Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Achievements  (Read 4097 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Achievements
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2008, 10:38:08 pm »

In a way we already have a small archievement system in the game.

Namely the city turning from a small village to a metropolis or the arrival of the baron/ess which rises in rank as your fortress gets more powerful.

The engravements (which were mentiond) can also count as an archievement system, but maybe this would be something that could be expanded and, for example, include the things that you list in your thread as archievements, like the building of a high tower or other building, or more heroic battles (for example a lone crossbowman going out and fighting against a large group of enemies, killing some of them and thus breaking a siege).

I have no problem with the game recognising the great things you do the way it does so already... (For the Fortresses and the Adventurers) in fact that is probably the best way and I wish it to continue and expands.

However what I am kinda against is this:

I load up the newest version of Dwarf Fortress and start up a new Fortress... I Embark with my calm and calculated objects and then once I get there I tell my dwarves to start digging into the earth...

"!!!YOU GOT THE "DIGGING INTO THE EARTH" BADGE!!!"

Now if while playing... I made a fortress and gone down 100 floors... and during Adventure mode people will speak about the fortress and speak about how it went down 100 floors... And if it is mentioned in Legends... If it appears in engravings... Heck I don't mind if it tells you in the game that your fortress has done a legendary action of going down 100 floors (and says so every set floors after that). However once you go down 101 floors it should be that you went down 101 floors not that you went down 100 floors.

I am all confused now...

As for playing with a Handicap... I suggested long ago that there should be "Scenario" play but an Achievement system would never replace such.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2008, 10:51:58 pm by Neonivek »

Vaiolis

• Bay Watcher
  • I Am Penguin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2008, 10:49:31 pm »

- Hydrolic Catapult - have an enemy stand on a floor grate connected to a gigantic cystern of water, have said cystern start the flow, and have said enemy be blown at least 5 z-levels high :D

nah, I don't think that is actually possible, I can't even remember the water physics that were described some time ago in a topic, but still, if DF had achievements, there would be just so many possibilities! There are tons of ways the capabilities of DF could be turned into utterly hilarious events to strive for! Achievements shouldn't have rewards, IMO, but the achievements themselves should be thought about, whether in-game, or maybe as a weekly forum competition... A new crazy-tastic goal is put out to the public every week or few days or something, the first to release a video of it being accomplished wins, or maybe the person who accomplishes it the best wins (Hydraulic Catapult - person with the enemy flying the highest for example). Could have the first to 3 points win, or maybe the highest score after 5 weeks, I don't know, but could be fun, even if not implemented into DF...

- Handicap - have a unit with a yellow or greater injury defeat a megabeast without any aid by others
 - Sacrifice - kill five or more enemies at once by dropping them simultaneously into magma/chasm
 - Blind Warrior - have a unit with no eyes defeat an enemy using a ranged weapon without aid

Hehe, good luck with the last one  ;D

Would anyone be interested in such a competition? Could be a fun little game to play... but then again I don't really know, just suggesting hehe.
Today's Toady Tip: 3 and 4 are not the same number.
How borgly is your borgle's borgle?
The Minister of BEEEES! and of The Great Charter for the Toady Protectorate!

Othob Rithol

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Dark Snathi, Rain & Tom Bombadil
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2008, 10:51:47 pm »

No personal offense to the OP (I am actually happy to meet a new DF player, and hope you enjoy the game. Feel free to PM me with any questions that aren't answered by the wiki or the questions forum), but........

Ack...the console fed horde of the new generation want gratification. Instant Gratification, brought to you by Xbox Live!

Achievements are lame.

Ooo I get a +1 toothpick because I noticed the pink jackass (the animal, not the ...never mind).
Hey look: the game says I'm cool because I did something not stupid! Woohoo.
I am so awesome, I just killed my one billionth goblin!
Wow, I got a sticker because I'm special.

Sarcasm aside, everything good you can get out of an "Achievement System" you can get out of two REAL additions to the game (both of which are planned):

A tutorial system of some sort. New players need help and guidance.
Full integration of what you do in game into the Legends System.

CanadianWolverine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2008, 10:56:45 pm »

However what I am kinda against is this:

I load up the newest version of Dwarf Fortress and start up a new Fortress... I Embark with my calm and calculated objects and then once I get there I tell my dwarves to start digging into the earth...

"!!!YOU GOT THE "DIGGING INTO THE EARTH" BADGE!!!"

Ahh... I hear ya Neonivek, that would be annoying. You already have felt that accomplishment of making it past a new player understanding where I am at with past versions - it would be this situation where you would be like "Yeah, yeah, I know, my dwarves rule, rah rah rah *rolls eyes* Good lord, how many more times do I have to see that message?!" You already have your ultimate designs in mind, what should you care about the basics that you already just do automaticly anyways?

