Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 28

Author Topic: Angcuggan Okbod: The Red Sands of Doom  (Read 27654 times)

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
  • There's a Prinny in Fire Emblem, dood!?
    • View Profile
Re: Angcuggan Okbod
« Reply #135 on: October 07, 2008, 11:51:15 pm »

Shoruke's Log. 9th of Moonstone. (early winter, year 20)
We had our first ever arena match today: Monk vs. five skamels.

It helped me realize a small design flaw with the turret. It needs more open space around it. Apparently a 4x4 open area doesn't give you much shooting distance.

Halfway through the match, the fighting stopped because Monk had toasted the nearby camels, and the other two weren't advancing. So I opened the bridge briefly. This drew the camels towards it (either for something to destroy or for something to attack; Flint was waiting right there), and into Monk's shooting radius. Blam. Dwarves win again! And those camels are off my unit list!

Well they're off the 'living' part of my unit list. Now they're deceased skeletal camels.

Wait... that's gotta make sense somehow, but I don't quite see it.

Next arena match? I think I'll take Dumbass Domas the miner, give him armor, make him keep his pick, and have him go at that goblin and the warthogs. Might be entertaining.

I think I'll even have designated the arena foyer as a statue garden by then. The theory here is that us dwarves can enjoy ALL aspects of dwarven culture on our free time (HAHAHA) all at once: our beautiful craftsmanship in the statues, our sheer ability to produce almost anything in the windows, and our kickassness in the fights.
The Unforgotten Beast, Shoruke, has come! A pale-skinned human. It has heterochromatic eyes and moves in an unpredictable manner. Beware its rapier wit!

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: October 08, 2008, 11:35:25 pm »

Shoruke's Log. 20th of Moonstone. (early winter, year 20) (fourth try... just read to find out)
We almost had a cavein over the arena, but I spotted it in time and rectified it. The turret-space shall be channeled out, one space at a time. Bleh.

The goblins are coming! The goblins are coming! Shouted whoever was gathering bones at a time. Surely enough, when I poked my head out the gate (not very far out, I'm EXTREMELY cave adapted), a vile force of darkness had arrived: MONK WAS NOT DRINKING FOR ONCE! Well, he wasn't, but the force of darkness was actually goblins.

Feh, I thought to myself. It's another bunch of wrestlers, with three macemen and a spearman. But wait! He was actually a spear MASTER. Oh well, Rick could handle him.
Then I realized that there were two other squads, and neither of the others were wrestling squads. Each squad was led by a militant master of some kind.
A three pronged attack? The goblins had planned strategy.
Notice that I used the words "goblins" and "strategy" in the same sentence, relating the two to each other? Suddenly I realized that this whole situation called for extreme measures.

"Nobody goes outside", I ordered. "The military will guard the glass hallway, where we have a chokepoint and the goblins can only come three at a time." Thankfully the goblins had no ranged combatants. "Everyone else, stay the hell away from the gate." And with that, rushed back to the dining hall.

The goblins came. Of course they did. They're too proud to resist a challenge like breaking through a spartan wall of dwarves, and too stupid to realize they hadn't a prayer. The dwarven military (with no help from The Guard... surprise, surprise...) fended the siege off easily. Soon after getting into the gate and being owned in no time flat, the goblins realized they should run. The siege broke, goblins running every which way, metaphorical tails between their physical legs. Some of them made it out of the fortress boundary... Some did not.

Throughout the entire battle, no dwarves sustained any casualties.

Hey cool, more goblins stuff to melt and/or sell.

However, this event has got me thinking. What if the goblins send, say, seven well-trained squads in the next siege? Squads that won't break at the first sign of ownage? And what if some of the squads are marksmen? We need to hurry up and get some severe fortress defenses going here. It's tower time.

...just as soon as we get some decent quantity of wood. Stupid pearlash, takes so much effort to make. We only need six more windows for the arena, then it's on to blocks for the tower. I know it's stupid to put any effort at all into the arena when our defense needs attention, but it's so close to completion, and I really want it out of the way.

Ooh, really fun side note. I suppose I need to elaborate on the current status of our surface defenses first.
North side: defensive channel on northwest, traps center-north, northeast is open
West side: defensive channel, with a bridge over it; bridge has cage and stonefall traps on either side
East side: WIDE OPEN
South side: same as north

The goblin siege squads came from the north, the northwest, and the southeast. The southeast squad was able to get to the fortress without any trouble. The north squad sacrificed some goblins to the stonefall traps, leaving a wide path for the rest. The northwest squad went for the west side and.. well... suffice to say we now own quite a few goblins. Teach you to try and assault the west side of our fortress, idiots!

I will now take opinions as to what we shall do with these goblins. Default is having Monk shoost them to bits from the arena turret when it's complete, but other mean/entertaining/interesting/exemplary ideas are appreciated.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2008, 11:37:49 pm by shoruke »
The Unforgotten Beast, Shoruke, has come! A pale-skinned human. It has heterochromatic eyes and moves in an unpredictable manner. Beware its rapier wit!

Flintus10

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: October 09, 2008, 03:48:03 am »

Well You could build wooden spikes and execute the Goblins by throwing them from 3+ levels high if the terrain permits.  Or a good old fashioned War dog's v Goblin arena match

theevilmonk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: October 09, 2008, 02:56:54 pm »

I only approve the war dogs if i still get to shoot into the fray. and why execute by spikes? this would cause further delays on my tower AND get me no experiance!

