we didn't actually need (snakeman venom, severely overdecorated bags, that kind of thing) and we got everything we needed... including a bunch of steel equipment. We also got some relatively useless metal equipment like bismuth bronze maces, which we're going to melt down in case of stupid mandates. We also got wood, food, booze, some animals and spare cages, some seeds and empty bags, random metal bars...

The Tax Collector's Nigh-impossible mandate for leopard leather items will meet it's deadline soon. It's 1/2way done, and we don't have any leopa-

HOLY CRAP WE HAVE A LEOPARD LEATHER!

I put one of the leatherworkers into the military and stationed him inside what I call the "spare leatherworking room", which has three things: a hatch, to prevent escape, a leather stockpile (with the only permissable object being leopard leather), and a leatherworking workshop. He actually got it done in time, and now nobody will be punished for 'failing to meet the mandate's deadline.' Good job, Ducim the Leatherworker.

Shoruke's Log. 6th of Sandstone. (mid autumn)
A kobold tried to sneak into the fortress today. It was discovered by a fisherdwarf, who was at the time a single pace away from Rick. The kobold obviously tried to escape, but Rick caught it and knocked it out, and it was caught in the cage trap it was standing on. It then promptly bled to death, and its clothing somehow fell out of the cage.

Also, the Human Diplomat has FINALLY decided to come into the fortress and meet with the Countess. No doubt the conversation will be just RIVETING.

I've also designated the area in which the caged animals' cages are to be set up so they can properly be let out.

Shoruke's Log. 10th of Sandstone. (mid autumn)
My prediction about the conversation between the Countess and the human diplomat was correct. Just to be sure that the record of the conversation was accurate, I stood at the door and listened to them talking. Their conversations are indeed, this short.

"Hi Nice place Bye"
"What? I'm confused. I'm going to mandate that nobody export... umm... let's go with grates."

Shoruke's Log. 13th of Sandstone. (mid autumn)
The Count Consort ended a mandate. It wasn't the "item in tomb" mandate though, it was his "nobody export greaves" mandate. Seriously, he needs to let the "item in tomb" thing go. He also mandated that we make two bronze items, which shouldn't be too difficult.

We're getting back to work on The Tower and the training room, which will, from now on, be known as The Archives. We will dig out a HUGE area, smooth it over, and engrave it. I will be on the engraving team. Emperor, Elfbane, and the other miners are already done digging out the first section. It's going to be a long time before we're done smoothing it over though.

I also designated all the weak-metal weapons we have to be melted. Silver battleaxes, bismuth bronze maces, and copper whore whammers I MEAN WAR HAMMERS among them. I also assigned the steel weapon trap components we've bought to be melted; The steel can be better used as armor for our military. I suppose that, now that the mountainhomes are selling us steel, I'm going to have to redistribute ALL the frigging equipment again sometime. It probably won't be soon, or even this year, though.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2008, 03:10:11 pm by shoruke »
The Unforgotten Beast, Shoruke, has come! A pale-skinned human. It has heterochromatic eyes and moves in an unpredictable manner. Beware its rapier wit!

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: December 13, 2008, 03:41:14 pm »

Shoruke's Log. 16th of Sandstone. (mid autumn, year 24)
One of the stoneworkers withdrew from society today, and took over a mason's workshop. As long as he doesn't fail in his effort, he will make our fortress' dozenth artifact. Hopefully this one doesn't suck. It's a bit of a stretch to Hope that it will be awesome, but still, there is a hope.

Shoruke's Log. 22nd of Sandstone. (mid autumn)
The skamels are back. I sent Rick out to deal with them. I think that, now that he's legendary, I should put someone else up for skamel-hunting duty... perhaps Lilika or Banzay. *hint*I think I'll *hint* ask the rest of the *hint* dwarves about their opinion on this *hint*.

In the meantime, that stoneworker has stopped collecting his materials... the only thing he has a picture of that we don't have, is raw green glass. I've told the glassmakers to make three pieces of raw green glass, one for this guy and a couple extra for potential future artifacts.

Shoruke's Log. 25th of Sandstone. (mid autumn)
The stoneworker began a mysterious construction. He's using

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Well, he's got metal and Giant Cave Spider silk, so it should be pretty valuable I think.

