Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 28

Author Topic: Angcuggan Okbod: The Red Sands of Doom  (Read 27626 times)

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
  • There's a Prinny in Fire Emblem, dood!?
    • View Profile
Angcuggan Okbod: The Red Sands of Doom
« on: September 04, 2008, 04:49:17 pm »

This was inspired by Nist Akath

So, like, I'm going to start a fortress in the middle of a burning desert. With a volcano. And it's a terrifying desert.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

So, who wants to join? =D
I changed init.txt to accomodate my playing preferances, and I might do some savescumming, but the games files are otherwise untouched. The changes to the init don't affect the actual game.

You peoples can put your name, profession (the starting seven dwarves will start out completely unskilled... mwehehe), and if you REALLY want to, your gender. I will try my best to accomodate you. Genders allowing, the first six responds will be the starting dwarves... regardless of profession.

Ooh goody this is going to be doomy fun.

P.S. I'm the leader. That means leader, broker, etc.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2008, 08:58:39 pm by shoruke »
The Unforgotten Beast, Shoruke, has come! A pale-skinned human. It has heterochromatic eyes and moves in an unpredictable manner. Beware its rapier wit!

lambskin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Angcuggan Okbod
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2008, 05:01:55 pm »

I'll join! And do you plan to pierce the aquifier throught the side of the volcano?
« Last Edit: September 04, 2008, 09:04:35 pm by lambskin »
STRIKE THE ETC.

PowerGoal45, MEET THE CYBERFIST, (Future): You use your iron geared prosthetic hand to crush a piece of stone in front of the cowering goblin, and it passes out.

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2008, 05:02:50 pm »

Hmm... that could probably work... what profession do you want? And should I just use your username or do you want a different one?
The Unforgotten Beast, Shoruke, has come! A pale-skinned human. It has heterochromatic eyes and moves in an unpredictable manner. Beware its rapier wit!

lambskin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2008, 05:05:37 pm »

I'll be the mechanic/siege engineer. You can just call him (or her) lambskin.
STRIKE THE ETC.

PowerGoal45, MEET THE CYBERFIST, (Future): You use your iron geared prosthetic hand to crush a piece of stone in front of the cowering goblin, and it passes out.

Glacies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2008, 05:21:45 pm »

Glack, yer local woodcutter, applies!

lambskin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2008, 07:24:29 pm »

Wait, is this succession or a community fort?
STRIKE THE ETC.

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2008, 07:26:34 pm »

ummmmmrr...

I believe 'community fort' refers to me playing the fort and telling you guys all about it. So I'll go with that one. And welcome aboard, Glack; only four more dwarves before I'll start.

R1ck

• Bay Watcher
  • Uninvited Guest
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2008, 02:47:27 pm »

I shall be RickRFB, Macedwarf(eventually). Male. The RFB stands for Ready
For battle.
BTEAMHOB-Year 10 - It's POI'd to the extreme

Emperor_Jonathan

• Bay Watcher
  • GET UP SUCKER
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2008, 07:32:39 pm »

Name: Emperor
Make him, a Miner.

GoldPanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2008, 05:53:04 am »

Name: Elfbane
Profession: Miner #2

Strike the Earth!
... oh.
Strike the Sands!

MercDraco

• Bay Watcher
  • Royal Hammerer, Smasher of Stupid Nobles,
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2008, 04:22:43 am »

Noticing what we're lacking pardon me for going abit muti-talented here
points into furance/blacksmith/metalsmith/farmering/stonecraft (2 each)

Name: Dracnor
Profession title: Artisan (i'll build the crap we trade away) (add wpn/arm smithy, wood/bone crafting tasks at start as well please)
Attitude: Hard Worker, hates stupid mandates,

If a Job needs doing that requires some skill Dracnor will probally volenteer...unless he's drinking or sleeping
The Cake...is...a...LIE!!!
The Worlds Best Trap includes a single left footed -Pig Tail- sock.
Madness? This isn't Madness...This is DWARF FORTRESS.

