Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: My hunter was abandoned  (Read 1505 times)

grukobok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
My hunter was abandoned
« on: September 03, 2008, 08:25:24 pm »

I started with a hunter and for several years he was a good man. Then one day he got injured a good distance from the fortress. His upper arm was red - what kind of injury is that? He stayed in the same place for several years through many winters. Someone must have brought him a bucket of water because there was a bucket next to him. Then he got dehydrated and hungry. He eventually found himself wandering about near the river until he died of starvation.

Also, he was romantically involved with someone who was shattered when she heard the news about what happened. She found a nice dark, quiet place and stood there indeffinately. I felt horrible about it.

My question is why didn't the dwarfs working in my fortress try to help him? Why didn't they notice that he had been gone for too long, and then sent out a rescue party in reply? The least they could have done was to find him and bring him back safely. If this feature isn't available in the current build, is it planned?
« Last Edit: September 03, 2008, 08:31:56 pm by grukobok »

Quiller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: My hunter was abandoned
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2008, 08:42:37 pm »

I believe there is a job for helping an injured dwarf come back to the fortress, but I imagine that either a) nobody was doing it because there wasn't a bed available for him, or b) that he was so far off that when someone got that job assigned they'd break it off to get food or a drink or go to sleep before they got to him.  My best guesses anyways.

RyanW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2008, 08:42:59 pm »

Red wounds are "mangled."

Did he still have hunting enabled?  I believe dwarves with the hunting task sleep under the stars, not sure if that would have any effect on getting a wounded dwarf to a bed.
You went the wrong way Old King Urist

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2008, 10:14:42 pm »

Did he still have hunting enabled?  I believe dwarves with the hunting task sleep under the stars, not sure if that would have any effect on getting a wounded dwarf to a bed.
Prbably does.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2008, 02:46:11 am »

Hi!

No, hunters are normally recovered and brought to a bed.

However, I had a similar case. A legendary weaver turned hunter got mauled by a cougar. I noticed the situation because another dwarf cancelled the "Recover Wounded" job because of the cougar - so they definitely wanted to retrieve the hunter! But after using the dwarf to finish off the cougar (it was badly hurt as well), no new recover wounded job was spawned, even though I tried drafting/undrafting, made sure there were free beds in the barracks and health care enabled idle dwarves.

Finally, I did find a solution by building a little hut (just walls around 1 tile with a door in one side, a roof above it, and a bed in that single tile inside) near the hunter and making the bed the hunter's private bed room. Actually, since the dwarf was still moving around, I hoped she would at least crawl there herself, but after the room was finished, another dwarf recovered her and brought her to bed.

I suppose the designated bed room did the job.

Deathworks

grukobok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2008, 03:17:38 am »

Hi!

No, hunters are normally recovered and brought to a bed.

However, I had a similar case. A legendary weaver turned hunter got mauled by a cougar. I noticed the situation because another dwarf cancelled the "Recover Wounded" job because of the cougar - so they definitely wanted to retrieve the hunter! But after using the dwarf to finish off the cougar (it was badly hurt as well), no new recover wounded job was spawned, even though I tried drafting/undrafting, made sure there were free beds in the barracks and health care enabled idle dwarves.

Finally, I did find a solution by building a little hut (just walls around 1 tile with a door in one side, a roof above it, and a bed in that single tile inside) near the hunter and making the bed the hunter's private bed room. Actually, since the dwarf was still moving around, I hoped she would at least crawl there herself, but after the room was finished, another dwarf recovered her and brought her to bed.

I suppose the designated bed room did the job.

Deathworks

I don't remember seeing that job. Is it listed in the labor setttings for the dwarf? I do remember seeing something like "healthcare" in there somewhere.

Btw.. Everyone, thank you for your prompt replies!

grukobok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2008, 03:20:00 am »

If it's mangled, it'll never heal up? And why didn't he bleed to death? Would this affect his job performance? What should I have done in the case that he had survived, but had a permanent injury to his upper arm?

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2008, 03:48:34 am »

Hi!

Red wounds on dwarves will heal eventually, but they will take a lot of time (after a long rest, they will become yellow wounds, which are also bad and only later become minor wounds).

Amputations (dark grey, I think) will never heal and cause serious trouble for the dwarf (phantom pain causing them to fall unconscious from time to time for the rest of their lives). Serious wounds to the nervous system will also never heal.

The job a dwarf has enabled is called "Healthcare", but when you check what the dwarf is doing, it will list "Recover wounded", "Give Water", or "Give Food" depending on what the dwarf is actually doing.

All dwarves have "Healthcare" activated as a default (even peasants), so if you never deactivated it, any idle dwarf should have it enabled.

As for permanently injured dwarves, it depends on how you wish to play. A lot of players seem to consider the inhabitants of their fortresses as playthings and will simply kill off any plaything that is no longer fun.