And the merchants only just now started actually leaving, despite that they announced that they were on their way about two weeks ago.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2008, 10:07:39 pm by shoruke »

Banzayatc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: December 13, 2008, 03:54:57 pm »

Oh, I get the *hint*.

I'll be honored if you pick me to fight the elven druids' slaves. I'm getting tired of just sparring in barracks.

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: December 13, 2008, 04:07:10 pm »

Okay, you got it. It might be tougher for you than for Rick, since you're using a piercing weapon and he had a bludgeon weapon... but don't worry, I can savescum you out of trouble if need be.

Shoruke's Log. 1st of Timber. (late autumn, year 24)
All of the merchants are gone. I don't think they're very good with directions, since it took them this long to figure out how to get through one hallway and out of The Gate.

Banzay has agreed to take up his spear against the skamels. He says he's bored of increasing his skills just by sparring; I suppose that fighting the same dwarves over and over doesn't really get you a broad scope of fighting experience. Not that I'd know.

And that stoneworker finished his artifact.

It's a rock bed. It looks downright painful to sleep on. No way in hell is anyone going to get me to rest my head on that.

Metal Studs? Bands of solid rock and gemstone? Spikes of bone, iron, and glass? No practical use, but lots of decorational value (it's worth 60,000☼)? It's perfect for the nobles! I figure the king himself would gladly sleep on something like this... uncomfortable in the extreme, but very valuable.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2008, 10:07:53 pm by shoruke »

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: December 13, 2008, 04:30:45 pm »

Shoruke's Log. 5th of Timber. (late autumn, year 24)
Banzay went out to fight a group of four skamels (which is a comparatively small number of them), and died. So I sent him out again, this time with Ingish the pickaxe-fighter in tow, and they won. They both received a rather large number of bruises, but they healed quickly. Thankfully, Banzay has improved even after just this one skirmish. I've discovered that he's had a minor spinal injury for a while, and refuses to spar, so I guess once he's got a bunch of practice, he's going to be the new Rick for a while... the guy who runs around outside, in the hot desert, chasing after skeletal monsters while wearing hot, heavy armor.

In other news, I've decided to FINALLY implement the expansion to the bedrooms we've needed for about... four years. Mining, masonry, hauling, designating... okay, it could be worse, but it's not like creating extra bedrooms is fun or anything.

Shoruke's Log. 14th of Timber. (late autumn, year 24)
Well, I discovered something awesome today. As I went into the arena to designate more Vertical Bars to be set up (to create a "cage match"-like experience), a flash of white caught my eye, just above the drawbridge into the arena; it was bone. Goblin bone. It was on top of the clear glass windows. Apparently, one of the goresplosions someone created during an arena match involved a chunk of goblin flying upwards and landing on top of the windows. Good job, whomever.

Shoruke's Log. 16th of Timber. (late autumn)
Some living camels came to the fortress, and I sent Banzay out to kill them for practice. He caught up to one of them and... well... it was gruesome.

He stabbed it in the head, right through the eye; the blow punctured the skull, tore the eye clean out, and broke the camel's brain. HE BROKE ITS BRAIN.

...it was actually pretty impressive.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2008, 10:08:05 pm by shoruke »

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: December 13, 2008, 05:55:56 pm »

Shoruke's Log. 4th of Moonstone. (early winter, year 24)
Banzay spent half a month chasing down camels. Or should I say, one camel. After he brained that other camel, he (for whatever reason) dropped his spear and attempted to continue hunting camels with his bare hands. It didn't go so well.

He chased that camel around the entire map four times, never managing to do more than temporarily bruise it, until I decided that he needed help; I sent Void and Unas out to help him. I figured they would just pop out, shoot the camel, and between them and Banzay, it would be a piece of cake. This was not the case. The marksdwarves seemed to have this odd thing about not wanting to help him. They would sometimes decide that, despite them being required outside, that they had more important things to guard (namely, the alcohol) and that they didn't need to help Banzay. After I convinced them to fricking stay outside and do your job you lazy peoples, they would go chase Banzay around but not help. Sometimes they would even stand RIGHT NEXT to the camel, and not help him. It really was exasperating. Between one speardwarf with no spear, and two marksdwarves with no work ethic, it took half a month to kill one camel. Argh. Oh well... now Banzay is inside the fortress, looking for a new spear. Lilika's leg has also recovered, and I'm thinking of sending her out with Banzay next time he goes out to deal with the skamels.

