Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 28

Author Topic: Angcuggan Okbod: The Red Sands of Doom  (Read 27661 times)

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
  • There's a Prinny in Fire Emblem, dood!?
    • View Profile
Re: Angcuggan Okbod
« Reply #165 on: October 19, 2008, 10:03:43 pm »

Shoruke's Log. 7th of Hematite. (early summer, year 21)
One of Rick's dogs, whose leg was mangled during the last goblin raid, got caught in one of our cage traps. The dog still follows Rick everywhere, but is really slow and keeps falling unconscious due to pain. So it set off one of the gaje traps in the glass hallway. Luckily for it it wasn't one of the stonefall traps, or the weapon trap. Boy oh boy would it be dead if it set off the weapon trap.

Shoruke's Log. 13th of Hematite. (early summer, year 21)
The human diplomat arrived today. He, at least, was polite enough to announce his presence, not like that rude elven diplomat. Remembering the elf, I checked up on him, and he's dead. YAY!

Oh right, this is the royal diplomat who's going to meet with the countess, not me. Wait! Countess, not baroness?

I suppose when we got a large enough population to become countess, her title changed to countess. Anyway, I wonder what the diplomat is going to talk to her about.

Shoruke's Log. 15th of Hematite. (early summer, year 21)
The human trader caravan has come. Time to send a schistload of stuff to the depot.

Shoruke's Log. Supplementary.
I made 15 pages of 'bring item to depot' jobs, and every. Single. One. Was non-dwarven clothing, stolen from their previous owners. Hopefully with 124 dwarves, the hauling will get done reasonably fast. I'm not taking any chances with having to do two rounds of hauling.

Shoruke's Log. 18th of Hematite. (early summer, year 21)
I just got re-elected. Yay. Back to hauling.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2008, 10:25:59 pm by shoruke »
The Unforgotten Beast, Shoruke, has come! A pale-skinned human. It has heterochromatic eyes and moves in an unpredictable manner. Beware its rapier wit!

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: October 19, 2008, 10:35:09 pm »

Shoruke's Log. 21st of Hematite. (early summer, still year 21)
Man, it's taking for EVER to haul all this loot to the depot.

The mechanics are done hooking up the lever to the goblin cages. We're expanding the space around Monk's turret a bit, and I need to make one small change to the foyer, but other than that the fight can begin once we're done trading with the humans.

Work on the outdoorsy indoor farm is slow. Actually, it's nonexistant right now due to excessive hauling.
The Unforgotten Beast, Shoruke, has come! A pale-skinned human. It has heterochromatic eyes and moves in an unpredictable manner. Beware its rapier wit!

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: October 19, 2008, 10:44:43 pm »

Shoruke's Log. 25th of Hematite. (early summer, year 21)
I'm amazed how fast we plowed through that many 'bring item to depot' jobs. I suppose it's because the bad-sized clothing dump is three paces from the depot, so the dedicated haulers could do like five jobs in nothing flat, but still. WHOA. It's already, like, done.

I received a transcript of the meeting between our Countess and the human diplomat. I'll copy it into my journal.

Human Diplomat: "Hi. There's much to discuss."
Human Diplomat: "Nice place."
Human Diplomat: "Bye."
Countess: "...What?"

Work on Monk's turret is going a lot faster than forecasted. Elfbane figured out that it would be logical to channel more than one tile, bugger off, and then do one more later. He did like, 10 tiles at once. It was amazing.

Axe27

• Bay Watcher
  • Put down the crossbow
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: October 19, 2008, 10:56:07 pm »

Keep it up man, I love this thread.

And thus did the dream of dwarven antigravity fade away, not with a massive explosion or a flood of magma, but with a whimper.

I'm going to be depressed all day now.

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: October 19, 2008, 11:01:37 pm »

Shoruke's Log. 26th of Hematite. (early summer, year 21)
(AAAAAAAAUGH I think I have repetitive stress injury...)
After trading with the humans (it's the reverse of usual... we brought way too much stuff to the depot), we have obtained lots of random metal bars, wood, barrels, caged animals I'm about to let out, wood, cloth and leather, some random iron equipment to melt, and a LOT of wood. By GOD they brought a lot of wood. Enough to last our glass production crew until the dwarves come and beyond, most likely. Holy crap.

Shoruke's Log. Later that same day.
The hammerer seems to have died of thirst. Goodness me. He seems to have LOCKED HIMSELF in his room from the outside and dehydrated. To death! All the dwarves in the fortress will mourn the loss of this important noble.

Pfft. HAHAHA!

Someone grudgingly took time out of their 'haul stuff from depot' schedule and hauled his corpse to the community graveyard, and that's it. And there was much rejoicing. Yaaaay. Now we don't have to worry about being bludgeoned to death if we don't meet an impossible to meet demand! Cool!

That is, until we get another one.

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: October 20, 2008, 08:39:10 pm »

Shoruke's Log. After school.
I feel like really shortening this log entry up for some reason.

Rick told me how to mass-designate walls, I subbed two glass windows for walls so I can make doors, I learned that animals and dwarves on break will go to statue gardens which is good, Elfbane channelled out the last tile of the west side of the expansion of Monk's turret and drowned, and I went back in time. Whewf.

