Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [40c] Reclaiming walled off part, undigable black space? (possible spoiler)  (Read 2091 times)

Vaftrudner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hello there,

This is a rather odd problem. I had a fort that got run over by demons, I tried reclaiming it, got 70 dwarves with me and succeeded in cleaning out the fortress. This was at a terrible cost though, half the dwarves died and the other half were so miserable they eventually descended into madness. I tried reclaiming it again but got the same tantrum spiral from dwarves dying at the hands of batmen, giant cave spiders and whatnot. So with one of my last sane dwarves, I walled off the only stair leading down to the catacombs of my fortress (two very heavily dug out low z levels including the pits, where most of the monsters were), so that the next reclaiming party would clean up the place easily. I thought that I would take ridicilously good care of my dwarves and send them down into the bad parts when everyone was ecstatic and had plenty of good stuff to keep their minds occupied.

This went well and my dwarves are happily running around doing their jobs. But I couldn't see any of the corridors below the walled off stair - I assumed the game would treat them as a hidden cave. So finally I was ready to deconstruct the wall and head down to the pits again, but when the wall was deconstructed there was.. nothing. I could see the down stair that was under the wall, but to the left of the stairs were only black space instead of walls, and on the z level below the down stairs I couldn't see anything. Thinking that I may have to dig into the "cave", I tried digging into the catacombs from a different direction, but when hitting the previously dug out corridors, my miners refuse to dig, giving me the reason "Canceled digging downward stair - Could not find path".

This is what it looks like. The parts that are black in the middle of my designations are where I ordered an up stair to be dug (there is a down stair above it), and I know for a fact that I had a tunnel there before.

I hope that I'm making the problem clear, although it's quite hard to explain. To put it simply, I get undiggable black space where there should be a gigantic system of tunnels dug by previous owners. Does anyone have any idea what causes this and what can be done? I want to get back to my sweet, sweet adamantine :)
« Last Edit: September 01, 2008, 02:25:21 pm by Vaftrudner »

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [40c] Reclaiming walled off part, undigable black space? (possible spoiler)
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2008, 12:30:45 pm »

oh yeah, this happened sometime in previous versions in other circumstances.  basically you cant designate to dig there because its already dug.  once you get there, you should gain LOS to it and it should be revealed as open space or whatever is there.

the bug is either that its not revealed to you now, or that it should let you designate things that you think are solid rock but which are actually not.  take your pick.

either way, you should be fine once you get there.  you might even be able to see the layout of the area if you designate an entire large block and see which parts are not designated.

Vaftrudner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2008, 12:35:32 pm »

Ok, got it. When digging into the area from the side instead of from above I revealed the place, and now there's no problem. Not a critical bug, I can't see this being a common problem, but it's good to know ;)

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2008, 07:16:16 pm »

Yeah, it's supposed to be hidden behind the wall, but I just tested a small hallway now and it doesn't do the reveal like it's supposed to when the wall is removed.  The pathing error probably comes from the game being confused about hidden areas being adjacent to unhidden areas (which should never happen).
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2008, 09:00:24 pm »

The pathing error probably comes from the game being confused about hidden areas being adjacent to unhidden areas (which should never happen).

Only in Dwarf Fortress.

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2008, 09:52:58 pm »

I had a similar oddity in my current fort(which seems to attract weirdness like nothing else).  I had tried making a well setup by building Ice walls right underneath my magma pool(which didn't work).  Then I got into a tantrum spiral and abandoned.

On reclaim, the space right under those walls was hidden until I dug out one of the walls.
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

Vaftrudner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2008, 08:51:33 pm »

Yeah, it's supposed to be hidden behind the wall, but I just tested a small hallway now and it doesn't do the reveal like it's supposed to when the wall is removed.  The pathing error probably comes from the game being confused about hidden areas being adjacent to unhidden areas (which should never happen).
Oh by the way, this is the same fortress, Barbvessels, as the one with the never-rotting corpse and the corrupted save file I just sent you. This world was cursed from the beginning, I think :)