Shoruke's Log. 6th of Moonstone. (early winter)
Well, time for Banzay and Lilika to go skamel hunting. I wonder how they'll do. I'm removing Ingish, the Pickaxer, from the military temporarily; he'll aid the miners in mining out The Archives. This will both increase the speed with which The Archives are completed, and give him some extra mining experience so that he does more damage in battle.

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: December 13, 2008, 06:18:01 pm »

Shoruke's Log. 11th of Moonstone. (early winter, year 24)
Banzay and Lilika went out to deal with some skamels to the south of the fortress, but Lilika had to rush back to the fortress to get a bite to eat. Apparently we've run out of backpacks, so she didn't have one to store food in. Banzay decided to try and deal with the skamels on his own; after all, he had good equipment and there was only three of them. He defeated one, gruesomely injured another one, but was forced by the last one to retreat. He ran inside the fortress, and the skamel chased him; as of this moment, the skamel is lurking just beyond the wall of cage traps. I wonder how a skamel that physically has no brains knows to do that.

The other skamel, brutally massacred as it is (it's missing two legs and it's back is broken three ways), was ambushed by goblins. I'm not going to lose any sleep over the skamel getting murdered, but goblins usually come in 3-5 squads at a time... we probably need to take some defensive measures. Okay, soldiers can go outside, but civilians can't. I'll post Flint and his squad (which consists of 5 legendary dwarves, two heroes, and Banzay and Lilika) just inside The Gate, and I'll have Monk's squad patrol around the fortified level of The Tower. Those goblins aren't going to get into this fortress.

Shoruke's Log. 12th of Moonstone. (early winter)
I think this whole 'ambush' plot was actually a cover-up to try and steal our children; we found a babysnatcher caught in one of the cage traps. Oh no. Protect the children. Sheesh, what a fool, you'd think the goblin thieves would have enough sneaking experience to bypass basic traps...
« Last Edit: December 13, 2008, 06:24:33 pm by shoruke »

Ririka

• Bay Watcher
  • 1 out of 8000
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: December 13, 2008, 08:57:35 pm »

So...I went back to the fortress just to eat..? That's...weird.   :-\
Call me Rika.
'I often don't know where my Luggage is, that's what being a tourist is all about,'said Twoflower.

lambskin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: December 13, 2008, 11:53:35 pm »

Woah! I can't believe I forgot all about this community fortress! Has anything intreasting happened to lambskin?
STRIKE THE ETC.

PowerGoal45, MEET THE CYBERFIST, (Future): You use your iron geared prosthetic hand to crush a piece of stone in front of the cowering goblin, and it passes out.

ZealTheSavior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: December 14, 2008, 12:34:11 pm »

I'd like to be a Plate-wearing Sword-wielding Shield-Bearing Male Dwarf please.
If there's no need for another Sword Dwarf then I'd like to be a Blacksmith of sorts. If there's no need for a Blacksmith then pick something useful for me.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2008, 02:04:36 pm by ZealTheSavior »

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: December 14, 2008, 05:38:13 pm »

Ririka: yes you did. Then you came back out again.
Lambskin: Yeah, you've made trillions of mechanisms and set up enough cage traps to stop a small army. Or a very dumb big one. There's also another thing, but that's to be announced later...
ZealTheSavior: blacksmith it is, you can have the legendary weaponsmith... unless you'd prefer me to draft one of the civilians? (which I can do easily, we have way too many crafters and farmers)(I can change the story later if you choose this)
everyone else: if you've requested a dwarf, you can request a special title if you want. Such as Rick's 'General' or my 'Leader'.

Shoruke's Log. 17th of Moonstone. (early winter, year 24)
I sent Banzay, Lilika, Void, and Unas out to destroy a group of four skamels. However, after they got their butts handed to them a few times (due to them wearing shell or bone equipment), I decided to send Eshtan the Mace Lord out first to make the skamels hit him and not the captains. Eshtan's rib cage is broken, but the captains are fine, and that's what counts. I think I'm going to have to force them to wear some better equipment before I send them out skamel hunting again.

