Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Pandemic 2  (Read 10388 times)

Tahin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Pandemic 2
« Reply #30 on: September 06, 2008, 02:11:40 am »

Heh. This game loses its charm after failing a few times. One time I started in Madagascar, and it closed down before I managed to get out! QWERYUIOPASDFYHJKLZXCVBNM!

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 06, 2008, 12:04:12 pm »

Okay, I'm testing something.   I've got a parasite making its way around, and I have only purchased one mutation.  Moisture resistance I.

The infection rate is higher than the rate of parasite removal, so it will eventually spread.  I want to keep infection rates very very low, so that nobody panics.  If I can get them settled in a few important locations before things start shutting down, I should be able to get footholds in all the countries before the parasite can be locked out.

I just want a few scattered here and there at first.  Only after getting a few settled in will I up the infection rates in order to take over the rest of the country.

I've just got it sitting there on fastest speed.  I'm waiting to see what happens.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 06, 2008, 12:09:45 pm »

I tried that. Unless they patched it with a new version recently, what would happen is that it starts out alright but once your infected number reaches a certain point, everybody panics again.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 06, 2008, 12:15:02 pm »

Damn.  I'd put all my points into infection, but it's a bit of a long shot from Mexico to Madagascar.

Aw, bugger it.  I'm taking Cuba.  The rest of the world can lock down, I'm taking Cuba.  All points into infection.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 07, 2008, 07:44:32 am »

Well, high infection rates on a parasite can actually work well, since parasites have a very low profile. I once managed to get every country infected, including the isles, but excluding peru...  >:(

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 07, 2008, 08:20:47 am »

I managed to hit everything except Madagascar with my little parasite.  I then punished the world with vomiting and dementia until they all died of liver failure.

All except for Madagascar.  They get to inherit the earth.

Gantolandon

• Bay Watcher
  • He has a fertile imagination.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 07, 2008, 09:58:05 am »

Ships in this game are broken. They are not only too slow, compared to planes, but also completely ineffective. When a country shuts down the airports, it does not stop the planes in mid-air from reaching it. When it shuts down the shipyards... well, ships have to find another place to stay. To add insult to injury, it seems to have to be exactly so much ships on the map - the more shipyards are open, the less chance they have to spawn in an infected country and hit cursed Madagascar.

The problem doesn't get solved when you start there... You can spend two months observing the country going red and waiting for one fucking ship. And when it leaves the only harbor in the country, it begins cruise around the world, which lasts another month. Until then, almost everybody in Madagascar suspiciously doesn't display any symptoms of disease, so it's nigh impossible to invade another country without the others shutting their airports, harbors and sealing their borders with impenetrable force fields which reach the stratosphere...

It is could be a really good game, if they haven't murdered it with inept transport and mass paranoia...

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 07, 2008, 10:30:07 am »

I had a ship in one game that was aimlessly sailing around the Atlantic for several months because there weren't any open shipyards left.  It was just running around in circles while Cuba and Madagascar laughed at the dying world around them.

I have no idea if that ship was infected or clean.

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 07, 2008, 12:24:36 pm »

Grenland(my starting place) just shut down public transports because there are 3!!! people with fever.
Edit: Madagascar just activated their stasis field as well.
Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 07, 2008, 05:33:30 pm »

mass paranoia...

Welcome to the human race, you're not from around here, are you?
Shoes...

Gantolandon

• Bay Watcher
  • He has a fertile imagination.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 08, 2008, 06:42:18 am »

Welcome to the human race, you're not from around here, are you?

Point taken.

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
  • Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 08, 2008, 09:54:36 am »

The problem is pandemic one went entirely the other way, you could remove all symptons and let the virus spread to the whole world and only then make it deadly, which killed off the whole world pretty quickly
Oh yeah baby, you know you like it.  Now stop crying and get in my lungs.
Boil your penis. I'm convinced that's how it happened.
My HoM.

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 08, 2008, 11:18:51 am »

The problem in p2 is that nearly all subcontinents initiate a full scale lockdown including desinfected bottled water, oxygen tanks and the complete eradication of all insects and small mammals whenever one country apparently finds out that about ~1500 people are infected with a parasite that does absolutely nothing. Also, people pre-emptively take drugs for the offchance they get infected by said harmless creature that is supposed to be undetectable but still gets sniffed out by governments all performing extensive daily medical checks on their entire population. And it takes less then an hour after mutation to figure out that it now spreads by water, warn everybody and distribute bottled water to everybody in all of siberia.

The game is extensively luck based. If you haven't got atleast 1 person infected in every country before the stasis barriers kick in, you loose.

Skyrage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 08, 2008, 03:06:45 pm »

It's completely luck based. I played this a while ago and despite the funfactor it has major flaws.

1: Ships

2: Government actions being instantaneous once deployed

3: Madagascar obviously

4: Infection spread will ONLY occur once an infected country has a fixed percentage infected. This is probably the second biggest flaw - first one being Madagascar and ships. Keeping the infective rate down to a minimum obviously helps but no matter what, infections will never occur until you have X percent of the population infected.

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 09, 2008, 12:20:26 pm »

4: Infection spread will ONLY occur once an infected country has a fixed percentage infected. This is probably the second biggest flaw - first one being Madagascar and ships. Keeping the infective rate down to a minimum obviously helps but no matter what, infections will never occur until you have X percent of the population infected.

And if you start in a big place, the global lockdown starts before you hit that number. Greenland ftw.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4