R1ck

• Bay Watcher
  • Uninvited Guest
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: October 09, 2008, 04:28:49 pm »

I suggest No weapons, No armour combat in the arena. Me and Monk vs. all the goblins. You just have to dump their stuff and our stuff first.
BTEAMHOB-Year 10 - It's POI'd to the extreme

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: October 09, 2008, 11:27:24 pm »

I suggest that Monk and Rick RFB enter the area through catapult-bridge.

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: October 10, 2008, 10:21:59 pm »

I don't remember saying that.

Qmarx

• Bay Watcher
  • "?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: October 11, 2008, 02:02:48 pm »

Shoruke's Log. Supplementary.
I amend my earlier account of Lambskin's shooting. Her most recent shot went straight down the glass hallway and hit the far wall right in the middle. On its way, it killed an elf, a mule, and a donkey. In that order.

Axe27

• Bay Watcher
  • Put down the crossbow
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: October 12, 2008, 06:13:23 pm »

Hmm...

Well, time for the new recruits to prove themselves. Toss them into the arena against a single (Or Multiple) goblins at a time until you've run out of goblins to kill. If you've gotten the mace lord, use Rick to take him down.

Or, mine out a chamber, build the cages, attach them to levers, fill the chamber with magma, pull the levers, and instantly solve your trash problem.
And thus did the dream of dwarven antigravity fade away, not with a massive explosion or a flood of magma, but with a whimper.

I'm going to be depressed all day now.

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: October 13, 2008, 08:57:25 pm »

So if anyone's wondering why I haven't posted in three whole days {gasp} it's because I was 600km. from my computer, visiting family for thanksgiving. So... much... driving... but the food was good. Happy turkey day!

Nice artwork Qmarx.

Oh yeah, and thanks for the suggestions everyone. Arena match it is, with Rick & Monk vs. gobbies.

Shoruke's Log. 20th of Moonstone. (early winter, year 20)
We have too many craftsdwarves. On the status page of my records, farmers and craftsdwarves are tied at 17 dwarves each. Farmers are usefull. Maybe five, seven tops, craftsdwarves are usefull. Maybe I'll use some of them to fill the holes in The Guard.

I suppose I should include a record of the goblins we have in captivity. So here it is.
-1 spearmaster (!)
-6 wrestlers
-2 lashers
-1 goblin thief, who really should have starved by now... we captured him like two years ago

After polling the dwarves, the general opinion seems to be that we should have our top dwarves (namely Rick and Monk) fight the goblins alone. I think this can be arranged. Some say it would be fun to have Rick and Monk fight them unarmed and unarmored. IMO, I think it serves no purpose to have them drop their weapons, and since I don't know how to remove the goblins' weapons (without killing them first), I'm not willing to have them remove their armor, either. Maybe I'll even make a movie out of it!

Shoruke's Log. 2nd of Opal. (mid winter, year 20)
Oh snap, I forgot to unforbid all the goblin loot. I just did that. Now we have no idlers at all. And I doubt we will have any for a long, long time.

Shoruke's Log. 11th of Opal. (mid winter, year 20)
Because everyone is busy hauling clothes and weapons to stockpiles, body parts are piling up... some inside the glass hallway or the butcher shops... it's getting kinda rank in here. Almost enough to drive a dwarf crazy.

What? I'm not crazy. I just like ballista arrows and towers more than other dwarves.

I'm not crazy. I'm not! Mwehehe.

Seriously, I'm not though.

Armok's Log. Supplementary.
No, he's really not. He's just weird.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2008, 09:08:16 pm by shoruke »

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: October 14, 2008, 08:11:59 pm »

I learned today how to remove the equipment from caged goblins. So now I'm going to do that, and we shall have armed & unarmored fights. Just not today, I have a physics project to do.  >:(

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: October 15, 2008, 08:59:25 pm »

Shoruke's Log. 24th of Opal. (mid winter, year 20)
I learned recently how to remove the weapons and armor from caged goblins. I shall do that before the arena match. And then Rick and Monk will be able to fight the goblins, armed but unarmored!

Hmm... maybe I'll leave the goblins their armor... so that the two dwarves will take more shots at them and get more experience? Makes sense to me.

Today, I realized something TERRIBLE... we had too many clear glass windows! I ordered that the indefinate construction of clear glass windows stop immediately, and that the indefinate construction of clear glass blocks begin. Now we can begin construction on... The Tower. Que cheesy music. Dun... Dun... Duuuunnnnnnnnnnn...

*In the goblin tower*
"The hell you mean, the dwarves stole our arcitchtual idea?"

Shoruke's Log. 4th of Obsidian. (late winter, year 20)
I ordered that the miners should expand the food storage area.

You have struck anhydrite!

And guess how big the anhydrite vein is? ONE WHOLE TILE BIG!
« Last Edit: October 15, 2008, 09:05:19 pm by shoruke »

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: October 15, 2008, 09:07:48 pm »

Shoruke's Log. 5th of Obsidian.
The baroness had a baby! I wonder if it was the baron's baby. So help me, she deserves to be raped.

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: October 15, 2008, 09:53:44 pm »

Shoruke's Log. Hopefully it's not day 1 of winter.
I guess there was a small but very important design flaw in my system to channel out Monk's Turret in the arena. It caused several cave-ins, almost drowned Elfbane, drowned Emperor, knocked out three other miners, drowned Elfbane, and caused me to savescum. The named miners have character shields, so the savescum was pretty much forced.

Shoruke's Log. 20th of Opal.
I have deja vu. It's weird.

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: October 15, 2008, 09:57:09 pm »

You should make a list of all the named dwarves that have died but been saved by scumming. It would be mildly entertaining.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 28