Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Artifact metalsmith  (Read 1470 times)

Oldin

• Bay Watcher
  • I Lost the game.
    • View Profile
Artifact metalsmith
« on: September 02, 2008, 07:49:20 am »

All right, a Novice Weaponsmith/Metal Crafter/Metalsmith has just entered a fey mood. He went and grabbed 3 bars of Aluminum and some cut tsavorites. This promises to be a very valuable artifact indeed. However, I am wondering which one of his professions he is creating the item with. Weaponsmith or Metalsmith would be obviously much more useful. I would kind of be miffed if it ended up being an Aluminum Mug with spikes and bands of Aluminum and a picture of a dwarf in flames in Tsavorites. Even if it would be awesome. :D So is there any way to tell which one of his professions he is using before he actually has finished the item?

This is a Aluminum bracelet. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is studded with Aluminum and encircled with bands of Aluminum. This object menaces with spikes of Tsavorite. On the item is an image of a Aluminum bracelet in Aluminum.
That's what he eventually came up with. Worth 228000 dwarf kopeks. Not bad for the first artifact of the fort, but I still wish he'd made a cabinet instead. Wonder if he could have made a crossbow...
« Last Edit: September 02, 2008, 07:58:22 am by Oldin »

betamax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Artifact metalsmith
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2008, 08:21:42 am »

dwarf kopeks.
;D

As it's a bracelet, it'd most likely be metalcrafting that he got. Oh well, better luck next time I suppose

Proteus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2008, 08:35:57 am »

Usually you just have to look at the profession the dwarves have as it is usually the skill needed for their profession that gets a boost.

There are only few exceptions, people involved in butchering animals or cleaning fish for example usually become legendary bonecarvers (well, I got 5 Leg. Bonecarvers in my current fortress, one was a former Lye maker, and 2 of them fish cleaners)
« Last Edit: September 02, 2008, 09:44:21 am by Proteus »

Caiburn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2008, 09:10:01 am »

If you don't care about cheating a bit (and installing some software to do it), you can use DwarfCompanion. It shows you what kind of skill and items a mood includes - you just have to doubleclick on the dwarf's name in a list. (You can actually even change the items needed for the mood to "any stone" or the like in case you just don't have any cave lobster shells around.)

You can find it on the Wiki.

--Cai
Quote from: Abyss
Dwarf Fortress is the Crysis of the ASCII world.

Dasqoot

• Bay Watcher
  • He-wenching for the cause.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2008, 04:41:22 pm »

Legendary metal crafters can be awesome. Yeah, you lose out on a cool weapon or armor piece once, but everytime you 'make golden crafts', you'll get between 1 and 3 masterwork gold items that are worth 3600 a piece, the superior ones worth 1500. So you can make enough stuff to clean out a caravan of all the steel you can want in just a few in-game seconds.

Krash

• Bay Watcher
  • The one and only
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2008, 06:56:18 pm »

Legendary metal crafters can be awesome. Yeah, you lose out on a cool weapon or armor piece once, but everytime you 'make golden crafts', you'll get between 1 and 3 masterwork gold items that are worth 3600 a piece, the superior ones worth 1500. So you can make enough stuff to clean out a caravan of all the steel you can want in just a few in-game seconds.

You can do the same thing with plain old cave spider silk crafts or rock crafts too

EDIT:  Maybe not in a few seconds, but does it really matter?
MyLittlePonyBuiltMyHotRod, this is your first warning. I would like to direct you to read our forum's FAQ and posting guidelines before posting again. Specifically we don't use swear words here, and your picture of Stalin riding a Year3 Limited Edition Starflower inside a German concentration camp was both upsetting and historically inaccurate.

Vaftrudner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2008, 07:21:47 pm »

You can do the same thing with plain old cave spider silk crafts or rock crafts too

EDIT:  Maybe not in a few seconds, but does it really matter?
Depending on whether you want 5 or 50 finished goods bins, it does matter a lot. And I've never had a fortress where a bit of exploratory mining didn't bring me gold/aluminium/platinum in abundance ;)

Skizelo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2008, 08:25:05 pm »

You've clearly never embarked on a glacier.

personjerry

• Bay Watcher
  • Big Towers = Fun Fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2008, 05:19:58 pm »

Actually if you save before the artifact is finished and reload each time you don't get the right item, you can 'choose' which artifact you get. You still can only get items appropriate from that workshop though.
SPOILER ALERT
Build a Trade Depot anywhere on the map.  now hold Shift+D (Depot access display) while viewing a Z-level that has been completely untouched by miners.  All 'normal' stone areas will have big red D's all over them.  Any area with *any* sort of site feature will be blank (no D's). 

motorbitch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2008, 05:29:19 pm »

meanwhile a moody dwarf will say that he needs steal now, but he will still just request raw gems if he needs a special one...
also, often the dwarf request shells, but isnt pleased with my shells.
i think this is strongly frustrating, so i use companion to be able to set it to random gems in these cases.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2008, 11:50:54 pm »

Or you can just farm a few sweet pods and cook meals worth 20 000+ dwarf bucks

I was able to clear the very first caravan sent to me and it was loaded with armor decorated with aluminum

Rafal99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2008, 10:19:20 am »

In my recent fortress i have 4 legendary stonecrafters (2 from moods and 2 trained). They were pumping stone crafts faster than the other 100+ dwarves could store them in stockpiles, even when their workshops got horribly cluttered. I stopped their jobs after 2 years, and it took another 2 years to move all the crafts to stockpile near depot. Since then i bought every caravan that came to my fortress and in 5 years i managed to sell only about 1/3 of the crafts, while selling almost nothing else.    
« Last Edit: September 04, 2008, 10:21:29 am by Rafal99 »
The spinning Tantrum Spiral strikes The Fortress in the meeting hall!
It explodes in gore!
The Fortress has been struck down.

John Johnston

• Bay Watcher
  • Unrescuable aspie.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2008, 10:48:15 am »

Personally, I found the most lucrative route to be sewing silk images onto narrow goblin gear.  It has the added bonus that the items you sew onto are then considered as having been "made in your fortress" so can be used as offerings if you want.
Oh
God it's been a lovely day
Everything's been going my way
I had so much fun today
And I'm on fire

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2008, 12:12:41 pm »

Or you can just farm a few sweet pods and cook meals worth 20 000+ dwarf bucks

I was able to clear the very first caravan sent to me and it was loaded with armor decorated with aluminum
I already have an image of a dwarf michael winner.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.