Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Pandemic 2  (Read 10385 times)

Mr. Boh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Pandemic 2
« on: September 02, 2008, 12:51:19 am »

A free browser based strategy game where the objective is to infect and kill the world's population. Choose from a virus, bacteria, or parasite, and mutate it in order to spread and kill more effectively. The mechanics are simple but it's good for a fair amount of replay. Games sometimes take ages and it often boils down to luck, but I'm enjoying it a lot so far.

http://www.crazymonkeygames.com/Pandemic-2.html

Brendan

• Bay Watcher
  • fa/tg/uy
    • View Profile
Re: Pandemic 2
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2008, 02:12:19 am »

"President Madagascar! A man in Brazil is coughing!"
"SHUT. DOWN. EVERYTHING."

My crazy theory is that the player character is the President of Madagascar, so as soon as your disease starts spreading he closes borders so he doesn't get wiped out by his own virus, and then proceeds to kill the rest of the human race making him de facto ruler of the world.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2008, 02:51:25 am »

Goddamn Madagascar is the bane of all Pandemic players. When a global virus starts to rampage, remember to run to Madagascar.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2008, 10:58:20 am »

I remember playing some other virus game, one that didn't have a whole lot of thought put into it.

The "scare factor" of a virus was based entirely on infection rate.  I once created a docile but highly resistant virus that simply spread to new hosts while remaining asymptomatic.

Airports all over the world were shut down and countries were quarantined.

Then I switch a few points around so that it's not nearly as infectious, but it causes spontaneous bleeding, vomiting, sneezing, fever, sores, and cold sweat.  Along with death, of course.

Everybody felt much safer now, so the airports welcomed the half-dead travelers to new worlds.

There was one round of that where the last man alive was in Africa.  Last man on the planet...  What a sensation that's got to be. 

I turned off all the negative effects of the virus he was infected with, and simply let him wander around for a few years with the knowledge that he was the last human being to walk the earth, and that even now a ticking time bomb of a virus was boiling away inside him.

I eventually let him bleed to death from multiple open sores.

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2008, 11:32:11 am »

Played this a long time ago, but there really needs to be an effect that makes people's eyes bleed.
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

IndonesiaWarMinister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2008, 12:27:31 am »

Anyone can help me? I stuck when the Goddamn researcher get the vaccine.

How to sneak past the vaccine?

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2008, 01:12:46 am »

I'm having the opposite problem. They don't get a working vaccine but I hit an equilibrium where every single person in infected regions are infected but any region not infected stays safe. No one is dieing even with heart failure and fever plus a couple others. Theres only 3 hospitals open research on the vaccine has stalled and I'm not getting any more evo points in any sort of reasonable rate because no one new is infected. I've had it sitting for about an hour gaining 1 point every couple of minutes and not making any headway.

Edit: Upgraded drug resistance and people started dieing so I was obviously stupid there.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2008, 01:15:13 am by beorn080 »
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2008, 04:10:46 am »

I spent all of my points getting to level 5 for symptoms, and was gravely disappointed that there was no zombie plague to unleash upon the world.  :(

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2008, 05:33:05 am »

I'm having problems with the 2 islands, namely greenland and madagaskar. Both closed the borders before I could upgrade the bacteria enough to survive in their climates. I have only one open hospital, in greenland. They'll take two years to make the vaccine. In other countries, there are no healthy citizens. I spread around the world on coughing and diarrhea!

There's also a cruise liner stuck in the Atlantic. It's been circling the ocean for several months now, since every country closed ports. I'm hoping that the population on board is counted as infected, so that when all countries die out and greenland opens port (if they even do that), they'll go there and infect the hell out of everyone.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

IndonesiaWarMinister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2008, 05:46:17 am »

Yeah, Sean, I'm too now get that problem (using bacteria)

The country's free: Japan (My bactery's name is Killer from Nihon (Japan), so it is good), Madagaskar, New Zealand, North Africa (how?), and Brazilia.

I then game over because all my infected die (Greenland is the first be forsaken.)

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2008, 05:58:09 am »

It's too bad you can't "hide" and let the countries think they have won, and the disease has gone. You can stop the symptoms, but you can't sell the infection traits. For example, I'd like the disease to stop being water-bearing, and start spreading through air. The infected water treatment plants reopen, governments stop giving out bottle water, and then you strike again.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

IndonesiaWarMinister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2008, 06:12:06 am »

Maybe in Pandemic 3  :D
Still, it is annoying.

Jools

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2008, 08:20:44 am »

I think the key to this is building up your starting region as a nice biohazard reactor, and then getting infected people out to as many regions as possible before Madagascar shuts it's shipyard (and other countries shut down all their ports and borders). The trouble is that by the time you've infected a few other countries, you're up to an infection level that causes governments to panic and shut down.

Even when I go for minimal resistances and a slow growth of disease, I get shut down. I think this game is mainly based on luck, I'm not sure if there is a balance that will ensure you can infect every region before they start getting shut down.

However, I still enjoy playing - notably the disease construction, selecting combinations that will perplex and confound the doctors, and lead to the swift death of the patient. I feel like a sort of anti-Dr. House - "Right, what more does the patient need? Vomiting and diarrhoea, or save up my points and go right for heart failure? Or even better, liver failure. They know all about me, so there's no point in hiding - and I might as well amuse myself by turning my victims a funny yellow colour".

IndonesiaWarMinister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2008, 08:22:26 am »

Well, how many nation have you crumbled to it's end?

How many in your current play?

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2008, 09:33:31 am »

You don't want something that infects too fast. That causes the governments to shut everything down. Ideally, you want Madagascar, Japan, and Australia infected and then hope that the rest of the world will get infected to.

The safest way to do this is to get a stupidly slow transmission rate and go play something else for a few hours.

Other than that, it's all luck based.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4