Author Topic: Cats  (Read 4794 times)

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones
Re: Cats
« Reply #45 on: September 07, 2008, 09:54:40 pm »

Well, personally, I always do bring cats along with me to my forts (I bring a breeding pair and no more). Of course I always end up with five or ten cats as pets sooner or later, but I keep it under control by just slaughtering kittens as soon as they're born. I've never had the 'catsplosion' problem.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 07, 2008, 10:09:31 pm »

So why is it that more people don't simply trade their extraneous pets, as suggested before?

I've always seen players act like the only viable options are 1) catsplosion, 2) wanton slaughter of cats. If you can just hawk them to the nearest caravan, what's the big deal?
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones
« Reply #47 on: September 07, 2008, 10:34:31 pm »

So why is it that more people don't simply trade their extraneous pets, as suggested before?

I've always seen players act like the only viable options are 1) catsplosion, 2) wanton slaughter of cats. If you can just hawk them to the nearest caravan, what's the big deal?

You can't cage or sell pets.

nordo

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think so, Urist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 08, 2008, 12:17:02 am »

The final solution. 

Deduk and Nimen are going to be awfully upset in a moment.  I probably shouldn't have locked them up together...

« Last Edit: September 08, 2008, 12:37:07 am by nordo »
Prepared monarch butterfly brain.

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 08, 2008, 08:40:06 am »

]I'm not sure about this but I thought (exotic pet) tagged vermin is snakcked upon without a second thought but stuff like rats withouth the tag not being considered exotic food are only eaten by specific rat meat loving dwarves?

I know for a fact that dwarve will happily gobble up any captured vermin, rats, roaches, heck even fish if you capture live fish. (Ironblood's beard! I wanted to make an aquarium!  >:()
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.

cbfog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 08, 2008, 09:25:36 am »

Yeah, you can't sell pets, but you can sell them if you manage to cage them before they adopt anyone. As far as selling the cage, I usually build it right next to a one tile animal stockpile designation, and build it near the dwarf's bedrooms because they get a happy thought from looking at it. Then, when the caravan comes you deconstruct it and let it be put in the stockpile and then you can sell it.

nordo

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think so, Urist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 08, 2008, 12:25:57 pm »

Oh god, the horror, the mewling, it will never leave my thou- hey wow this is a great dining room!
Prepared monarch butterfly brain.

Steely Glint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 08, 2008, 04:42:56 pm »

I wouldn't have a problem with cats if I could set a cap on the population of each animal type, and any newborn animals over that number would automatically be butchered.

Also, I think pets should only get a first name unless they're earned another one by getting a significant kill.

cbfog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 08, 2008, 04:46:57 pm »

I've been selling my cages but I was wondering if I could huck one in a drowning chamber and kill all the critters in it while they were still imprisoned... I tried to do it but my map had almost no water and the drowning chamber only ended up being 2/7 full, which I don't think is adequate to drown things.

Phoenyx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 08, 2008, 05:40:35 pm »

I wouldn't have a problem with cats if I could set a cap on the population of each animal type, and any newborn animals over that number would automatically be butchered.

I was thinking about this sort of slider scale on every auto-task, but I have been having problems finding time to write it up. Basically set points where auto-features would kick in. (Only weave thread if there is more then 4, only brew plump helmets until you have thirty, then you can cook them. Cook spawn only after you have 20.)

It's alot more complex then that, but this basic idea could be carried through every profession that could run on it's own. (Always keep 10 bags of sand?) Plus, it can be disabled for those that like to micro-manage everything.

When in danger or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 09, 2008, 04:21:12 am »

Hi Cbfog!

As far as I know, cages are kind of a pocket dimension right now, as far as game physics are concerned. I remember reading that drowning simply will not work on any caged creature.

Deathworks

cbfog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 09, 2008, 04:43:00 am »

Well at least traders see some value in a cage stuffed with cats, thank god for that

Mohreb el Yasim

• Bay Watcher
  • ♫♪♫♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 09, 2008, 04:59:25 am »

Hi!

I let 2 adults cats roam the fort and cram all the rest into a cage. This way they do not adopt or pathfind. And it's like a catfridgerator. You just set one free and then slaughter it whenever you need some leather or bones.

And if you dont need any of this, you can still sell cages full of cats to caravans for a decent price. I once had a single cage with probably 25 kittens and several random mules and puppies that went for around 3,000 turtles.

This is probably a really stupid question, but how do you assign tamed animals to a cage and *then* sell it? The only way I see to assign animals to a cage is one that's built, and you can't sell items built as buildings, so how does it work, exactly?
Well, that is exactly how you do it:

* Build the cage
* Assign the animal to the cage
* Wait until the animal is actually placed inside the cage
* Deconstruct the cage
i am not sure but i think they let them out when deconstructing ... or at least it seemed me so (however this was with some untemad animals)
Mohreb el Yasim

GENERATION 24:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experime

John Johnston

• Bay Watcher
  • Unrescuable aspie.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 09, 2008, 05:00:29 am »

Hi Cbfog!

As far as I know, cages are kind of a pocket dimension right now, as far as game physics are concerned. I remember reading that drowning simply will not work on any caged creature.

Deathworks

They're very peculiar.  IME, injuries and health states like drowning are not processed at all while a creature is in a cage, except for dwarfs, who do definitely suffer the effects of hunger and dehydration.  I'm not sure whether a dwarf in a cage which was thrown into a river would drown, or whether one immersed in magma would burn.  It's a possibility but difficult to test.

(edit)  Do we know if cats burn if dropped in a magma-proof cage into magma?
« Last Edit: September 09, 2008, 06:59:08 am by John Johnston »
Oh
God it's been a lovely day
Everything's been going my way
I had so much fun today
And I'm on fire

catpaw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 09, 2008, 08:24:13 am »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5