Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: Dathaecamo: Community game redefined?  (Read 34467 times)

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dathaecamo: Community game redefined?
« Reply #45 on: September 13, 2008, 08:37:23 am »

All right, finally got an update for my second year up on the wiki and my map uploaded to the DFMA and I'm playing the third year.  I started laying the groundwork for my masterwork construction, but I need to locate the underground river for it to work, so the final pieces will have to wait until I find it.
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 13, 2008, 09:43:26 am »

finally found the underground river. 

(details about the river follow.  look if you don't care)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 13, 2008, 03:56:06 pm »

Special update, my second siege!

16th Limestone
   I was talking with the dwarven liaison when the call came.
   “Siege!” I excused myself hastly and went for the tower, Catten met me there.
   “Any idea on troop strength?” I asked him.
   “Not at this range although it looks like there are quite a few on beak dogs.” I pondered for a moment.
   “Let them into the bottom of the tower but make sure to slam the floodgates closed when they get close, I want to try to trap as many as possible in the courtyard.”
   “Well what going on here?” A voice called out. We turned to see the baron striding towards us.
   “We are besieged.” I said calmly, Oddom sputtered.
   “Well what are you going to do about it?”
   We will trap as many as possible in the courtyard below us. When they reach it the floodgates will close and depending on how they react will determain how fast we get the bridge up.”
   “But that’s too dangerous!”
   “It will work. The traps will slow them down long enough for the floodgates to close and if any get by then we’ll get them with the military.” I smiled, “Just leave it to me.” I turned back to survey the force arrayed against us while Oddom stalked off muttering.
   “You sure that was a good idea?” Catten asked.
   “I need to show them who really is in charge here, the one who knows how to do things or the ones appointed over them.” I settled down to wait.
17th Limestone
I was working in my office when Catten stepped in.
   “We have the latest troop numbers here.” He handed me a list to look at.
16 goblins
1 mace wielder
11 crossbowmen
4 wrestlers
   “Bad news to,” I looked up, “the mace wielder is a mace lord.” I cursed, as if the crossbowmen weren’t bad enough they had sent a strong melee to boot.
   “I suppose we’ll have to be extra careful then.” I thought for a moment. “Raise the bridge and put down the floodgates, give us some time to get some fortifications up.” Catten grinned.
   “We’ll see what we can do.” He left me to finish my chores.

20th Limestone
   “Lower the bridge.” I commanded. I had already received the report about the second force of goblins north east of us. I was hoping to put the war dogs to use anyway. The bridge went down, and the goblins began crossing it warily. I signaled again. The bridge came up flinging goblins every which way and came back down on top of any in its path grounding them into paste. We cheered as some fled the scene. “Watch for the second group carefully.” I warned, we would catch them in the courtyard. A few minutes later the other group wandered in, talked with the survivors, and crossed the bridge quickly. One didn’t make it fast enough and was flung outside the tower while his mount flew inside. The rest began charging the traps when I gave a different signal. A moment later 19 war dogs were released upon the unsuspecting goblins. The courtyard literally exploded in violence as goblins tried to get away for fight the dogs and either crashing into each other or accidentally triggering a trap. “Go go go.” I shouted to the marksdwarves, they ran up to the tower. Oh how those goblins squealed when bolts began to fly into their ranks.

21st Limestone
The tally is done. About 32 goblins attacked the fort with roughly four beak dogs and three goblins escaping and more in the trench beneath the bridge. We have about nine dogs that survived from that cage, we have two more cages we didn’t trigger of 13 dogs each, but two dogs probably won’t be long for this world. No injuries to us though it will take awhile to replace the dogs the caravan still has a few in cages we could buy.

I don't know why but I always forget about taking pics during the fight.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2008, 04:01:45 pm by userpay »

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 13, 2008, 06:19:27 pm »

Damn I must be the unluckyest/luckest player or something, in my third siege right now. Updates soon.

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 13, 2008, 09:32:38 pm »

haha wow.  Nice report there.  I like the idea of animals in cages released to fight the goblins... might have to use that sometime.

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 13, 2008, 10:13:23 pm »

Oops i guess I forgot to do the special update, 2 and a half pages in word.
------------------------------
10th Granite
   “Siege!” The call echoed throughout the fort. I hurried to the lookout.
   “Where are they coming from?” I asked the dwarf.
   “So far I can see two groups from the north and another to the south.”
   “Good man, keep us updated.” I said clapping him on the shoulder. Heading down stairs I met with Catten.
   “We doing the same thing as before?”
   “Of course, get the dwarves in position.” Catten scooted off. I went to deal with the nobles.

