Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: The best squad name I've ever seen  (Read 1511 times)

Vaftrudner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The best squad name I've ever seen
« on: September 02, 2008, 05:47:32 pm »

Some people would say that this is not enough for a new topic. I, however, have the following argument:

I rest my case.

lambskin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The best squad name I've ever seen
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2008, 06:38:17 pm »

Do you have a map of that fortress?
STRIKE THE ETC.

PowerGoal45, MEET THE CYBERFIST, (Future): You use your iron geared prosthetic hand to crush a piece of stone in front of the cowering goblin, and it passes out.

Vaftrudner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2008, 06:54:38 pm »

Err I could make one, but mostly it's just a mess of rooms dug according to need, not with any architecture in mind, and it contains quite a few spoilers..

Wild Goose

• Bay Watcher
  • My Avatar Has Something Green. Yay solidarity!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2008, 06:57:58 pm »

I think one of my better ones was "The Inky Forever-Soldiers".
"Adventurer's Motto; Take everything not nailed down and nail down whoever tries to stop you."

"Whatever happens, we have got the ballista and they have not."

The dwarven economy is just a stand-in, from what I understand. As it is, it represents an actual economic system about as well as poison ivy represents a salad.

Skizelo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2008, 08:40:11 pm »

Err I could make one, but mostly it's just a mess of rooms dug according to need, not with any architecture in mind, and it contains quite a few spoilers..
Is that & sign in the top left one of them?

And am I the only one who digs out rooms, rather than creating a cavern filled with workshops? Just wait till cave-ins are reinstated, then you'll see.

JoRo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2008, 09:04:56 pm »

My current fort has but a single squad so far, with a leader chosen simply to get the name "The Spattered Gates."
You have been struck down.
The giant cave spider spits out your head.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2008, 09:17:06 pm »

I dig out little alcoves for my workshops, Skizelo. Though they're all open on one side to the main corridor.

Also, I have a squad name that beats all of yours:
"The Rough Beards"

Jing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2008, 09:22:07 pm »

Personally I prefer squad names like "The Boots of Naming" etc... Semi-ridiculous, yet plausible squad names...

But if this is what you are looking for, I suggest strolling through the Legends->Civilizations records.  You'll get some really odd instances:

in 61, The Creepy Incests of The Monster of Cavities constructed the Unthinkable Towers in Plankmonster.

in 174, The Girlish Council accepted an offer of peace from The Creepy Incest

>.>

Vaftrudner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2008, 09:24:37 pm »

Is that & sign in the top left one of them?

And am I the only one who digs out rooms, rather than creating a cavern filled with workshops? Just wait till cave-ins are reinstated, then you'll see.
Haha, I completely forgot about that. I'm so used to seeing it. Some bug or other made it so that it never rots, and no dwarf will ever touch it. Or if it's a feature, I don't know. But I'm guessing that an innocent little & in a screenshot isn't a spoiler - anyone who recognizes it knows already.

And I never played the 2D version. Reinstating cave-ins? I'll cross that bridge when I get there ;)

Wild Goose

• Bay Watcher
  • My Avatar Has Something Green. Yay solidarity!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2008, 09:51:57 pm »

Eh, I used to, but yeah, now I just make a cavern full of workshops.

Though, with mine, it's usually because I've dug a massive cavern around a volcano's mouth, then capped over the roof, so that it all counts as inside.
"Adventurer's Motto; Take everything not nailed down and nail down whoever tries to stop you."

"Whatever happens, we have got the ballista and they have not."

The dwarven economy is just a stand-in, from what I understand. As it is, it represents an actual economic system about as well as poison ivy represents a salad.

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2008, 10:09:29 pm »

I usually do the gigantic hall of workshops - I like the idea of a massive cavern cluttered with dwarves hard at work making lots of industrial noise.

I do tend to make separate rooms for various workshops types once I have a lot of them though.
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

khanjackalmoreau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2008, 01:48:35 am »

My current fortress's military is lead by a pair of artifact-wielding champions who operate as "The Rough Drinkers".

The next most senior squad is less impressive.  "The Tin Posts"

A_Fey_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2008, 01:57:42 am »

Quote from: DoctrZombie
-9th of Opal

Today during my normal administrative rounds, I stopped by the barracks to check on the status of our hardened warriors. Each of our recruits is progressing well, although they could do with some better equipment. I did however learn the name of the all female squad that has been training since the beginning. You can't make this shit up.

I may have made a grave error when assigning five women to spar together.

Probably one of the funniest squad names ever. It is from the Zirilzuntir community fortress.

Glacies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2008, 02:44:56 am »

My dwarf had "The labours of love" as his squad name in the gaming steve forum succesoin game.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2008, 03:57:41 am »

I think Toady will make cave ins an init file thing and have it switched off by default. makes a lot if sense.
Pages: [1] 2