Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Assign the rooms to the Noble positions  (Read 5684 times)

Klokjammer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Assign the rooms to the Noble positions
« on: September 03, 2008, 05:25:48 pm »

I posted a suggestion like this last November, but its been almost a year and still nothing.  So here it is again.

Original post:
If you replace a noble with another dwarf, you need to reassign the office and other rooms to the new noble.  An prime example would be the Mayor, you can't control who becomes mayor and by this time he should have an office and private dining.  When a new mayor gets elected, the old mayor should automatically move out of the mayor's manor and clear out his desk at the office so the new one can move in.

A solution:  when [a]ssigning rooms, there should be a sub menu with "Individual [d]warves" and "[n]oble positions", where the later option gives a list of current available positions as seen on the [n]oble/administrators menu.

Addition to original post:
If a Dwarf holds more than one Administrator job, i.e. Broker/Manager, they get two offices/bedrooms/dining rooms or the player can just one as you don't really need to give him another set, the holdings of one position can meet the requirements of the other.  But in the instance of multiple holdings, he could pick the best one or just use the nearest one and relish in the fact that he has two houses.

More foreseeable problems:
After the economy kicks in, the old mayor or other appointees will still have his stuff in the rooms and I know how dwarves are so reluctant to pick up after themselves and so they may leave their stuff in other people's rooms and... well that's dwarven capitalism for you.
Code: [Select]
g  <-  This is a goat
g  <-  This is a goblin mason
g  <-  This is a gremlin covered in white paint

Does everyone understand the difference now?

Skid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Assign the rooms to the Noble positions
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2008, 06:32:26 pm »

And if you bump off an annoying noble, the next jerk in line will assign themselves directly to your deathtrap of a bedroom as well.

I like it.
Playing a cheesemaker in an average Fortress 'round here would be. Freaking. Terrifying.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2008, 06:50:51 pm »

And if you bump off an annoying noble, the next jerk in line will assign themselves directly to your deathtrap of a bedroom as well.

I like it.

Well, more for the Mayor, who gets re-elected (or not) without control of the player, yet the player needs to go in and change the room assignments.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2008, 06:55:46 pm »

It would help stave off unhappy Mayors that way. I've had a few get grumpy because I didn't notice the change in leadership for a while.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Buugipopuu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2008, 08:28:09 pm »

I support.  It has real-world precedent as well.  10 Downing Street is reserved for the Prime Minister and his family, for example.

Skizelo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2008, 08:56:21 pm »

Would completely eliminate a (small) annoyance, so I support it!

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2008, 12:33:58 am »

I support.  It has real-world precedent as well.  10 Downing Street is reserved for the Prime Minister and his family, for example.
Or how the White House in Washington D.C. is reserved for the president of the U.S.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Klokjammer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2008, 03:01:56 pm »

This has been added to the development page as Req562.  I don't know if that means anything, but at least Toady is acknowledging this.
Code: [Select]
g  <-  This is a goat
g  <-  This is a goblin mason
g  <-  This is a gremlin covered in white paint

Does everyone understand the difference now?

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2008, 05:30:40 pm »

Interesting idea. I like it, assigning offices, bedrooms, and dining rooms to positions rather than individuals.

However it might have implications for the broker/book keeper/organizer, who is often the same dwarf filling 3 positions at once.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2008, 06:34:38 pm »

However it might have implications for the broker/book keeper/organizer, who is often the same dwarf filling 3 positions at once.
On that note, a random nerve firing: make dwarves that have multiple positions increase their requirements. The broker/bookkeeper/organizer has to do a lot more administrative work than a mere broker, full stop, does; thus, he needs a better-equipped office. A straightforward way to handle this is to make the room requirements additive - if a dwarf has three positions that each require a meagre office, then he might require a fine office. If two of his positions need 1 weapons rack, then he needs two weapons racks. And so on. This makes sense when you assume that the requirements are not just quid pro quo "I'm doing a job, so I want to be rewarded for it," but instead "I need this stuff in order to do my job."

Then, while we're at it, make it so if you don't fulfill their requirements, they work more slowly in addition to getting annoyed.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2008, 06:58:53 pm »

since the qualities increase geometric (something like poor = 10 , mediocre = 100, great = 1000), adding the room requirements is actually a really good idea.  It would just take a nicer office, but not an extra level per job.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2008, 07:31:25 pm »

since the qualities increase geometric (something like poor = 10 , mediocre = 100, great = 1000), adding the room requirements is actually a really good idea.  It would just take a nicer office, but not an extra level per job.
That's exponential growth. 10 to the first power = 10, 10 to the second power = 100.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2008, 07:34:20 pm »

That's exponential growth. 10 to the first power = 10, 10 to the second power = 100.
In the case of a discrete domain of definition with equal intervals it is also called geometric growth

isitanos

• Bay Watcher
  • Seasonal river flood nostalgic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2012, 03:11:01 am »

I got this idea and was gonna create a new thread, but I see it's been suggested already. Rooms/offices assigned to positions would save a lot of hassles... a dwarf could be the owner of several rooms, etc, if he occupies several positions.

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2012, 03:23:33 am »

I, for one, would velcome position-based offices instead of personal ones.
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.
Pages: [1] 2 3