Sorry about that, here, lets throw in a caveat, a lil' clause to this idea:
- This idea, Historical Achievements, only really works when near to version 1 anyways.

I get it, we are all kinda play testers right now, we can't fully comprehend the feature set until we get our hands on it and try to break it any way we can. Did you know the majority of the achievements for a lot of games come from quality testing? "Hey, here are the mundane every day tasks of the game, what if a player tries this? What happens then?" I wouldn't want a game built around the notion of just being a way to get achievements, but rather achievements as a sort of sign pointing in the direction of some gameplay highlights, those moments that have us going "Whoa! That was so cool, first I ever saw a dwarf do that!"

I hope I tried to recognize that the list of possible goals for a beginner is much more different then those who are veteran players as yourself.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2008, 11:01:05 pm »

If you want new players to get a grip on the game... a better what that should be focused on is a Tutorial mode or a Tutorial

Heck... if a Tutorial mode activated the pointless achievements Id have no problem with it.

In fact in Spore which has Achievements... if you skip Tutorials they just give you all the related achievements for it.

On that subject... maybe I should make a Dwarf Fortress Tutorial video... hmmm

Tamren

• Bay Watcher
  • Two dreams away
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2008, 11:13:50 pm »

We had an achievement thread in the general forum I think. You should dig it up, some of them were very funny.
Fear not the insane man. For who are you to say he does not percieve the true reality?

CanadianWolverine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2008, 11:14:53 pm »

No personal offense to the OP (I am actually happy to meet a new DF player, and hope you enjoy the game. Feel free to PM me with any questions that aren't answered by the wiki or the questions forum), but........

Ack...the console fed horde of the new generation want gratification. Instant Gratification, brought to you by Xbox Live!

Achievements are lame.

Ooo I get a +1 toothpick because I noticed the pink jackass (the animal, not the ...never mind).

Sarcasm aside, everything good you can get out of an "Achievement System" you can get out of two REAL additions to the game (both of which are planned):

Oh my! Good thing I am not a console gamer, huh?  :) What evils these things must have perpetrated that they take a fun system of reward and twist it to come off as all degrees of lame! To be honest, the use of achievements in TF2 to unlock stuff irks me to no end as well - with the medic, then pyro, and now recently heavy classes having updates, when medic first came out, it pretty much ruined the game for me, only new maps kept me interested for a short while but the game became imbalanced IMHO. Now with the heavy out, it does seem to be self correcting to a degree (as in, I don't see the entire server full of heavies even when it was initially released).

How else can I put this ... you know in NetHack where you see that screen with what they have written on your tomb stone? That is all I really want from achievements, the game acknowledging your mile stones (or tombstones), those moments in a game that you measure your progress towards all kinds of zany fun.

That's cool, its nice to see the issue is a misnomer by way of other plans. And I am not terribly concerned with its implementation, I was just trying to describe in terms I was familiar with the process I am discovering Dwarf Fortress with by way of the Wiki and various threads in these forums. Currently, those are my Historical Achievement lists, I am just wishing I could pull them up in the game, I suppose :D

- Hydrolic Catapult - have an enemy stand on a floor grate connected to a gigantic cystern of water, have said cystern start the flow, and have said enemy be blown at least 5 z-levels high :D

nah, I don't think that is actually possible, I can't even remember the water physics that were described some time ago in a topic, but still, if DF had achievements, there would be just so many possibilities! There are tons of ways the capabilities of DF could be turned into utterly hilarious events to strive for! Achievements shouldn't have rewards, IMO, but the achievements themselves should be thought about, whether in-game, or maybe as a weekly forum competition... A new crazy-tastic goal is put out to the public every week or few days or something, the first to release a video of it being accomplished wins, or maybe the person who accomplishes it the best wins (Hydraulic Catapult - person with the enemy flying the highest for example). Could have the first to 3 points win, or maybe the highest score after 5 weeks, I don't know, but could be fun, even if not implemented into DF...

- Handicap - have a unit with a yellow or greater injury defeat a megabeast without any aid by others
 - Sacrifice - kill five or more enemies at once by dropping them simultaneously into magma/chasm
 - Blind Warrior - have a unit with no eyes defeat an enemy using a ranged weapon without aid

Hehe, good luck with the last one  ;D

Would anyone be interested in such a competition? Could be a fun little game to play... but then again I don't really know, just suggesting hehe.

;D Those Historical Achievements sound so sweet! I hope I see some video too! :D

We had an achievement thread in the general forum I think. You should dig it up, some of them were very funny.

Oh cool! I will go try to find that right now :D Just search the word, right?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2008, 11:17:04 pm »

Achievements are lame.

