Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: problems with animals dying of old age.  (Read 598 times)

King Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
problems with animals dying of old age.
« on: September 02, 2008, 10:28:19 am »

If something does of old age, the dwarves don't seem to want to have anything to do with it, aside from dumping it in a refuse heap. stray horse (tame) isn't butcherable for instance, and dead pets aren't moved into coffins, yet named animals that died in battle are. The same sort of thing happens with animals that aren't killed by a dwarf. Something killed by a goblin invader isn't butcherable, even if it was one of your livestock and destined for the chop anyway.

Proteus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: problems with animals dying of old age.
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2008, 11:12:18 am »

Only named pets are placed into coffins as only they are owned by a dwarf. As for them being placed in a refuse bin, dunno if this is a bug or feature, obviously the game assumes, at least for your own animals, that their meat isn´t good enough for onsumption anymore if they´re killed in battle. 
« Last Edit: September 02, 2008, 11:16:28 am by Proteus »

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2008, 01:01:50 pm »

[BUTCHERABLE] animals can be butchered after they're killed (goblin or natural causes).  [BUTCHERABLE_NONSTANDARD] can't.

King Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2008, 01:03:21 pm »

Might not have made it obvious, but when I said pets, I meant named, owned animals. There's a tomb with plenty of free coffins that have been set to allow animals and there are plenty of dwarves with all the hauling skills enabled idle, the poor cats just been dumped in a refuse heap and left. As to Draco18's reply, the animals killed were all basic farm animals. Horses, cows, mules, donkies. Nothing exotic.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2008, 01:06:46 pm »

Have you looked at the creature files lately? BUTCHERABLE and BUTCHERABLE_NONSTANDARD are no longer in the raws. They were replaced by [ETHIC:EAT_SAPIENT_OTHER:] and[ETHIC:EAT_SAPIENT_KILL:] in the entity files.

If you set both of those to acceptable you could probably butcher anything, even goblins. I'm not sure if it would allow you to butcher old age deaths, though.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2008, 01:41:28 pm »

Have you looked at the creature files lately? BUTCHERABLE and BUTCHERABLE_NONSTANDARD are no longer in the raws.

No.  I never take a peek inside them, actually.

And what about unicorns?  Those where [BUTCHERABLE_NONSTANDARD] but not sapient.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2008, 01:58:31 pm »

You could probably butcher them now, I haven't tried.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

axus

• Bay Watcher
  • Axe Murderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2008, 04:27:32 pm »

I think I've also noticed a lack of pet burials in 40c.  This is when they die in a fight, mine never live long enough to die of natural causes ;p  I'm almost sure some of the dead were named, and I turn on pet burial for some coffins.