Shoruke's Log. 10th of Malachite. (mid summer, year 21)
Rick's injured dog is still alive. It baffles me how something that goes past eight traps every time it goes outside while spasmodically falling unconscious can survive.

Domas the dumbass miner channelled out the last tile of the west side of the expansion of Monk's Turret (which I suppose should be capitalized; I doubt anyone else is going to use it for two years), and definately did not get chucked into the aquifery channel and drown like Elfbane. Wait, what? *checks previous journal entry* Oh. Well, he actually didn't, so that's good. Now they can start channelling the other side!...I think I'm going to utilize another bridge to prevent excessive cave-ins.

The alcohol shortage is over!!!! After trading with the humans, we have had 200 units of drink (we're down to 180 now), and we have enough barrels to make more again. Yaaaaaaay.

I'm partionally done making the trade agreement with the humans; this time, I asked for all the usual stuff, plus any equipment they could conceivably make from metal. We shall buy it next year and melt it down! And then turn it back into equipment, presumably the exact same stuff, but smaller and with less decoration.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2008, 09:13:14 pm by shoruke »

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: October 20, 2008, 10:01:27 pm »

Quoth Rick RFB Oslanes Gintdobar Zas, General.
"Just because lots of people have died doesn't mean you will."

Shoruke's Log. 16th of Malachite. (mid summer, year 21)
The migrants were too nervous to come here again, which is weird. Maybe they heard about the INSANELY high draft rate? Who knows. Rick seems mildly agitated about it (hence the quote), but is still ecstatic; he was depressed by long patrol duty, slept without a proper room, and was attacked by the dead recently, but he ate good food and got to kill stuff.

And that stupid countess made another mandate. Really, it's quite annoying. This mandate is for greaves. "I think we need more greaves around here," she says. "We don't necessarily need anybody to wear them for protection from harm or indecent exposure, but we do need them. And it doesn't matter what kind of material they're made from, or how badly they're made, we just need them."
"Yes, your countessness, you fat trog" I said and left. I don't think she heard me... that or she doesn't understand what 'fat trog' means and thinks it's a compliment.

Shoruke's Log. 19th of Malachite. (mid summer, year 21)
I'm going to (have someone) try to tame those warthogs. I suppose I should have checked if it could be done sooner than this. Oh well. Maybe if they're opposite genders we can breed them?!? Warthog meat for everyone!
« Last Edit: October 20, 2008, 10:09:46 pm by shoruke »

GoldPanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: October 20, 2008, 10:21:54 pm »

Elfbane's Journal:

For some reason, Mayor Shoruke asked me if I ever considered getting swimming lessons. I politely reminded him that we're in the middle of a frigging desert.

Hmm. I do have an idea though... We could dig a little swimming pool and fill it up to a depth of 4. It would have to be on a high-traffic route, so that everyone traveling on that route would be pretty much forced to take a little dip. It would be shallow enough to be safe to non-swimmers, and allow everyone to get a bit of swim training. I don't see dwarves objecting to that. Not at all...

side view:

___                                     ____ -> To dining hall, booze stockpile, whatever
     \__4/7 water goes here__/

(OOC: I've been meaning to test this on my own fortress, but you have 2x more dwarf-power than me right now. Please feel free to try out my design.

This was mostly inspired by Elfbane's trouble with water. :) )

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: October 20, 2008, 10:38:22 pm »

Shoruke's Log. 3rd of Galena. (late summer, year 21)
Elfbane has had an idea, which he believes is good enough to bring to my attention, complete with sketch. It's an idea for a swimming chamber. It will have the double-effective purpose of making our dwarves ever so slightly stronger (from gaining swimming experience... I mean from excercising, yeah) and teaching everyone to swim in the middle of 'a freaking desert'. Apparently he's worried about drowning while he does the next bit of channelling on Monk's Turret... which I suppose is a logical fear, seeing as he has not drowned in the aquifer below it yet but he might.

This idea presents a great challenge. It will be hard, it will require me to research pumps, and requires extensive knowledge of water... which we desert dwellers do not possess.

It's creepy.
It's weird.
Someone's likely to die.
It's not very likely to work.
It'll make everyone's clothes wet.
It's going to be freakishly hard.
The rewards from it are somewhere between nil and nominal.
I'm not gonna lie. It's positively dwarven! Even more so than the tower! Work on this project begins tommorrow.

Now where to put it? I'll figure it out overnight.

I suppose getting everyone (and their clothes) wet will cool us all off from the desert heat. Now I don't have to complain about the frigging heat anymore! Yay!

Rick's Log. Pasted onto Shoruke's.
It'll make everyone's clothes wet, but it'll wash all the mud and blood off...

Shoruke's Log. Supplementary Squared.
It's like the torture chambers practise rooms... but for EVERYONE! Heh heh. I think I need to make a small modification to where the booze stockpile is... and put water between us and it... Ohhh yes, it'll be more unavoidable than death when stuck between Rick and a hard place.