Did I ever say that I love you? ACK WHAT AM I SAYING!?!

Lapse of sanity aside... I agree with you so much... that I think you broke my brain

neoquietus

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2008, 11:36:50 pm »

Ohh my goodness... I hate you all!

Why does everything need Achievements? Yes sure it was a tad fun at first until you learned that not only is the bulk of the achievements superfluous, uttarly stupid, pointless, gridingly timewasting... GAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

Alright... Since I obviously can't fight the Achievement system the demons established in the 360  <snip>

Does anyone other then me dislike how popular Achievements have become to the point where people beg and pine for Achievements in all videogames and consoles?

Just to nitpick, achievements have been around a lot longer than the 360.  Old games like X-Wing and TIE-Fighter had them as well.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2008, 11:42:51 pm »

Just to nitpick, achievements have been around a lot longer than the 360.  Old games like X-Wing and TIE-Fighter had them as well.

However the 360 popularised it and largely turned it stupid as well.

The same is with WoW... It isn't the first MMORPG... it is just the one that made MMORPGs popular. (However the problems with that are another story... but to sum up: "While WoW isn't a bad game. Unfortunately its success is so large that its faults and even limitations are now being considered part of the Staple MMORPG to the point where in the end as popular as WoW has made MMORPGs it is in effect harmed the whole genre for years to come")

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2008, 03:10:41 am »

Achievements are lame.

To be honest, the use of achievements in TF2 to unlock stuff irks me to no end as well - with the medic, then pyro, and now recently heavy classes having updates, when medic first came out, it pretty much ruined the game for me, only new maps kept me interested for a short while but the game became imbalanced IMHO. Now with the heavy out, it does seem to be self correcting to a degree (as in, I don't see the entire server full of heavies even when it was initially released).

I hated the Medic and Pyro ones because some of them were outright laughable.  Burn a spy when he flicks a cigarette?  That'll never ever happen in normal play.

The heavy ones though, those actually led me back to the heavy and made me realize what I'd been missing by playing other classes.  There are almost no "never achievable during normal play" achievements for the heavy, sure, some are a little long term, but they aren't impossible.  I got 21 just by playing.  No I don't feel super special or anything, but I think they actually made me a better player (firing 1000 bullets without dying is hard, but if you can do that every life, then you're doing something right).

On the other hand, ran into this bitch (medic) who wouldn't take advice on how to keep the heavy she was ubering alive longer because "[she] might die and lose [HLStats] points!"  Oh my ****ing god.  Oh my god, points, lose 30 points (of 14,312), whatever shall she do?

She told me I was a moronic noob because I thought I knew how to play the game and only had 7,700 HLStats points, had the audacity to tell her how to play the game, and she'd never once seen me before on that server (or any other, but the stats points are local to the one server).  Mind I'd logged in 4 hours prior with 6400 points, that was a good day for me (a week prior I'd been hovering around 5200 points, never rising, never falling, just gaining back losses and losing gains--then I climbed 200 points in a day, then 400, then 600).

Achievements are stupid in general, but some I approve of.  If they make a player play the game better then the achievements are good, if the encourage the player to cheat "just to have them" then they're bad.

Medic made me cheat.  Pyro made me cheat.  Heavy made me better (and god, I love the sandwich).

Joseph Miles

• Bay Watcher
  • DF isn't a game, its a way of life!
    • View Profile
    • http://bugger92.proboards91.com/
« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2008, 04:58:52 am »

Actually, this thread I started awhile back would be perfect for some of the legendary achievements.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2008, 05:19:14 am by Joseph Miles »
Cog - He's the new Urist.
Yes they are a bunch of drunken unstable retards, but they're MY drunken unstable retards, and I will take care of them.
It could be worse, that cat could be alive.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2008, 05:10:12 am »

Actually, this thread I started awhile back would be perfect for some of the legendary achievements.

DON'T put quote marks around the URL like you would with the <a> tag, it buggers up the whole system.

Joseph Miles

• Bay Watcher
  • DF isn't a game, its a way of life!
    • View Profile
    • http://bugger92.proboards91.com/
« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2008, 05:19:30 am »

Er, sorry. Habit from another site that requires it.
Cog - He's the new Urist.
Yes they are a bunch of drunken unstable retards, but they're MY drunken unstable retards, and I will take care of them.
It could be worse, that cat could be alive.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2008, 05:36:43 am »

Er, sorry. Habit from another site that requires it.

Happens, it's just like the third time I've seen it here and it's a slight annoyance to fix on my end, but so much simpler if people would check to make sure their links work (and edit if they don't).  I make sure with mine (at least most of the time, I have buggered up on occasion, usually missing a letter on the name of the file).
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5