Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Speeding up dwarf  (Read 1371 times)

Angellus

Speeding up dwarf
« on: September 02, 2008, 03:59:02 pm »

So I opened Creature_standard.txt, the problem is, the only speed I can find is SWIM_SPEED, but no normal speed, should this be added?
Also; Do I need to start a new world to make the changes take affect?
thirth (and final) Q. = How do I let my 'sacrificed' (trown down the pit) kittens leave behind adamantine bones/bars? (like a giant Adamantine pinata ^^)

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
Re: Speeding up dwarf
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2008, 04:02:10 pm »

First of all, creatures without the [SPEED:x] tag will use the default speed, 1000 I think. So long as you only modify existing entries, no regenerations will be needed. The third part is an annoying roll with ITEMCORPSE which I can't be bothered to explain.
[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

Angellus

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2008, 04:03:25 pm »

First of all, creatures without the [SPEED:x] tag will use the default speed, 1000 I think. So long as you only modify existing entries, no regenerations will be needed. The third part is an annoying roll with ITEMCORPSE which I can't be bothered to explain.
Thanks for the quick response,

So I should add the tag? Will that make me reboot my world?

EDIT: Added the tag, did not make me restart.
If anyone could explain the kitten problem I would be very gratefull :)
« Last Edit: September 02, 2008, 04:05:55 pm by Angellus »

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2008, 04:26:22 pm »

I'm tempted to put this in my sig, as this is maybe the 50th time I've had to say this exact phrase:
Adding or deleting entire entities (dwarfs, cinnabar, high boots) requires a new generation.
Changing parts of entities ([SPEED:1], etc) does not.

As for your speed tag, lower is faster.  1 = Teleportation with a suitable amount of Agility.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Kidiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2008, 04:27:21 pm »

[ITEMCORPSE:STONE:NO_SUBTYPE:STONE:RAW_ADAMANTINE] will make your animals drop raw adamantine rocks, if I'm correct.
Veni, Vidi, Pompeii.
Soylent Green is kittens!
Sometimes, when my Dorfs are exceptionally stupid again, I wonder what exactly the [INTELLIGENT]-tag does.

Angellus

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2008, 04:29:55 pm »

@Jaybud: I found that out, thought that adding new tags made me make a new gen.

@ kidiri: Thanks, trying it out as soon as I can shut DF down again, which might take a while ;)

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2008, 04:31:15 pm »

[ITEMCORPSE:STONE:NO_SUBTYPE:STONE:RAW_ADAMANTINE] will make your animals drop raw adamantine rocks, if I'm correct.
Absolutely.  But, and this has nothing to do with what you said, having them drop stuff that is not raw material, while it will work if you add the quality tag, is not a good way to go about it.  I suggest, rather than doing that, having them drop the raw material, as you mentioned, and just training up legendaries to make your masterwork adamantine bolts.  Masterwork items have their creator listed in the description.  If you're playing a succession fort, people will know you cheated if you have masterworks without a creator listed.  Of course, if you have adamantine without the obvious adamantine in the ground, they'll know anyway...
It's all a matter of opinion, really.  Having legendaries is just a better way to go for all intents and purposes though.

Angellus

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2008, 04:41:36 pm »

Absolutely.  But, and this has nothing to do with what you said, having them drop stuff that is not raw material, while it will work if you add the quality tag, is not a good way to go about it.  I suggest, rather than doing that, having them drop the raw material, as you mentioned, and just training up legendaries to make your masterwork adamantine bolts.  Masterwork items have their creator listed in the description.  If you're playing a succession fort, people will know you cheated if you have masterworks without a creator listed.  Of course, if you have adamantine without the obvious adamantine in the ground, they'll know anyway...
It's all a matter of opinion, really.  Having legendaries is just a better way to go for all intents and purposes though.
I dont really play succesion forts, I just want to make two all-destroying marksdwarf towers fueled by kitten remains, is that so wrong? ^^

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2008, 07:05:02 pm »

Just for the record, default speed is 900, not 1000.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2008, 07:07:10 pm »

I dont really play succesion forts, I just want to make two all-destroying marksdwarf towers fueled by kitten remains, is that so wrong? ^^
No, but doing it incorrectly is.

IndonesiaWarMinister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2008, 07:39:08 pm »

Something new to learn every day.

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2008, 12:49:52 am »

For further explanation...

The SPEED stat determines how many turns a creature must wait between actions.  Every action consumes one turn plus SPEED/100.  Fractional turns are random.  SPEED:25 will make the creature wait an extra turn between actions, but only 25% of the time.

The creature's current status (hungry, prone, etc) seems to add to SPEED.  A hungry SPEED:0 creature doesn't seem to be notably faster than a hungry SPEED:100 creature.  Agility cuts SPEED and status effects by up to half, IIRC.  So if the creature is not in perfect condition, agility starts to dominate the speed formula.

Also, speed listed in Adventure mode is not the same as the creature's SPEED stat.  It uses some wonky formula to come up with that number.

That's my understanding, anyway.  Check the wiki page to be sure.