Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: Dathaecamo: Community game redefined?  (Read 34460 times)

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dathaecamo: Community game redefined?
« Reply #60 on: September 17, 2008, 07:27:59 am »

geez I didn't realize you were on your seventh year... I'd say you're perfectly fine not playing for a while (I'm still on the fourth). 

What'd ya borrow?
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 17, 2008, 08:34:30 am »

Battle for middle earth 2. Considering that I've also got a 7 page paper I need to finish writing I might be taking a week break from DF although I'll still be on the forum.

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 17, 2008, 03:55:36 pm »

sounds good.  I should have more up by then, although classes and lab work are kind of eating my time.  That and rereading Harry Potter...  :-\
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 17, 2008, 07:26:06 pm »

sounds good.  I should have more up by then, although classes and lab work are kind of eating my time.  That and rereading Harry Potter...  :-\
How much free time you have? Even though I don't get back home till 4:30-5:00 I still have a few hours till bed (I have to get up early).

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 17, 2008, 08:32:17 pm »

Yeah I get home between 4:30 and 6:30 depending on the day and I SHOULD study at some point... but I really don't.  I spent about 2 and a half hours playing today and only got half a year done.  I think I need to work on getting the framerate up so it goes faster.  I had my first siege though, so that's pretty exciting.  I killed off 8 goblins and the beakdog they brought and 9 goblins retreated.  I took a lot more notes this time, so hopefully there'll be a better writeup... whenever that happens  :P.  Time to read a bit and sleep.  I'm starting to get headaches from not sleeping enough  ;D.

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 20, 2008, 11:43:10 am »

I think I'm going to start playing again, middle earth is starting to bore me.

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 20, 2008, 03:48:02 pm »

lol get back on, i get traders, then as they come in a siege appears, what fun.
-------------------------------
9th Limestone
Coming out from mining the magnetite cluster I got the news that the dwarven caravan has appeared on the road. I ordered the military onto standby and for things to be brought to the depot.

10th Limestone
Damnination! A siege appears to be upon us. Troops numbers are imprecise but we need to hurry the traders in as fast as possible.

12th Limestone
   I was chatting with the head trader when Catten walked up to me.
   “Got the latest troop numbers.” He said gruffly. I took the scroll from him and opened it, the trader crowded close to read.

Group 1
13 goblins
-Osbu Duzobamxu, macelord, local leader
-7 wrestlers
-5 swordsmen
13 beak dogs

Group 2
1 human
-Catet Mudungmim, spearman
11 goblins
-5 wrestlers
-6 spearmen
12 beak dogs

Group 3
1 human
-Idem Idowarosp, guard
14 goblins
-8 wrestlers
-5 lashers
15 beak dogs
*special note: Idem appears to be missing a leg

Group 4
1 human
-Raji Atthemotnge, guard
14 goblins
-7 wrestlers
-7 hammermen
15 beak dogs

“That’s quite a few goblins.” The trader said gravely, I snorted.
   “We’ve faced this many before without to much of an issue. So far we’ve only lost two dwarves and we’ve had many sieges. My question is will we be able to get your traders in and keep the liaison from leaving before they arrive.”
   “From what I see they should make it.” Catten said.
   “All right then, get ready for the normal procedures.” I resumed chatting with the trader and Catten went off to prepare.

14th Limestone
The echo of cage traps going off drifted down the tunnel.
   “Idiots sent an advance party and they got all caught up.” Catten remarked, another dwarf came walking up.
   “Imush, Solon just started acting funny. He claimed the craftshop and started to gather things. I rubbed the bridge of my nose.
   “Too many things happening at once, keep an eye on him and get him what he wants.” The dwarf walked away.
   “Their backing off for now.” A voice called.
   “In that case I’ll get some trading done while those goblins meander out there.”

15th Limestone
Well Solon gathered some logs, a gneiss block, and some giant cave spider silk and begun working. At least that’s taken care of. We traded for metals, wood, and food. Now all we have to do is kill these sons of bitches that are waiting outside.

18th Limestone
   “They coming in force?” I asked Catten who was waiting by the depot.
   “Yep, almost the whole group is in one big mob. Doesn’t look like we’ll beable to capture Osbu unless we can knock him into the trenches.” We waited restlessly as the goblins gathered outside.
   “Close everything up!” I shouted suddenly. Dwarves scurried for the levers. A minute later Osbu crossed the bridge, many in front of him yet at least one group still outside, when the gates closed and the bridges went up. I smiled. “How bout we let the melee squads have a go?” I asked, a resounding cheer went up and dwarves scurried to get ready.