12th Granite
Catten walked into my office a scroll clutched in his hand and a grim look on his face.
   “Here’s the troop numbers of the goblins.” He said handing it to me.
Group 1
1 human
-Thefin Atekrostfen, spearmaster, local leader
15 goblins
-9 hammermen
-6 wrestlers
16 beak dogs

Group 2
16 goblins
-Bosa Uslukstosbob, mace lord, local leader
-7 spearmen
-8 wrestlers
16 beak dogs

Group 3
1 Human
-Kuda Xemmori, spearmaster, local leader
15 goblins
-6 swordsmen
-9 wrestlers
16 beak dogs

I just stared at the scroll.
   “This many… and three of the local leaders as well…” I sighed and rubbed my eyes. “Well at least they have no ranged support. Raise the bridge for now, I want to put more cage traps in.”
   “Aye.” Catten saluted and walked away barking orders. I got up and began walking towards where the mechanisms were stored to help out. As I walked I worried about whether the elf caravan would be coming this year to the slaughter.

22nd Granite
We are almost ready to face the goblins. A line of weapon traps were taken out and many cages traps put in, I want prisoners and it’s the beak dogs that tend to be captured.

26th Granite
   “Drop the bridge.” I commanded ready for what was to come. The first group, headed by Kuda, slowly made its way forward. As they came in I snapped my fingers, the trap closed with only two not in the trap. As the first cage traps began going off, Kuda in one I saw with satisfaction, I gestured again.
   “Get up there boys!” Catten called and the crossbow squads went up to the tower. As the bolts began falling the goblins panicked and more began running into the cage traps, goblins were thrown off their mounts. It was chaos and I was thrilled at our simple plan that worked so many times.

2nd Slate
The first group was still being worked on when an unexpected call went up.
   “Titan!” I groaned but when I was looking out from the lookout spot I saw the titan was staying right where it was.
   “Catten.” I called.
   “Aye?” He yelled from the tower.
   “There may be a change in plans, we have a titan on our hands.” I was treated to the sound of cursing but I smiled anyway, we would survive.

19th Slate
Our drawbridge lowered. We waited most of the day but the titan came running into the base of the tower about midday. He laughed to the two goblin groups that were still trying to get to our fort almost run over each other trying to stop.
   “I will be the one to take this fort riches!” He bellowed and strode in. The bridge came up behind him but he didn’t care the titan kept coming forward taunting us. “I am Fathinu Nematheyane, named Fathinueyeyo. I have killed…” Bam! The titan found himself on his back starting up at the crossbars of a cage.
   “Like a fly to sugar.” I said walking up to the cage and stopping just out of reach. The titan roared and cursed at me but he couldn’t do anything in the cage. I turned around and motioned for the cage to be moved and the trap reloaded.

21st Slate
The next group of goblins began to cross the bridge.
   “Hurry raise the bridge.” I called, the last group wasn’t to far behind. The bridge began going up but not before Thefin followed Bosa’s group over the bridge, I cursed. Goblins went flying but now I may not catch all of the leaders. I watched as Bosa was captured and wondered what Thefin would do. He strode forward, goblins and their mounts being caught in traps, and entered the corridor. I cage sprung up and took his mount from under him but he got away before he could stumble into another one. “Then we wait.” I muttered watching, planning.

27th Slate
The floodgate began to squeal open. Thefin noticed this and grinned.
   “You don’t have anymore traps!? Are you coming out to fight? Well then let’s do this.” He ran towards the rising gate, and was caught by the last line of cage traps before the weapons. He roared, furious he had fallen for it. I grinned but then saw the rest of the group we caught rush forward.
   “Close the gate.” I yelled but it was too late, some had gotten in. A goblin on a beak dog rushed Mebzuth our jeweler, Ingiz a planter, and me. With a yell they both jumped and tried to wrestle the beak dog to the ground knocking the goblin off. I backpedaled ordering Mothkat’s squad, the Daggers of Searing, forward. They came around the corner and began wrestling the beak dog down. Sigun, a peasant, unfortunately tried to help as well before they got there and was killed. When the beak dog and the goblin fell, Catten and his squad rushed up the ramp and picked off the last two goblins in the courtyard. I looked around. Mebzuth had gotten off with a shallow wound to his right arm but Ingiz hadn’t gotten off so easy. Ingiz had lost his entire right leg to the beak dog and a few other wounds aside. I called for a peasant to be set to taking care of the wounded and turned to face Sigun.
   “Make sure that he is buried with all respects.” I said. “What is going on outside?”
   “The goblins that were outside appear to have left sir.” One dwarf replied. I looked again to Sigun. In my greed to capture the leaders I had cost a life, yet was that not the way of war? If I had stepped forward and helped maybe they would all have been ok. Someone put their hand on my shoulder.
   “It’s not your fault.” Catten said.
   “Yet it seems as if it was my fault.”
   “No one can anticipate the outcome of a battle. May this dwarf’s soul go out to the gods, but don’t disrespect his spirit by doubting yourself.” I smiled.
   “Thanks Catten.” He patted my shoulder.
   “Alright lets get this cleaned up!” Catten shouted and everyone moved forward.
-----------------------
RIP Sigun. The first dwarf casualty. I think he was trying to pull Ingiz out of there, or get the sock he dropped from his leg, but I guess this proves I need to expose more of the entryway to the sun. At any rate I've now got another titan, male this time, and three local leaders.

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 14, 2008, 08:35:47 am »

Just finished my third year.  I had a goblin ambush in the middle of winter and they got one lucky shot at my best macedwarf and managed to make him suffocate before they were smashed across the landscape by the rest of the dwarves.  Annoying.

