Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Hermit challenge.  (Read 1770 times)

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
Hermit challenge.
« on: September 01, 2008, 01:50:55 pm »

Is there a way I could make it easier by eliminating the fact I have to kill off 6 dwarves and pick one? I'd much rather just starting with one.

Also, I assume immigration is possible to turn off in the init.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Kidiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Hermit challenge.
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2008, 02:15:34 pm »

I believe there's a utility that can alter the number of dwarves you embark with. I think it's Tweak, but I'm not sure.
Veni, Vidi, Pompeii.
Soylent Green is kittens!
Sometimes, when my Dorfs are exceptionally stupid again, I wonder what exactly the [INTELLIGENT]-tag does.

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2008, 03:40:33 pm »

Tweak is out of my reach due to reasons I do not wish to discuss.

But if someone could provide me with a modified file or something, that'd be grand.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2008, 05:14:56 pm »

But I thought half the fun of the hermit challenge was the ways you kill the other 6 dwarves. Digging a pit to trap them in then dumping remains is always a fun thing to do as you watch the madness set in for them.

Alternativly put all your dwarves in a pit and channel off your route, then wait for the madness to set in and the last non-insane dwarf left alive is your hermit who as all hermits should be is scarred and unintelligable and scares off migrants and caravans who visit.

Lazureus

• Bay Watcher
  • Perfection is Flawed
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2008, 11:04:12 pm »

Easiest way that I could think of to get rid of the other 6 dwarves is to:

1) bring enough rope to tie off all your animals you wish to keep.
2) tie up tour animals
3) dig a pit that resembles this:
Code: [Select]
╔═════╗               O╗╚╝╔║═╩ all equal walls
║=====║╔══╗           + equals floor
║=====╚╝X+╚══╗        < equals stairs
║=====++O+++<║   
║=====╔═╩════╝
║=====║
╚═════╝
4) set a meeting zone in the area marked with "="
5) make the dwarf you wish to keep buld a wall on the "X"
6) tadaa! You are finished.
Current modding project:Tyranids 2010
Past modding projects:
DF2010: Crematorium
40d: ‼TYRANIDS‼
Quote from: Dark Pegasus
Just when I thought I couldn't despise him any more... He finds a whole new and undiscovered way!!

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2008, 11:10:15 pm »

I use spikes, I mean, all it uses is three stones an one piece of wood for the spikes themselves. You just use the stones to make three mechanisms and the piece of wood to make the spikes. You then build a lever and connect it to the spikes. Then you recruit everyone into the military except the one dwarf and set them all into the same squad. Station the squad on the spikes and set the lever on repeat. The cool thing about this is that then after you kill the leader, the second in command becomes the leader and moves to where the squad is stationed, onto the spikes! This set up will only cost 15 points (9 for the stones, 3 for the wood, and then 3 for another stone or wood to build the mechanic's/carpenter's workshop) and will allow you to kill all but one of the starting dwarves within the space of five minutes.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Teldin

• Bay Watcher
  • Canadian Bacon
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2008, 11:27:56 pm »

Why is it a "challenge" if you never get sieges or anything?

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2008, 11:33:21 pm »

Uhh, why don't you just Recruit them, and then designate them to sit in the same square, then channel all around them? Eventually they starve/die of thirst/go crazy/etc. If you need to later you can build a floor there.

Lazureus

• Bay Watcher
  • Perfection is Flawed
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2008, 11:43:23 pm »

Uhh, why don't you just Recruit them, and then designate them to sit in the same square, then channel all around them? Eventually they starve/die of thirst/go crazy/etc. If you need to later you can build a floor there.

Cause I try not to recruit dwarves just to get them to do something I want.  It is why using the recruit option totally slipped my mind when listing the way I do it.
Past modding projects:
Just when I thought I couldn't despise him any more... He finds a whole new and undiscovered way!!

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2008, 03:04:14 pm »

You guys lost my point entirely eh?

I do NOT want to kill them off. Simply because I don't want to fiddle around with starting skill points and such.

If somebody could just mod the file for me please, that'd rock. Like I said, Tweak is out of my means.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2008, 03:52:48 pm »

Mod which file? There's none to do it.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Lazureus

• Bay Watcher
  • Perfection is Flawed
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2008, 05:17:41 pm »

You guys lost my point entirely eh?

I do NOT want to kill them off. Simply because I don't want to fiddle around with starting skill points and such.

If somebody could just mod the file for me please, that'd rock. Like I said, Tweak is out of my means.

The only way to do it is to use Tweak. Since you said that you cannot use tweak, then you must kill the 6 off to begin the Hermit Challenge.

It's one or the other. unless you want to program a new tool that does exactly what tweak does.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2008, 05:19:54 pm by Lazureus »
Past modding projects:

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2008, 09:13:55 am »

I would assume someone could tweak it and then upload it so I could download it.

Oh well... Time to turn off immigration and find a creative way to kill them off.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Mohreb el Yasim

• Bay Watcher
  • ♫♪♫♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2008, 09:21:37 am »

we can have less then 7 dwarfes with tweak? since when? i tryed that befor but DF just frezes down if i try to embark with less then 7 dwarf (more is not a problem)
Mohreb el Yasim

GENERATION 24:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experime

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2008, 09:41:08 am »

It crashed for me when I tried it too :).

Also, Yanlin, Tweak does not change the files in ANY way, it's called a "memory" hack program for purpose: it tweaks the memory of the current computer only while the game files are unaffected.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository
Pages: [1] 2