Shortly after the captains got back, the legendary weaponsmith who made that artifact spear came down with NCS. He wanted his name changed to ZealTheSavior. I told him that dwarves usually don't have three first names, but that I'd put the change through anyway.

Shoruke's Log. 21st of Moonstone. (early winter)
After two more rounds of sending Banzay, Lilika, and another randomly-picked dwarf (a different one every time), it becomes obvious to me that the equipment redistribution is going to have to be sooner rather than later. The Mace Lord I sent out last time... well, suffice to say he can't carry anything for a while. At least he can make it back to bed okay.

Fortunately, I won't need to redistribute ALL the equipment; the people I've redistributed equipment to already are good to go. I'm also thinking about selling off all of our shell and bone equipment, so that people will stop picking it up and thinking they're safe.

Also, I'm confidant that there are no more (free) hostile goblins in the area, so I'm letting the military rest again.

Speaking of hostiles... the arena's cage-matchyness is done, now I just need to ask the other dwarves how they think we should get some of the more useless nobles into there to die. I have a few levers set up, but I wonder if there's a more efficient way...
« Last Edit: December 14, 2008, 05:59:46 pm by shoruke »

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: December 14, 2008, 06:51:07 pm »

Shoruke's Log. 16th of Moonstone. (early winter) (yes I did just go back in time)
Well, after Emperor, Monk, and some Axe Lord all got massacred, I decided I should save their butts this time. I'll send Atir the legendary hammerdwarf with the four captains this time, to ensure that nobody gets massacred. Then I'm going to do the equipment redistribution.

Shoruke's Log. 27th of Moonstone. (early winter)
Of course, since we're not even done dumping the goblins' stuff from the ambushes, we aren't even close to being ready to redistribute the equipment. On the bright side, I think we might be able to forge some brand new steel shields pretty soon... or maybe gauntlets (since we seem to have more turtle shell gauntlets than anything else).

A snatcher came to our fortress today (I'm wondering if I should put Sir Geo and the other legendary captains on guard?), and was discovered by an engraver and a farmer who were outside collecting items to dump. They immediately sprang forward towards the thief, and snapped his neck. Then, as he lay paralyzed, they began to pummel him until he bled to death. What a brutal way to go... but by god I'm proud of those two dwarves. I suppose it helped that the engraver was legendary, and therefore quite buff.

rickvoid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: December 15, 2008, 09:02:43 pm »

Well, reading through the last few updates, I was going to offer you send out my dwarf to provide coving fire for Banzay.

Then I read about his... "assistance". (My dwarf is Void. Heh.  ;D)
I think somebody needs to have his beard shaved off and be exiled from the fort for a season or three. But in this death-trap that's probably a death sentence. Alternately you could pit him against the Titan in an Arena battle as punishment.
Void:  :o "You want him to do WHAT!?"
HUSH YOU!!

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: December 17, 2008, 09:32:24 pm »

Shoruke's Log. 9th of Opal. (mid winter, year 24)
Rick had a great idea today. He told me how to get the nobles (only the ones that I want) into the arena. He told me that the mayor is allowed to assign which dwarves use what buildings; this includes everything from workshops to levers. So I simply assign one noble to each of the levers in the arena, and set an order for the levers to be pulled repeatedly. Then we pull the lever to release the Titan, and the unsuspecting nobles will meet their end. I'm also going to station Monk in his turret, with his crossbow at his feet (and a quantum stockpile of ammo, food and some drink; so of course it's going to be some time before we can actually hold the arena match.

But by Armok it's going to be entertaining.

Also, there was a skamel harassing a couple of cats; one was killed, and the other was being chased down before Rick saved it.

Shoruke's Log. 16th of Opal. (mid winter)
The nobles are happily yanking on those levers, despite that the match isn't quite set up yet. I figured it would get them out of the way. It also just so happens that since they're way over in the boonies of the fortress, they're less likely to be told what they've got coming. I don't think any of them are smart enough to get suspicious and figure it out, either.

Shoruke's Log. 17th of Opal. (mid winter)
Elfbane found some magnetite while working on The Archives. Which I have to admit is a GREAT place to find a vein of metal, since we're mining the whole area out anyway.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2008, 10:17:19 pm by shoruke »
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 28