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 14, 2008, 01:46:57 pm »

Another dwarf, a thresher, died from his wounds finally after going beserk and getting shot at, then going into a material trance (not that he could move, leg gone) then got smashed into a wall by a training hammer dwarf. Oh and I've got a third titan now. Looking at legends it appears I have the last three megabeasts in existance.

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 14, 2008, 09:43:49 pm »

Eh guess I forgot to mess with my wiki page this weekend, guess I'll do it tommarrow.

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 14, 2008, 11:22:29 pm »

lol another freaking siege, how many have the rest of you had? Seems rather odd I'm getting so many sieges.
---------------------
9th Granite
   “Siege!” I looked up sharply from hooking some beak dog cages up to a lever. I stood and rushed past Mothkat’s squad who were suppose to face them. As I walked I met with Lir.
   “Lir,” He stopped, “I want you to get more cages made. We still haven’t emptied out most of the prisoner’s cages yet.”
   “Aye, it’ll be done.” We continued on our separate ways. At the trade depot I met with Catten.
   “From what we can see its three groups, two to the east and one to the south.” He said.
   “Well looks like another year without the elves. Anyway keep me informed of the situation. And get someone ready to close the floodgates.” I stood there ready to face this next challenge.

11th Granite
A messenger found me by the trade depot.
   “Troop counts sir.” He said handing me a scroll.
   “Thank you, go help with the preparations.” As the lad left I pursued the scroll.
Group 1
15 goblins
-Osbu Duzobamxu, local leader, spearmaster
-5 axemen
-8 wrestlers
15 beak dogs

Group 2
1 human
-guard
15 goblins
-5 bowmen
-10 wrestlers
16 beak dogs

Group 3
1 human
-hammerman
15 goblins
-6 spearmen
-9 wrestlers
16 beak dogs

=Group 3 is most likely to reach us first.

I leaned against the trade depot. So the last local leader had come out to play, and they seem to have learned their lesson about troop types. I entertained the thought of whether the goblin ruler would come in the next siege. I stood up properly and went around to ensure everything was in place.

16th Granite
The third group warily approached our steel walls, unsure of what to make of it. They entered looking at our grown tower and around. Went to signal for the gates and outer bridge be closed but hesitated, the second group was just outside as well. I closed my grip and the gates and the inner bridge closed. When we knew that the third group was trapped our squads moved into position, the two melee squads in front and a marksdwarf squad behind them. The gate opened, with a roar our warriors poured out. Almost immediately a goblin was fatally injured with a stab to the chest. It degenerated into a confusing mass of body’s moments later. Within minutes however the fighting died down, the first battle was ours! No one reported any injuries and with the bridge still up we could clean up and rearm traps in peace.
   “Go!” I shouted and the first cleanup began.

7th Slate
We eased the bridges down curious to see what happened next. The second group came over the bridge confidently, not yet seeing the bodies of their comrades in the inner courtyard. I signaled. The gates went down and the outer bridge went up. I waved the marksdwarf squads up to the tower. A few minutes later the slaughter began and there wasn’t anything the bowmen they had could do about it. Ten minutes later the marksdwarves tramped on down the stairs laughing and congratulating themselves.
   “So how was it?” I asked Catten, he grinned.
   “Like shooting fish in a barrel!” He laughed. “Osbu’s group got away, probably too scared from the screams of their brethren.” I frowned, that I hadn’t counted on.
   “Oh well, he’ll probably be back next time.” I waved everyone forward to the last cleanup job.

IndonesiaWarMinister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 15, 2008, 03:31:30 am »

Wow! Good job everyone!
This will be good for many testing in the future! (such as the random roll of .... many things in DF)

OFFTOPIC:
I seem to remember the title. eh... RTS redefined? Perimeter?

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 15, 2008, 09:57:37 am »

Wow... another siege.  I haven't had anything big yet, just an ambush or two (no megabeasts or sieges), but I've only done the first three years.  I find it kind of funny that you're capturing anything important.... I need to get a decent defense set up fast if that's what waiting in my fourth year though.

And off topic response: yeah it was a pretty OK game (the demo was anyway) and it definitely redefined RTS.

mrchinchin25

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 15, 2008, 12:11:57 pm »

I've not had a single siege yet, just the one ambush (and a sasquatch..).

I'm mostly "internetless" at the moment unfortunately, so updates will be few and far between for the next few weeks, but i'll be running DF in on my laptop and taking notes so there will be updates at some point in the future!

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 15, 2008, 08:21:21 pm »

Wow! Good job everyone!
This will be good for many testing in the future! (such as the random roll of .... many things in DF)

OFFTOPIC:
I seem to remember the title. eh... RTS redefined? Perimeter?
Hmm looked it up on wikipedia, definetly looks interesting. Anyway gonna try to do some major updating to my wiki section tonight, probably add the pics tommarrow.

edit: got it updated.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2008, 09:01:31 pm by userpay »

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 16, 2008, 11:05:51 pm »

Might not be playing DF for awhile, borrowed a game off a friend.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6