Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [40a]Needs pure coal  (Read 619 times)

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
[40a]Needs pure coal
« on: September 03, 2008, 11:09:24 am »

So, I finally traded for an anvil and build a metalsmith's forge.

I've been making charcoal before to smelt the iron ores I mined out earlier. Worked fine.

When I plopped down the metalsmith's forge, suddenly the charcoal is not enough.

So what's going on? I need to start making crossbows and enlist an army of soap makers.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Proteus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [40a]Needs pure coal
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2008, 11:22:11 am »

And you´re sure that you still have charcoal in stock (and not used everything up for the smelting of the iron ores), I assume

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2008, 12:02:13 pm »

Sorry, it meant refined coal.

And yes I am sure I have charcoal in my stocks. I checked. I even smelted a crapton of it.

The fort is abandoned now anyway. I made a well and everybody decided to drown in it. All 34 of my citizens.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Ryo

• Bay Watcher
  • Store item in stockpile
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2008, 12:37:52 pm »

And that's how nature restores the delicate balance of the universe. Drowning dwarves.

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2008, 12:49:52 pm »

It's amazing.

My leader drowned for NO REASON AT ALL! He just walked to take a drink in the brook, and suddenly he drowns.

The fort plays follow the leader and jumps in the channel.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2008, 04:12:12 pm »

So, I finally traded for an anvil and build a metalsmith's forge.

I've been making charcoal before to smelt the iron ores I mined out earlier. Worked fine.

When I plopped down the metalsmith's forge, suddenly the charcoal is not enough.

So what's going on? I need to start making crossbows and enlist an army of soap makers.
You plopped it down and blocked the entryway, most likely.  Was the room 3x3?
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Noble Digger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2008, 06:08:26 pm »

There is no way for any of the metalwork-related buildings to block the door of a 3x3 room. Smelters and Furnaces have a single tile of collision at the top and forges have two on the left and right of the 3x3 block. You'd be able to get in diagonally even in the worst case.

Possible explanations: Did you build a magma forge by mistake (magma forges don't work unless they have magma in a channel underneath one of the 8 outer squares of the 3x3)?  Do you have someone declared as a Weaponsmith to make your crossbows (Bowyers make wooden and bone crossbows at the bowyer's shop, weaponsmiths make metal ones)? Is that person dead\injured\trapped\busy doing other crap? Are any of the relevant materials forbidden or locked behind doors or otherwise inaccessible?

There is only one kind of charcoal, it can just have different names: regardless if it's make from wood, lignite, or bituminous coal, they're all just BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:COAL:XXXX where XXXX is either COAL or CHARCOAL (and the game doesn't care which you use, ever, in either smelting, smithing, or reactions).
quib·ble
1. To evade the truth or importance of an issue by raising trivial distinctions and objections.
2. To find fault or criticize for petty reasons; cavil.