Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Body part question - can you have multiple CON's?  (Read 2672 times)

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
Body part question - can you have multiple CON's?
« on: September 01, 2008, 09:08:06 pm »

I was going to make a body with left and right sides for the upper and lower bodies, to prevent silliness like an arrow penetrating both lungs the liver and the heart. I'm fine with it doing the lung + heart or lung + liver, but all 4 is just a bit far fetched. So I made RUB, LUB, RLB, LLB. I have the organs and such placed appropriately.

My question is, is there a way to connect a body part to multiple other body parts? Like having the RUB connected to the LUB and vice versa. And the same for the RLB and LLB. Plus the head to both the RUB and LUB. And the spines. Or is the only way to just make a central body part that all the body parts connect to? I guess Central UB and LB.

Another thing I'm wondering is: Why is the neck connected to the head? Shouldn't the neck be connected to the UB and the head connected to the neck? If make it this way, will I have some problem down the road?

-edit- Another question: Are [NERVOUS] body parts required? And does anyone know exactly what they do? All the wiki says is they cause pain, and all I know about them is they do not heal. I was thinking of removing NERVOUS from parts to allow minor injuries like a neck bruise/etc to heal and allow soldiers to keep training with them. I'm just worried it might have undesirable effects.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2008, 09:28:14 pm by Paul »
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: Body part question - can you have multiple CON's?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2008, 10:41:48 pm »

I think that you can't connect two body parts to each other (A to B and B to A) I do think that you can do a three way thing. (A to B, B to C, and C to A)

The neck is connected to the head because the head in the game is your head, neck, hair, eyes, and all that is above your shoulders. This means that the neck is actually a part of the head, and is so attached.

Also, this means that if you hit someone's head, there is a chance to hit their neck. There is also a chance to hit the neck when you hit the upper body, but because the connection goes from the  upper body to the head, and then from the head to the neck, it means that there is a smaller chance of hurting the neck from the upper body. (Sort of like rolling three dice one at a time, but you can only roll the second die, the head, if you roll a one on the first die, and you can only roll the third die, the neck, if you get a one on the second die.)

If you connect the neck to the upper body, and then the head to the neck, it will reverse the places, with it working as above except switch the places of the head and neck.

Nervous body parts are not required, but the [THOUGHT] tag is unless a creature has the [NOTHOUGHT] tag. All that the nervous body part does is set it so that that body part causes extreme pain/paralyzation when it is damaged, and it prevents that body part from healing damage.

If you remove it from dwarves, yes it will allow your soldiers to keep training, but it will basically make the spine part worthless in acting as a spine should. With the [NERVOUS] tag removed, a dwarf will suffer no ill effects at all from a broken spine other than the effects that they would suffer from any broken bone.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Lazureus

• Bay Watcher
  • Perfection is Flawed
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2008, 10:45:22 pm »

instead of having the RUB to LLB, maybe just attach it to the spinal collumn and ribcage as they are two centralised bodyparts.

With my creatures, I have all the organs attached to the ribcage and spine instead of upperbody and lowerbody(except for lungs as they never worked unless they were attached to upperbody directly).

Current modding project:Tyranids 2010
Past modding projects:
DF2010: Crematorium
40d: ‼TYRANIDS‼
Quote from: Dark Pegasus
Just when I thought I couldn't despise him any more... He finds a whole new and undiscovered way!!

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2008, 10:49:35 pm »

Random tangent here.

One time while messing around with body part connections I somehow accidentally modded all of my creatures organs except its lungs to be on the outside of its body. To say the least, my creature immediately collapsed and threw up as its heart pumped all of its blood all over the ground.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Lazureus

• Bay Watcher
  • Perfection is Flawed
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2008, 11:06:31 pm »

Random tangent here.

One time while messing around with body part connections I somehow accidentally modded all of my creatures organs except its lungs to be on the outside of its body. To say the least, my creature immediately collapsed and threw up as its heart pumped all of its blood all over the ground.

The left half of my brain is saying: EEEEEWWWW!!
The right half of my brain is saying: Got a video?
Past modding projects:
Just when I thought I couldn't despise him any more... He finds a whole new and undiscovered way!!

Paul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2008, 11:43:09 pm »

Can you not have [INTERNAL] things connected to [INTERNAL] things? I tried making the left and right body [INTERNAL] and then [EMBEDDED] in the hopes of making them not show up until wounded to reduce body part clutter, but in both cases they just remained visible. Heres my body for reference:

Code: [Select]
[BODY:HUMANOID_COMPLEX]
[BP:USPINE:upper spine][NERVOUS][INTERNAL][SMALL][SKELETON]
[BP:CUB:upper body][CON:USPINE][UPPERBODY]
[BP:RUB:right upper body][CON:CUB][EMBEDDED][RIGHT]
[BP:LIVER:liver][CON:RUB][INTERNAL][SMALL][RIGHT]
[BP:RLUNG:right lung][CON:RUB][BREATHE][INTERNAL][SMALL][RIGHT]
[BP:LUB:left upper body][CON:CUB][EMBEDDED][LEFT]
[BP:LLUNG:left lung][CON:LUB][BREATHE][INTERNAL][SMALL][LEFT]
[BP:HEART:heart][CON:LUB][CIRCULATION][INTERNAL][SMALL][LEFT]
[BP:LSPINE:lower spine][CON:USPINE][NERVOUS][INTERNAL][SMALL][SKELETON]
[BP:CLB:lower body][CON:LSPINE][LOWERBODY]
[BP:RLB:right lower body][CON:CLB][INTERNAL][RIGHT]
[BP:RKIDNEY:right kidney][CON:RLB][INTERNAL][SMALL][RIGHT]
[BP:GUTS:guts][CON:RLB][GUTS][INTERNAL][SMALL][RIGHT]
[BP:PANCREAS:pancreas][CON:RLB][INTERNAL][SMALL][RIGHT]
[BP:LLB:left lower body][CON:CLB][INTERNAL][LEFT]
[BP:LKIDNEY:left kidney][CON:LLB][INTERNAL][SMALL][LEFT]
[BP:STOMACH:stomach][CON:LLB][INTERNAL][SMALL][LEFT]
[BP:SPLEEN:spleen][CON:LLB][INTERNAL][SMALL][LEFT]
[BP:NECK:neck][CON:USPINE][NERVOUS][INTERNAL][SMALL][SKELETON]
[BP:THROAT:throat][CON:NECK][THROAT][EMBEDDED][SMALL]
[BP:HD:head][CON:NECK][HEAD]
[BP:RUA:right upper arm][CON:RUB][LIMB][RIGHT]
[BP:LUA:left upper arm][CON:LUB][LIMB][LEFT]
[BP:RLA:right lower arm][CON:RUA][LIMB][RIGHT]
[BP:LLA:left lower arm][CON:LUA][LIMB][LEFT]
[BP:RH:right hand][CON:RLA][GRASP][RIGHT]
[BP:LH:left hand][CON:LLA][GRASP][LEFT]
[BP:RUL:right upper leg][CON:RLB][LIMB][RIGHT]
[BP:LUL:left upper leg][CON:LLB][LIMB][LEFT]
[BP:RLL:right lower leg][CON:RUL][LIMB][RIGHT]
[BP:LLL:left lower leg][CON:LUL][LIMB][LEFT]
[BP:RF:right foot][CON:RLL][STANCE][RIGHT]
[BP:LF:left foot][CON:LLL][STANCE][LEFT]

I'm also concerned about how armor works. Will upper body armor still protect the spine and such since it's set as the main body part that the upper body is connected to? Or do I need to make the spine connected to the upper body?

And I assume armor protects everything connected to the part in question. So the left/right body parts would still be protected by stuff worn on the central part, right?
« Last Edit: September 01, 2008, 11:45:49 pm by Paul »
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Lazureus

• Bay Watcher
  • Perfection is Flawed
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2008, 12:17:22 am »

Can you not have [INTERNAL] things connected to [INTERNAL] things? I tried making the left and right body [INTERNAL] and then [EMBEDDED] in the hopes of making them not show up until wounded to reduce body part clutter, but in both cases they just remained visible. Heres my body for reference:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I'm also concerned about how armor works. Will upper body armor still protect the spine and such since it's set as the main body part that the upper body is connected to? Or do I need to make the spine connected to the upper body?

And I assume armor protects everything connected to the part in question. So the left/right body parts would still be protected by stuff worn on the central part, right?

That looks good to me. except that you are missing a brain :P

Armor should still work like normal as it attaches itself to [UPPERBODY] [LOWERBODY] [GRASP] [STANCE] etc. And that it places itself over top of connected body parts. correct me if I'm wrong of course

Basic Tyranid Body:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 02, 2008, 09:23:18 am by Lazureus »
Past modding projects:

Paul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2008, 12:40:55 am »

It's actually missing a lot of stuff :)
2EYES:2EARS:NOSE:HUMANOID_JOINTS:BRAIN:5FINGERS:5TOES:MOUTH

They are all added separately, I used the standard bits for them.

Your Tyranid body looked like it had errors though... doesn't CONTYPE have to be a specific type like [HEAD] [UPPERBODY] etc.? You have CONTYPE:TBRAIN, shouldn't that just be CON:TBRAIN?

I can't seem to get the left and right body pieces to be hidden, though. No matter WHAT I do they stay visible. I tried making them embedded, internal, etc. I even removed all the body parts connecting to them (so that they SHOULD act just like any other internal part, like say the spleen) but they STILL show up. I can't figure out why... I even pasted my entry for them into the standard body as extra internal organs and I still got "upper left body" "upper right body" "lower left body" and "lower right body" showing up in the list...

The body types hate me, apparently. I can even put [BP:RUB:right googly goo][CON:UB][EMBEDDED]
in the middle of the dwarves body section and it shows up as visible, yet the throat/etc still doesn't....

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2008, 04:09:41 am »

Just "embedded" does not make a part invisible. Making it "small" or "internal" does. "embedded" + "aperture" make a part indestructible by normal means.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2008, 04:16:52 am »

I solved it this way: Chest, right torso side and left torso side. Heart is in the chest, lungs are in other parts.

It was ok, but there was a fun thing... The creature was able to lose it's right torso side (with arm etc.) and still live -.-.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2008, 08:56:58 am »

It was ok, but there was a fun thing... The creature was able to lose it's right torso side (with arm etc.) and still live -.-.

Well Deon, looks like that youve modded in Frankenstein.  ;D

Lazureus

• Bay Watcher
  • Perfection is Flawed
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2008, 09:30:07 am »

Your Tyranid body looked like it had errors though... doesn't CONTYPE have to be a specific type like [HEAD] [UPPERBODY] etc.? You have CONTYPE:TBRAIN, shouldn't that just be CON:TBRAIN?

Oddly enough the body works perfectly even when using CONTYPE instead of CON... I should fix that anyways just in case it gets fixed. If there's something I've learned well enough in college is to never design something that uses a bug to work, as it generally get fixed and you're out of luck.

Past modding projects: