Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

This game of Multiworld Madness has grown too large for me to handle. What would you have me do?

Muster up remaining strength and complete the current chapter. Bring the game to a logical close, then reboot it.
- 32 (37.2%)
Same as 1, but a whole new game will be started instead, still Multiworld, but no longer Madness.
- 9 (10.5%)
Get just this last turn done and reboot the game. No point wasting energy if updating takes so long.
- 31 (36%)
Get the last turn done and start a new game project.
- 14 (16.3%)

Total Members Voted: 86

Pages: 1 ... 384 385 [386] 387 388 ... 409

Author Topic: RTD - Multiworld Madness! Final Update: Parts 1 and 2, out of ~4.  (Read 404227 times)

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: RTD - Multiworld Madness Turn 172. Calm after the storm.
« Reply #5775 on: June 06, 2010, 11:21:00 pm »

You could try a series of 5-word sentences each describing a different scene...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #5776 on: June 07, 2010, 05:35:58 pm »

It's a bird! It's a plane! It's a turn!

------------      
Turn 173      
------------      
Spoiler: Actions (click to show/hide)
------------      
Spoiler: Rolls (click to show/hide)
----------------      
Wayside V, temporary camp some distance north of "Andrea's Furnace".      

Casually glancing aside as he fixes the blocked arteries in his leg, Boksi notices Neo picking up the barely-conscious clanner and rolling him over for no apparent reason.   

- What'cha doin? Need help?   
   - Nah, just strippin' this nei'kari 'fore he wakes up.   

Neo proceeds to pull the cooling jacket off the clanner, followed by his shirt, his boots, finally stopping at the military greaves and the few items of equipment they contain. Totalling three items of useless clothing, a small laser pistol, a mean-looking whip, and the cooling jacket, the spoils leave Neo a little underwhelmed. He considers performing an even more thorough search, but the clan mechwarrior's dignity is saved by Janna's appearance. Walking up to the clanner, she spits on him and, adding "This is more than you deserve, bastard!", savagely kicks him in the face with her boot, still bearing a fresh splatter of Simon's blood. Losing a few teeth and his nose's internal structure, the clanner blanks out. Neo smirks and gives Janna a thumbs-up.   

- Harsh. Brutal. Karma-riffic. We still need him for interrogation though, so I guess that's enough.   
   - Just don't tell me you plan to keep this guy...   
   - Who knows? We're a democracy here. Just don't forget to cast your vote.   

Neo winks at Janna and continues examining his spoils. The whip proves to be particularly interesting, and soon the Mii'Ari is completely consumed by the curious weapon. Leaving him with the unconscious pilot, Janna and Boksi walk back to the rest of the crew. They see Korora and LASD stand near the mangled remains of the clanner's mech, calling everyone to attention, and quickly run to see what it's all about.   

- Ladies and gentlemen, may I have your attention please! LASD, as usual, makes a persuasive speech without even trying. I would like to call upon your help in an important endeavor. Our robotic comrade here has suffered some serious damage, and I was just about to repair him, when we suddenly had a mutual idea. As you all know, we are about to face some serious opponents. Opponents piloting these battlemechs, and many dozens of them. Our best chance of winning would be not to fight at all, but this does not mean we don't have to be prepared. Therefore, I and Korora together have formulated a plan. A plan that will provide us with the concentrated strength we all need to defeat these mechs. We need to upgrade Korora!   

Half-expecting some sort of responce, LASD held a pause. Silence fell. Many interested looks forced him to conclude his oratory performance with a final statement.   

- I cannot hope to perform all the upgrades by myself, there is too much to do. But with the help from all of you, we will be able to bring ourselves one step closer to winning this challenge. Now, the sacramental. Who's with me?!   

Without much hesitation, Frelock and Qwer'Ty raised their hands. Janna tried to exchange looks with Boksi, failed miserably, and finally raised her own hand as well. Boksi's voice sounded from the empty space beside her.   

- You can't see it, but I'm also raising mine. When do we start?   
   - We've already started. Let's do it!   

And the work began. Six people in total, Korora included, have begun what seemed to be impossible - not only repair the mighty robot's ghastly injuries in the field, but also upgrade him - and it all would have to be done before another Clan patrol spots them, leaving them barely an hour. One incredibly hectic hour.   

First, using his good arm, Korora mercilessly guts the downed Clan mech. Janna and Qwer'Ty do their best to provide directions, trying to make the most out of the mangled wreck of the machine. With reckless disregard for safety, the idle Fusion XL reactor is ripped from its bay and thrown to the ground, too big to be fitted into Korora's slim frame. Ammunition banks, still safely protected by their Cellular Ammunition Storage Equipment or CASE, are carefully set down next  to the slowly forming heap of armor sheets, joints, actuators, and assorted endo-steel bars that formed the "skeleton" of the mech. Laid down in a separate spot are massive coils of black wire - myomer fibers that once were the muscles of the great machine. The weapons - two Autocannons, two LRM-10 racks and two SRM-6 racks - are handled with great care. Boksi works his halberd with great skill, cutting out required components that Frelock carefully transports with his TK field to designated areas on the ground, where LASD dutifully numbers them with a handy piece of chalk from his toolbox. Soon, the once-great Ebon Jaguar is reduced to a barely recognizable carcass of bent endo-steel girders and electronics. With twenty minutes passed and the first phase complete, Korora lies down.   

- Do robots need anaesthesia? I'm just wondering.   
   - That depends. Does this hurt?   

Happy to oblige, Boksi stabs his halberd into the area under Korora's chestplate, leaving deep gashes on the machinery within. "Well?"   
   Korora frowns.   

- Technically, no. Ah well, I guess that answers the question. Let's get it on then!   

The team moves in. Seeing that repairing Korora's left arm is pointless, LASD and Janna order Boksi to sever both arms at the shoulders, and proceed to craft new ones from the materials donated by the late Ebon Jaguar. Janna points out that shoulders make great places for mounted long-range missiles, and Frelock moves the great armored missile racks into place, serving as the team's heavy lifter while Korora is disarmed. Qwer'Ty does his best to provide an opinion on how to use the available materials in the most optimal way, and no more than ten minutes later, Korora's steel grip becomes endo-steel, hardened with the best of the Clan alloys. For the rest of the hour, the camp is filled with sounds of metal being bashed, cut, and ground until finally there is quiet. In the eerie silence, LASD's voice victoriously proclaims:   

- Ladies and gentlemen! We are proud to present to you... Korora 2.0!!"   

Standing up, Korora marvels at the ease with which his limbs now move. His armor has been fashioned in the style of a samurai, additional plates covering his head, shoulders and thighs. The only still-recognizable part, the golden chestplate, has been firmly welded over a thick sheet of ferro-fibrous armor, providing protection for the massive ammunition banks of the two autocannons, fitted on gimbals in his lower torso. Two LRM-10 missile racks stick out like pauldrons, complementing the thick shoulderpads designed to aid in melee combat against battlemechs. Even his legs were repaired, with the Ebon Jaguar's knee actuators that miraculously survived the explosion relatively unscathed. They even had to take materials out of the Hauler's frame to reinforce the legs, minimizing the chance of accidental overstress. As he stands tall over everyone else present, the team greets him with cries of joy.   

But then shocking news quickly bring back the state of alertness into everyone's mind. Unnoticed in the engineering turmoil, the clanner pilot has escaped! Nearby, Neo lies face down in the dirt and a pool of blood, his spoils taken and a large gash cleft into the back of his head. Alarmed, Frelock quickly flies to him, but at least there he finds relief. The skull of the Mii'Ari was too difficult to crack, and Neo is only unconscious, though undoubtedly left for dead. Nevertheless, the fact that there is an armed Clanner on the loose around them makes tensions in the camp rise. Watchful eyes scan the plain around the camp, reddish clay turning bright ochre in the shining sun's rays.   
------------      
Background:   [6][3] Watchful eyes watch, but nothing is to be seen. The blasted clanner is either a mile away right now, or hiding somewhere. The wreckages of the other Clan mechs can be seen a large distance to the north. They don't seem to move.   
------------      
Environment:   Noon. Thin clouds partially obscure the sun. The wind is faint and cool.   
------------      
Spoiler: Free items (click to show/hide)
------------      
Artifacts:      
Spoiler: The Ashcraver (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: The GIMA (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Rad-Man (click to show/hide)
---------      
Spoiler: Locations (click to show/hide)
---------      
Vehicles:      
Spoiler: Wolf Trap (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Heavy Cargo Hauler (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: New Mech (click to show/hide)

------------      
Character Status:      
Quote from: Boksi
   In the temporary camp area.   
Health:   Unharmed.   
State:   Standing. Feeling of Emptiness(-1 all ring power use).   
Equipment:   Darkfire halberd (right hand), backpack, Steel full helm, Karl Moebius armor jacket, jean shorts, underwear.   
Spoiler: Inventory: (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Abilities: (click to show/hide)
Quote from: Korora
   Near the Ebon Jaguar.   
Health:   Undamaged.   
State:   Standing, Fine.   
Equipment:   The Ashcraver(right hand), 2x Ultra AC/2 Autocannon, 2x LRM-10 rack.   
Quote from: Frelock
   Near the Ebon Jaguar.   
Health:   Skin severely broken up.   
State:   Standing. In mild pain. Protected by TK Bubble.   
Equipment:   Shortbow (body), plant vine necklace, backpack, silk robe, leather sandals.   
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5777 on: June 07, 2010, 05:39:35 pm »

Quote from: Kashyyk
   Near the Ebon Jaguar.   
Health:   Broken up into pieces. Right upper/left lower legs, right arm, lower torso broken off. Face broken, lower jaw broken apart.   
State:   On the ground, in pieces, unconscious(-2).   
Equipment:   None.   
Quote from: Rooster
   Near the Hauler.   
Health:   Shell chipped in several places.   
State:   Standing, Fine.   
Equipment:   Studded leather armor.   
Quote from: LASD
   Near the Ebon Jaguar.   
Health:   Bruised, battered, minor burns, numerous minor lacerations. Small scars in places. Minor bleeding.   
State:   Standing.   
Equipment:   Aluminium Riot shield (left hand), Rad-Man (right hand), Iron chain cuirass, Iron chain gloves, Iron chain greaves, Iron low boots, Handmade suit, underwear.   
Quote from: Jay Kayell
   Near the New Mech.   
State:   Standing. Slightly dizzy. Pain in the (left) butt. (subsided for now)   
Equipment:   Heavy laser pistol (right hand), Backpack, plate cuirass, infantry armor vest, warm clothes, warm boots, white shorts.   
Quote from: Zako
   Out in the field near the Ebon Jaguar.   
Health:   No injuries.   
State:   Standing, In pain (-1/-1).   
Quote from: Neo1096
   Out in the field.   
Health:   Bruised and scratched, light wounds on left leg and right shoulder. Large gash on the back of the head. Light bleeding.   
State:   On the ground. Unconscious (-2).   
Equipment:   Heavy Laser Handgun (right hand), Gnarled steel staff (left hand), Backpack, infantry armor vest, cloth jacket with pockets, underwear.   
Quote from: Qwertyuiopas
   Near the Hauler.   
State:   Standing. Fine.   
Equipment:   MRE pack (right hand), flashlight (left hand), warm clothing, warm boots.   
NPC Status:      
Quote from: Giant bat 1
   Near the Hauler.   
Health:   Undetermined, probably Unharmed.   
State:   Presumed to be standing, Fine.   
Quote from: Simon "Jackhammer" Williams
   Near the Hauler.   
Health:   Dead. Upper body hideously mangled, large part of the head missing.   
State:   Dead, as per the above.   
Equipment:   Heavy Infantry Machinegun (both hands), Infantry Flamer (on back), Frag Grenades (on belt), military backpack, Heavy Trooper Suit, Heavy Trooper Helmet, Heavy Boots.   
Quote from: Janna "Redline" Ryzhova
   Near the Hauler.   
Health:   Scarred all over. Minor burns, bruises.    
State:   Standing, Mild pain.   
Equipment:   Vibroblade Longsword (right hand), small backpack, Flak Jacket, Tool Belt, Warm clothing, Warm boots.   

Enemy Status:      
Quote from: Clanner Pilot
   Location unknown.   
Health:   Last known: Bruised and scratched, broken nose, some missing teeth, light bleeding.   
State:   Unknown.   
Equipment:   Presumed: Cooling jacket, casual clothing, laser pistol, whip.   

Quote from: Clanner Mech 1
Health:   Severely damaged   
Equipment:   Unknown   
Quote from: Clanner Mech 2
Health:   Severely damaged   
Equipment:   Unknown   
Quote from: Clan Ebon Jaguar Mech
Health:   Mostly disassembled. Irrepairable.   

=========================
The worst part about this nice turn is that I'll have to redraw my sketch of Korora.

Also, I realised I haven't watched the A-Team in a few years, so decided in favor of a more straightforward description. Let's just hope there are no errors.

Oh, and background, again. Frelock and Zako succeed in their actions, Kashyyk and Jay Kayell don't. All story-participants in the Great Repairing got relevant skill increases. LASD, you may rejoice now. :)

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

Jay Kayell

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Lazy Man
    • View Profile
Re: RTD - Multiworld Madness Turn 173. Welcome back, the Jolly Steel Giant!
« Reply #5778 on: June 07, 2010, 06:03:12 pm »

Jealous of the others' recent engineering success I try to build a powered battlearmor for myself out of parts of my own mech. Add as many weapons to it as I can possibly fit.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 06:09:23 pm by Jay Kayell »
Decapitation - enjoy the difference

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #5779 on: June 07, 2010, 08:13:23 pm »

Well, I was hoping more for a better hauler, but that would only have helped movement, so I guess this is better.

>From the descriptive text, though not the statuses, I'll Combine the discarded Fusion XL reactor and some of the truck into a lightweight rapid transport, preferably large enough to carry at least the part of the group that can't travel very fast on it's own.
Eh?
Eh!

NoctisVampire

• Bay Watcher
  • Has withdrawn from society.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5780 on: June 07, 2010, 09:17:38 pm »

Well, I was hoping more for a better hauler, but that would only have helped movement, so I guess this is better.

>From the descriptive text, though not the statuses, I'll Combine the discarded Fusion XL reactor and some of the truck into a lightweight rapid transport, preferably large enough to carry at least the part of the group that can't travel very fast on it's own.
That would make a wheeled XL reactor! Those things are not small...actually AFAIK a large part of the torso space of all BattleMechs is dedicated to the giant reactor that powers them, especially XL ones, although they are light, they are big :D

Also...from the description, I believe Korora now looked like some sort of mini Awesome-Catapult mix ;)
AC/2 and LRMs make good long-range support fire.

Great job you've done here!
« Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 09:27:43 pm by NoctisVampire »

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5781 on: June 08, 2010, 12:26:35 am »

Let's just hope you don't find yourself running out of ammo on a world that doesn't have clan technology...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5782 on: June 08, 2010, 12:38:40 am »

You'll also need an electric engine. The truck is diesel. If you need transportation, you'll be happy to know you don't need anything much better than a good mech pilot and some makeshift platforms - I can likely give it away by this point that your captured mech is a Fire Moth.

And yeah, hehe, awesomepult. Though when it comes to looks, I think I'd rather say "a symmetric Hellhound". Or maybe Wolverine.

ninja edit: well, if they could happen upon a standard Fusion Engine, they could at least try to fit it to Korora so he can make use of PPCs or lasers. Even if they don't, I'm sure they'll think of something.

Frelock

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5783 on: June 08, 2010, 02:27:13 am »

He's got the ashcarver, what more does he need?  Humongous Mecha + Giant Sword = Win

But poor old Kashyyk has been trying for several turns now; he needs a helping hand.
Help put kahsyyk together.
All generalizations are false....including this one.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5784 on: June 08, 2010, 02:45:29 am »

Never Bring A Sword To A Gunfight? Yeah, there's no trope for that, but I thought that one was rather obvious.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5785 on: June 08, 2010, 06:00:48 am »

But poor old Kashyyk has been trying for several turns now; he needs a helping hand.
Help put kahsyyk together.

Cheers! I was getting a little bored of lying in pieces. But once again, I will attempt to wake up and pull myself together.

btw: If anybody wants to do an awesome upgrade on me too, I won't say no.

maxicaxi

• Bay Watcher
  • Why? I have no idea.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5786 on: June 08, 2010, 07:07:18 am »

now he can use the ash craver as a dagger :P

I have absolutely no idea what's going on in this fort any more. Migrants arrive, they die for some reason, the fort is flooded for another reason, then dwarves go mad, more dwarves die and I'm just laughing in my distress.
you cannot defeat the potato.

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5787 on: June 08, 2010, 09:08:33 am »

Shapeshift into normal human form and then increase my pain control.

I only got 25% for a positive overshot? Come on, don't be cheap.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5788 on: June 08, 2010, 11:37:41 am »

It's a pretty big skill, since it'll mean you'll get much less penalty from all sorts of wounds and ailments. Also, an overshot isn't a perfect application, so it's less effective than a perfect 5. 25% is decent, I think.

And just so I get that right - pain "control", not pain "resistance"? One saves you from transforming pains, the other is the pain reduction skill.

LASD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5789 on: June 08, 2010, 12:15:04 pm »

Ooh, that was cool. It actually worked.

And Kashyyk, sure I can try to get second time lucky: Encouraged by the recent success, I'll head on over to Kashyyk to improve him with scattered steel parts.

Oh yeah, if you don't manage to do anything major with the Reactor, I'll use that to supercharge the Rad-Man next turn or something.
Pages: 1 ... 384 385 [386] 387 388 ... 409