Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: The Discovery of the Magma Pipe!  (Read 1503 times)

Axe27

• Bay Watcher
  • Put down the crossbow
    • View Profile
The Discovery of the Magma Pipe!
« on: September 03, 2008, 05:28:02 pm »

Now. I've just stumbled upon the magma pipe, for which I was hunting after much exploratory mining at my bottom Z-level.

Now, the question is, Anything I should know about before I begin building the magma workshops and relocating my ore stockpiles?
And thus did the dream of dwarven antigravity fade away, not with a massive explosion or a flood of magma, but with a whimper.

I'm going to be depressed all day now.

MathijsBuster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Discovery of the Magma Pipe!
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2008, 05:30:57 pm »

Fire Imps.
They kill and burn and make dwarves dead.
Dwarves: Death from Below!

Axe27

• Bay Watcher
  • Put down the crossbow
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2008, 05:53:45 pm »

Alright, I'll take that into consideration as I build my lever control room, stockpiles, and workshops.
And thus did the dream of dwarven antigravity fade away, not with a massive explosion or a flood of magma, but with a whimper.

Axe27

• Bay Watcher
  • Put down the crossbow
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2008, 05:57:24 pm »

Question: Can steel made bars stop magma men and imps from venturing out their fiery hell?

Aggiedog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2008, 06:09:31 pm »

Question: Can steel made bars stop magma men and imps from venturing out their fiery hell?

If you are thinking a channel with a grate in it, then yes it will.

Skanky

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm building a wagon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2008, 06:22:05 pm »

Fortifications will do the same thing, and has the advantage of not needing magma-safe material.
"Quickly now, the goblins are more devious these days." - Captain Mayday

Inquisitor Saturn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2008, 06:24:14 pm »

What I always do is this: I'll dig out a pipe(not a channel) for the magma to flow through. When I one sufficiently long, I'll wall it off from the staircase and dig a tunnel above it to release the stuff, and wall THAT off. When I want to make a magma workshop, I'll channel a single hole, over which an impassible workshop tile will sit. This will prevent all intrusion without having to worry about grates or bars.

Axe27

• Bay Watcher
  • Put down the crossbow
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2008, 06:28:45 pm »

I guess you guys shoulda warned me about the dangers of heating.

My miner breached the magma pipe, and ended up vaporizing. So, the magma workshop goes directly above it, so I've already filled a room with magma.

Decimator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2008, 06:37:46 pm »

What did you expect to happen when 2000 degree magma got acquainted with a dwarf?  :P
Quote from: Duke 2.0
Urist McMood: Must have... Glass!
 Kogan McHauler: We were able to get a few pieces from some encrusted trinkets. Hopefully, thats al-Oh CRAP we don't have any fuel!
 Urist McMood: That won't be a problem...
 *Starts bending metal with his bare hands*

Axe27

• Bay Watcher
  • Put down the crossbow
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2008, 06:40:28 pm »

How do I avoid having to sacrifice Urist Mcminerman everytime I need to create a new magma room?

Skizelo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2008, 06:44:19 pm »

Most dwarves can run fast enough, especially if they have only one path (so wall off any dug out ore-veins, and make sure to design it that way). Don't wall it off until after they've escaped?

Mirefrost00

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2008, 06:46:21 pm »

Channel from one floor above.

Lalandrathon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2008, 06:57:20 pm »

What I usually do is dig up next to the pipe (but not breach it), stick some bars at the end, then channel it in from above via a different passage, and then floor it over. Never had an imp problem, though if they happen to escape while you're trying to floor over the gap made by the channel it may be trouble.

Also, iron or platinum bars will also work, if I recall.

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2008, 07:13:33 pm »

What I always do is this: I'll dig out a pipe(not a channel) for the magma to flow through. When I one sufficiently long, I'll wall it off from the staircase and dig a tunnel above it to release the stuff, and wall THAT off. When I want to make a magma workshop, I'll channel a single hole, over which an impassible workshop tile will sit. This will prevent all intrusion without having to worry about grates or bars.

I do that without making the channel...just find a z-level that' a lot smaller than the one below it, make a few carefully selected holes and bam! Problem-free magma.

Also, fire imps aren't very dangerous in my experience except for the nasty tendency for dwarves fighting them to jump in the magma. Fire Men on the other hand, will eat you for dinner...be careful of those fuckers.
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

JoRo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2008, 07:19:39 pm »

I do this, more-or-less, and I've only had a problem once where my metalsmith was really slow getting the forge into place and a magma man crawled out of the pipe and hugged a couple dwarves to death.
You have been struck down.
The giant cave spider spits out your head.
Pages: [1] 2