Shoruke (the player not the dwarf)'s Log. Supplementary... CUBED!
I think tomorrow I'll make a picto-tour of the fortress. Rick complained of not having enough pictures of the actual fortress.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2008, 10:56:30 pm by shoruke »

Axe27

• Bay Watcher
  • Put down the crossbow
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: October 21, 2008, 04:53:18 pm »

Have fun regulating it. It's gonna be piss hard....
And thus did the dream of dwarven antigravity fade away, not with a massive explosion or a flood of magma, but with a whimper.

I'm going to be depressed all day now.

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: October 21, 2008, 05:18:13 pm »

Well, let's think about this: if the pool itself takes up 30 tiles, and needs to be 4/7 full in all areas, we could use a reservoir consisting of 18 tiles filled to 7/7 with water, right? So we could just have something like this:
Code: [Select]
            α      |___________|    ☺

The X's are floodgates.

Ideally, if there are any big fish in the water, we could kill them by setting up lever activated green glass spikes in the reservoir.

Qmarx

• Bay Watcher
  • "?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: October 21, 2008, 08:18:44 pm »

Well, let's think about this: if the pool itself takes up 30 tiles, and needs to be 4/7 full in all areas, we could use a reservoir consisting of 18 tiles filled to 7/7 with water, right? So we could just have something like this:
Code: [Select]
            α      |___________|    ☺

The X's are floodgates.

Ideally, if there are any big fish in the water, we could kill them by setting up lever activated green glass spikes in the reservoir.
Remember that you can only drain a pond to 1/7.  Make it a 20 tile reservoir.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2008, 08:20:24 pm by Qmarx »

GoldPanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: October 29, 2008, 07:38:03 pm »

I was just thinking of designating it as a pond and have the dwarves fill it with buckets. But having it fed by canal is definitely more dwarven. :)

R1ck

• Bay Watcher
  • Uninvited Guest
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: October 29, 2008, 08:16:56 pm »

Well, now that the real forums are back(hopefully for good), the ¤Story¤ of Angcuggan Okbod can finally advance.
BTEAMHOB-Year 10 - It's POI'd to the extreme

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: October 29, 2008, 08:40:06 pm »

Okay now I have 22kb of .txt to post... plus a link to the fortress map as it was a while ago. The reason for having so much to post is that I got bored of not being able to play my community fortress (what with the forum down and all) so I decided to play it anyway and record it. This is gonna be some pretty hardcore rapidfire posting.

Shoruke the Forumgoer's Log. 29th of October. (autumn, year 2008).
Frick where's that site... okay found it.

Shoruke's Log. 18th of Galena. (late summer, year 21)
I finally worked up the energy to transcribe doodles of the entire fortress into my journal... except that it wouldn't fit into my journal, so I had to put it onto... another piece of paper... yeah that's it.

http://mkv25.net/dfma/usermaps.php

Production on The Tower is... well, it's going, and that's not SO bad. We are about halfway done the outer layer of the base level (it's going to be two blocks thick everywhere, remember). Once the base level is entirely done, we can set up some marksdwarf patrols.

My plans for this tower are expansive. Since we might just run out of space underground (I'm not willing to expand past the fortress boundaries, even underground) we can have LOTS AND LOTS of stuff in The Tower. I'm thinking of making something like this...

Side view diagram

________
   |____>_\   |
   |    X   |   |
   |    X   |   |
   |    X   |   |
   |    X   |   |
   |____<___________

Legend:
____   floor (or roof)
|   wall
>   down stair
X   up/down stair
<   up stair
\   drawbridge, which retracts to the right
(obviously there's going to be other stuff in the tower as well)

So, we can cart someone we want to kill up to the drawbridge, and use it to fling them off into the distance... to slam into ANOTHER wall, and fall onto a different part of the tower and be crushed by the impact. IT'S POSITIVELY EVIL AND DWARVEN! Except that it involves being aboveground.

THE POINT IS that I think I should make a list of the widgets and gizmos we're going to add onto the tower. HINT I ALSO THINK THAT HINT I SHOULD ASK THE OTHER DWARVES HINT WHAT THEY THINK HINT SHOULD BE ADDED ONTO THE TOWER HINT. [/hint][/hint][/hint][/hint][/hint]

I have also begun the initial phase of operation 'teach everyone to swim because obviously they'll need it', which is to figure out where the hell I'm going to put the pool. There's a stockpile just for empty barrels between the food stockpile and the kitchens; if we just dig through that, then we have access to an undug area which we can use. Obviously, because nobody else lives around here, ESPECIALLY not underground. Not even the scorpions live underground. Just ask Rick.

I'm FINALLY done my meeting with the merchant guild's representative. Because of my benevolent nature, I would frequently interrupt the meeting to go give food to the injured dwarves (there's six of them, by the way; mebzuth the idiot marksdwarf, the new axedwarf guy, one of the renoobcruits, and three guards). The guild representative and I both got tired of us not actually conducting the meeting for more than three seconds at a time, so I locked both of us in my room (I know what you're thinking, and you're wrong) until the meeting was over. Now he's gone, off to present the trade agreement to the merchant's guild.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 28