Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Wonderful new ore! Now...What to do with it....  (Read 1792 times)

Axe27

• Bay Watcher
  • Put down the crossbow
    • View Profile
Wonderful new ore! Now...What to do with it....
« on: September 01, 2008, 10:18:46 pm »

Hi. I just struck upon some magnetite (which for the purposes of smelting is just like iron ore), which is awesome. Problem is, with only 7 dwarves, I haven't a damn clue what to do with it.

Also, I've modded my dwarves to have SPEED:1, so anything you suggest will get done VERY quickly.
And thus did the dream of dwarven antigravity fade away, not with a massive explosion or a flood of magma, but with a whimper.

I'm going to be depressed all day now.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wonderful new ore! Now...What to do with it....
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2008, 10:34:04 pm »

Uh, melt it down and make steel plate armor? That's what I did :D

I've got huge walls of magnetite, enough to provide every dwarf in my fortress with chain mail and a buckler.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

hexrei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2008, 10:34:30 pm »

turn it all into toys! iron toy boats and hammers! ::)

Axe27

• Bay Watcher
  • Put down the crossbow
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2008, 10:44:38 pm »

Dolomite, so sweet. I'll go and supply my de facto military with some steel armor, unless someone suggests something truly absurd/impossible/useless/absolutely dwarven.
And thus did the dream of dwarven antigravity fade away, not with a massive explosion or a flood of magma, but with a whimper.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2008, 10:55:41 pm »

Use it to build an iron tower with a open throne room on the top for your leader to look out upon their domain. Make sure to make the throne from iron and fill the tower with iron statues.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Axe27

• Bay Watcher
  • Put down the crossbow
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2008, 11:12:50 pm »

Use it to build an iron tower with a open throne room on the top for your leader to look out upon their domain. Make sure to make the throne from iron and fill the tower with iron statues.

There's someone with heart!

Now, I'm burning through wood like a fire imp with a goat.

Any tips on finding magma? (That I know I have on this map)

Captain Xenon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2008, 11:14:18 pm »

take all of your ore, turn it to iron (and steel if you have flux), and make large serrated blades! make as many as you can, and get the mechanics shop going full tilt for mechanisms. now, defend your fort with as many traps of serrated blades as you can.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2008, 11:37:54 pm »

The easiest way (though it pretty much destroys a z-level for use by anything else) is to simply dig straight for the bottom level, then dig a grid pattern through the whole level till you find some warm tiles. You can probably space the grid lines 10 tiles apart and still find it, but I usually do 5 spaces apart just to be 100% sure I get it.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Dorten

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAFFEINE_DEPENDENT ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2008, 11:55:14 pm »

10 tiles apart is too close.
Magma pipe surely takes the center of local map tile, which is 48*48 of ingame tiles. Just dig as many horisontal/vertical corridors as you had rows/columns on local area map on embark.

Or you can dig vertical shafts from the surface, centered at local area map tile centers. It'll find even a pool, if you don't have a pipe.
Cacodemon 2nd Leutenant
medals: 8/40
specials: 30/44
badges: 13:8:3:0:0

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2008, 12:07:27 am »

take all of your ore, turn it to iron (and steel if you have flux), and make large serrated blades! make as many as you can, and get the mechanics shop going full tilt for mechanisms. now, defend your fort with as many traps of serrated blades as you can.

Turn all your iron into steel serrated discs, but don't put them in traps. Abandon and go there with an adventurer. Who needs coins?
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.

Viprince

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2008, 03:45:22 am »

Turn it all to steel and create a gigantic statue out of it of Armok or a Dwarf.
I'm talking about a statue of liberty kind of thing using 3Dwarf.

DwarfMan69

• Bay Watcher
  • Hatred, darkness, and Despair
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2008, 05:24:43 am »

The easiest way (though it pretty much destroys a z-level for use by anything else) is to simply dig straight for the bottom level, then dig a grid pattern through the whole level till you find some warm tiles. You can probably space the grid lines 10 tiles apart and still find it, but I usually do 5 spaces apart just to be 100% sure I get it.

I don't think you should do that if you have "other features" on the map.

betamax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2008, 06:04:14 am »

I don't think you should do that if you have "other features" on the map.
It's not hard to wall up a breach.

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2008, 08:29:37 am »

Well I just found an awsome spot that has tons of stuff including multipul magnetite deposits on the surface (19 z-levels) if you guys are interested in the save then refer to this thread when I post the save when I get back
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=24229.0
and it would be great if someone wants to join me in my endevor.

blakyoshi7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2008, 11:18:11 am »

Turn the whole lot of it into Iron large, serrated discs and fill the entrance with weapon traps. Hooray for whirling metal death!
Life is but a twinkle, a winking of an eye...
Pages: [1] 2