If you do want to go about it more positively, first you need to watch whether the dwarf falls unconscious from time to time (very probable). If that is the case and you have traps in your fortress (weapon traps, stonefall traps, cage traps), I recommend you deactivate all hauling jobs for that dwarf and give him jobs that do not have him walk through trapped areas (keep in mind that he will also walk to any meeting areas, dining rooms, and barracks/private bed room he may be using). Jobs that finish quickly are preferable, of course, as unconsciousness would otherwise interrupt them (so, unless the dwarf is very strong or a really experienced smith or stone crafter, metal smithing or stone crafting are not really recommended as hauling the material for the job would take too long).

If you have such a dwarf, you may also need to turn off "All dwarves harvest" in the options if harvesting (going to the fields and then bringing the fruits to the food stockpiles) were to cause the dwarf to walk through traps.

Deathworks

RebelZhouYuWu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2008, 05:28:21 am »

If your dwarf is constantly going in and out of conscious that may be a problem I think, becuase if a dwarf has a red injury yet is able to walk back to a bed by himself he will do it without help, I think dwarves only carry someone to bed if they are unconscious.

Teeto_K

• Bay Watcher
  • Deforesting Woodland Biomes
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2008, 06:26:29 am »

About the hunter and the assigned room: If he migrated to your fortress with Hunting enabled as a labor, likely he'd never ever even claimed a room for himself.

I've noticed recently that my dwarves all seem to ignore "hospital beds" when wounded, greatly preferring their own.
Refar Wrote:
They have not mastered the art of safe fishing, safe drinking of booze, safe [you name it]... Why would someone think they mastered safe sex?

How I dorf:
http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-3901-thecitadelofartifice

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2008, 09:16:27 pm »

I've noticed recently that my dwarves all seem to ignore "hospital beds" when wounded, greatly preferring their own.

This makes sense. Wouldn't you prefer your own bed to a hospital bed, assuming you get an equal level of health care in both?

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2008, 09:47:51 am »

Hello!

Actually, in my current fortress, only my nobles have rooms at the moment as I am busy preparing my defenses and work on the nobles' rooms (Hammerer and Tax Collector still don't have any rooms and the baron's wife doesn't have a tomb yet).

The unconscious/conscious thing does not seem a likely explanation:

Originally, a recover job is spawned.
This job is cancelled because of a cougar.
The cougar is taken care of by the dwarf who tried to recover the wounded very quickly after the notification.
Many months pass and no new recover job is spawned.
A bed room is created and shortly thereafter, a new recover job is spawned.

In the meantime, I had another injured dwarf (probably slept on a trap and was lucky) who got recovered immediately, even though he didn't have a private room. But I think that dwarf was not hunting at the time. So, I think that hunting has something to do with this.

Deathworks

MathijsBuster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2008, 10:31:55 am »

Hello!

Actually, in my current fortress, only my nobles have rooms at the moment as I am busy preparing my defenses and work on the nobles' rooms (Hammerer and Tax Collector still don't have any rooms and the baron's wife doesn't have a tomb yet).

The unconscious/conscious thing does not seem a likely explanation:

Originally, a recover job is spawned.
This job is cancelled because of a cougar.
The cougar is taken care of by the dwarf who tried to recover the wounded very quickly after the notification.
Many months pass and no new recover job is spawned.
A bed room is created and shortly thereafter, a new recover job is spawned.

In the meantime, I had another injured dwarf (probably slept on a trap and was lucky) who got recovered immediately, even though he didn't have a private room. But I think that dwarf was not hunting at the time. So, I think that hunting has something to do with this.

Deathworks

Did the dwarf that got recovered in the meanwhile take up the last unassigned bed per chance?
Meaning a bed that isn't a barrack, room or whatever.

I believe only those beds are listed as hospital beds.
Whatever the case, there's mostly a logical explanation if dwarves don't carry wounded away, even if it isn't always the most obvious.

All my wounded dwarves were always hauled to safety, whatever the case, only sometimes I had to puzzle for a bit to get them to do it (tiny easily-overlooked reasons stopping them).
And sometimes they just take some time to do it (especially if they have other important jobs).
Dwarves: Death from Below!

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2008, 09:11:48 pm »

Hunters do get recovered just like any other dwarf, but they usually get hurt further away and/or have other problems between the rescuer and the hunter.  If that job gets canceled, a new one won't be regenerated unless the hunter gains his own room in the meantime.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2008, 04:20:38 am »

Hi!

MathijsBuster: In that fortress, there are only beds in the barracks and beds in the bed rooms of nobles. Otherwise, there are no built beds, so all injured dwarves I had rested in the barracks - except for that legendary weaver and another dwarf I had to leave to die as I didn't have the resources to take care of him before the next ambush came.

Jaybud4: Mmmhhh, that describes exactly the situation I was confronted with. I wish there was at least some other way to trigger a new recovery job (like for instance drafting). I mean, once the economy kicks in, any non-legendary/non-noble dwarf with an interrupted recovery job is basically doomed.

Deathworks