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2008, 08:55:34 pm »

Yay, enough people! Next post is where the actual fortressing starts.  :)

By the way, if anyone comes up with some, you know, "+2 constructy advice of uberness" or something, I could probably use it.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2008, 09:10:57 pm by shoruke »

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2008, 09:10:41 pm »

Shoruke's Log. 2nd of Granite.
I was recently appointed as the leader of an expidition, a grand adventure; it was made my sacred duty to oversee the construction of an outpost. It would be in the very northwesternmost corner of the world, so that if disaster struck and all dwarves must flee their mountainhomes, there is one last safe place for us. I was appointed six dwarves to work under me:
2 miners
1 mechanic
1 woodcutter
1 Macedwarf
1 metalsmith
Plus myself, the manager and leader.
I found it very odd indeed that they would pick me as an expidition leader... after all, I have no management skills, even though I'm confident I could learn them.
It turns out, however, that none of my companions know anything about their trade, either! An obvious oversight by Edzul Kivishvetek, the Queen of the Mountainhomes. Oh well, we'll cope... somehow.
I brought, in our wagon, an anvil, plentiful food, alcohol, and seeds. I also brought some bituminous coal and hematite, so that we may outfit our macedwarf as soon as possible.

We set out to the proposed location of the outpost...
And of course, our wagon broke down. In the middle of an evil desert! Right next to a volcano, filled with fire monsters! ARGH! And there's no wildlife in sight. It's friggin hot here! Geez...
The wheels of the wagon are broken beyond repair, and we have no hope of making new ones. I guess we'll have to strike the earth... sand, whatever... and dig out a shelter so we don't die of exposure. Hopefully, what provisions I have brought will last us until Autumn. We'll have to go back to the mountainhome in failure and restock, I suppose, but at least the 'Northwest Outpost' project can still carry on. Dwarvenkind may need that outpost someday, and I intend to get it built.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2008, 08:36:53 pm by shoruke »

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2008, 09:19:31 pm »

Shoruke's Log. 2nd of Granite.
Well, I suppose I need to familiarize myself with my new fortress mates. It's going to be an astronomically long six months.

Shoruke:
Lambskin:
Glack:
Rick RFB:
Emperor:
Elfbane:
Dracnor:

The last one to join our group barely made the departure time. And he has this thing about iron. I hope it's a GOOD thing...

There's also the one miner. He introduced himself as Emperor. Apparently it's his actual name, not a title.

And the Fighter, Rick... something about him strikes me as odd. Perhaps it's the way he introduced himself. "I am Rick! Ready For Battle!" if he proves himself in combat, and earns another couple names to tag onto the end of that, it's going to be a mouthfull.

Anyways...
I told Dracnor, the iron-crazed one, to contstruct a forge and a smelter. Hopefully the flames won't increase the temperature here much. I have a feeling we'll want Rick to be armed ASAP. Besides, we need that second pick and a battle axe. Wait, why the hell wasn't I given a battleaxe? And Glack didn't have one of his own to bring? This just keeps getting better.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2008, 09:00:44 pm by shoruke »

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2008, 09:38:41 pm »

Shoruke's Log. 3rd of Granite.
Some warthogs arrived today. That's promising. Hopefully they don't rush us or something.
I had to construct all the buildings (wood furnace, smelter, and forge) myself because nobody else was willing to work rock in this fashion. I dearly hope things don't progress this slowly for long; we need to make a shelter, people, come on. The others assured me that, once their chosen tasks were available to be worked on, they would spring to the task with full haste. Then they resumed chatting.

I told Emperor to dig down one layer, and head for the volcano. "The volcano," Lambskin had said, "is our way to get through the aquifer." We happen to know that there is, indeed, an aquifer, because we are dwarves. And dwarves are creatures of the earth; we can feel the water crashing against it in the ground beneath us.
Another reason is that Emperor almost fell into it when I told him to dig straight down until he hit water. The good news is, we know the aquifer is at level 134, and Emperor didn't drown.
It would have been funny if he HAD drowned in the middle of the desert, but not funny enough to offset the loss of our only pick.

Shoruke's Log. 10th of Granite.
Those fire imps are getting just a LITTLE (okay, quite a lot) close for my comfort. I hope they leave us alone, Dracnor hasn't even started turning our hematite into iron yet, let alone furnished rick with suitable equipment.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2008, 11:41:40 pm by shoruke »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 28