Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: cant seem to gather non economic stone  (Read 1155 times)

foenix phyre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
cant seem to gather non economic stone
« on: September 03, 2008, 02:44:57 am »

Hi I just started a new dwarf fortress  I cant seem to get any stone  The walls of my fortress are white and yellow sand.  But when i try to build something in the mason workshop it says i need non economic stone   can anyone help?  thanks
Success is counted sweetest / By those who ne'er succeed / To comprehend a nectar / Requires sorest need / Not all of the purple host / Who took the flag today / Can tell the definition / So clear, of victory, / As he, defeated, dying / On whose forbidden ear / The distant strains of triumph / Break, agonized and clear

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
Re: cant seem to gather non economic stone
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2008, 03:15:28 am »

Hi!

Sand, clay and loam are not stone layers, so you will not get any stone from them.

In order to get stone, you need to dig deeper until you get a level with regular stone.

Deathworks

foenix phyre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2008, 03:23:16 am »

ah   thanks    Great game by the way    amazing detail
Success is counted sweetest / By those who ne'er succeed / To comprehend a nectar / Requires sorest need / Not all of the purple host / Who took the flag today / Can tell the definition / So clear, of victory, / As he, defeated, dying / On whose forbidden ear / The distant strains of triumph / Break, agonized and clear

Doppel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2008, 01:49:12 pm »

Huh, it seems to me that you need to enable "economic stone" (meaning, making it "non economic") by going into the "z" menu and "stone" and enabling the particular stone you have (and want to make stuff out of, meaning, it would probably be best not to enable for example bauxite yet seeing that its the only stone to make mechanisms out of which can withstand magma, thus you don't want to "waste" them on making cabinets).
"Economic stone"s means that they can't be used except for what their "purpose" is.
Did you by chance mod every stone to be economic? Many people do that because then its more easy to control which stones get used in the masonry for example because normally you can't enable/disable bauxite to be economic/non economic.

(i suck at explaining stuff)
« Last Edit: September 03, 2008, 01:51:10 pm by Doppel »
Doppel has been ecstatic lately. He took joy in playing DF lately. He slept on a rough cave keyboard recently.
He is a member of the Dwarf Fortress Forums.
Doppel likes the color Dark Blue, cats for their aloofness and girls for their silky soft brea beards.
He appreciates art and natural beauty.

Skizelo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2008, 02:20:29 pm »

Doppel, non-economic stone is default enabled; if he only had hematite, then he could enable that to build his workshops, but that's not really his problem.
foenix phyre, you'll know when you hit stone when it starts to leave behind boulders (I can't be bothered to dig up the ASCII symbol, but they're round and of various colours. Unless you've picked a really tricky map, just should start mining it eventually.