20th Limestone
The dwarves positioned themselves at the gate, a marksdwarf squad backing them up.
   “Open the gates!” I called and with a screech the gates opened to let us sally forth. With a roar the goblins in the inner courtyard charged at us and we met with a resounding crash. Immediately I see two of our people start acting funny, becoming more fluid in their movements. The military cut a swath through the goblins and their beak dogs, nothing penetrating their strong armor. Even when they ran out of bolts the markdwarves stepped forward and smashed goblins with their crossbows. Soon the fighting stilled, the goblins and their mounts death and no injuries on our side.   “Go! Collect the spoils and reset the traps for the next group.” I ordered and cleanup began.

10th Sandstone
   “The merchants are wanting to leave.” Catten said walking up to me.
   “Damn. Oi stop gathering, we need to finish off the rest of the goblins.” I shouted, everyone came back inside. “Lower the inner bridge.” It went down. We waited a few minutes, then the goblins began crossing it. “Raise it.” I shouted. The bridge went up just as Osbu went into a cage trap. “Charge!” I roared, it was over in a minute. “Lower the bridge!” I shouted again. That one was over in seconds.
   “Sir the goblins outside the courtyard have fled.” A dwarf reported.
   “All right! Get the outer bridges lowered so the caravan can leave and begin clean up.”

14th Sandstone
   “We can’t thank you enough Imush for protecting us.” The lead trader said as wagon rumbled by.
   “No need to thank us, mearly doing our duty to fellow dwarves.” The trader eyed the mounts of bodies.
   “You have a giant amount of cleanup to do though.” I shrugged.
   “Small price to pay for killing goblins, and we still have more to kill in the trenches as well.”
   “Anyway, farewell. We will spread stories of your valor to the mountainhome”
   “Good bye to you as well.”

20th Sandstone
As soon as the caravan cleared out we let the goblins out of the trenches… into our military. Now cleanup begins in ernest.
-----------------------
Anyway I think I finally got that local leader, I'll have to check after homework.

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 20, 2008, 06:24:32 pm »

Peh another siege barely a season afterwords. Nothing much to say about it.

mrchinchin25

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 21, 2008, 01:02:13 pm »

Managed to find the time to get through another year, but uploading things and generally browsing the internet on this 3g card is a real pain...

I've had 1 siege so far, nothing terrible at all. Quite a few ambushes

On a lighter note, my best killer dwarves have started getting decent nicknames - Domas "Princessrag the scaly utterances of glazing", and Catten "Inktundras the Patterned Haze" have slain 6 and 5 enemies each respectively....

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 21, 2008, 02:29:25 pm »

Managed to find the time to get through another year, but uploading things and generally browsing the internet on this 3g card is a real pain...

On a lighter note, my best killer dwarves have started getting decent nicknames - Domas "Princessrag the scaly utterances of glazing", and Catten "Inktundras the Patterned Haze" have slain 6 and 5 enemies each respectively....
lol you got a Catten in the military as well, is he a marksdwarf? I recently got the philosepher though I'm wondering when I'll go up to County and Dutchy.

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 21, 2008, 08:27:09 pm »

I haven't done much more, but I updated with what I have.  Halfway through my 4th year and finally got my first siege.

magikarcher

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 21, 2008, 08:33:52 pm »

Awfully large? I can play an entire map without severe repercussions.

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 21, 2008, 11:36:31 pm »

Awfully large? I can play an entire map without severe repercussions.
Ah but there are some very high mountains in this map, unfortunatly no sheer cliffs but damn near. Very plentiful in reasources to, made over 600 bars of steel so far I think. Blasted stocks counts the steel in buildings to.

edit: poking around the count and duke pages in the wiki I clicked on the verify buttons and I think I know how to get to duke now. Hopefully I can get the king over the next few days so I can start mining the HFS.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2008, 11:50:21 pm by userpay »

mrchinchin25

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 22, 2008, 12:07:09 pm »

lol you got a Catten in the military as well, is he a marksdwarf? I recently got the philosepher though I'm wondering when I'll go up to County and Dutchy.

Yeah my top two killers are both marksdwarves... it will be interesting to see if they can survive to make it through the next few years...

I have to say I'm really enjoying having all the legends and histories available to browse through on a yearly basis!

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 23, 2008, 09:36:13 pm »

I'm still playing if people are wondering about the silence, just nothing really to report. Haven't gotten any immigrants for a long time which is kinda odd but eh whatever.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6