Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

This game of Multiworld Madness has grown too large for me to handle. What would you have me do?

Muster up remaining strength and complete the current chapter. Bring the game to a logical close, then reboot it.
- 32 (37.2%)
Same as 1, but a whole new game will be started instead, still Multiworld, but no longer Madness.
- 9 (10.5%)
Get just this last turn done and reboot the game. No point wasting energy if updating takes so long.
- 31 (36%)
Get the last turn done and start a new game project.
- 14 (16.3%)

Total Members Voted: 86

Pages: 1 ... 378 379 [380] 381 382 ... 409

Author Topic: RTD - Multiworld Madness! Final Update: Parts 1 and 2, out of ~4.  (Read 404701 times)

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.

Great! A success!

I think I'll take this moment of rest to reflect on myself, looking for any traces of undesireable diseases while my body rests. I still can't do very much for the ongoing battle, so I'll leave it to the more adaquately skilled...
Eh?
Eh!

Schilcote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Seems like the rad-man should be weaponizable. At the very least you could give someone opaque eyes (very, very bad cataracts). With a few thousand watts of directed microwave energy you could probably cook both the clanner and his mech (ever put a CD in a microwave oven?).
WHY DID YOU HAVE ME KICK THEM WTF I DID NOT WANT TO BE SHOT AT.
I dunno, you guys have survived Thomas the tank engine, golems, zombies, nuclear explosions, laser whales, and being on the same team as ragnarock.  I don't think something as tame as a world ending rain of lava will even slow you guys down.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile

If it can withstand a PPC bolt and fight in space, it can handle being microwaved. Battlemechs are not to be underestimated. Unarmored targets on the other hand...

And Frelock, - http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0006.html :)
« Last Edit: April 07, 2010, 12:15:01 am by Sean Mirrsen »
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Schilcote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

If it can withstand a PPC bolt and fight in space, it can handle being microwaved. Battlemechs are not to be underestimated. Unarmored targets on the other hand...

Well, they could try higher wavelengths, more penetrating radiation. Or, they could use infrared radiation and overheat the mech and blind it's cameras (assuming they're CCDs like we have today, they can see IR). Microwaves are not to be underestimated either, though if it's designed for spaceflight it's probably already got serious radiation shielding on it. Who knows, perhaps the pilot was eating grapes...
I dunno, you guys have survived Thomas the tank engine, golems, zombies, nuclear explosions, laser whales, and being on the same team as ragnarock.  I don't think something as tame as a world ending rain of lava will even slow you guys down.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

And also keep in mind, these things are also airtight, and are (mostly presumed to be) equipped to keep the pilot alive in the cockpit in case of a reactor breach that'd flood the outside with radiation. Also, you be thinking a tad too big - the Rad-Man doesn't have nearly enough energy to heat up a mech, it'd need a reactor itself.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.

It could still be used to jam radio...

Or better yet, override the radio with annoying music.
Eh?
Eh!

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hey, macarena!

Or is that too cruel?

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile

Hey, macarena!

Or is that too cruel?
NOTHING IS TOO CRUEL! GO MY SON, AND KILL THEM WITH YOUR ANNOYING SALSA MUSIC!
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

Frelock

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Philosopher
    • View Profile

And also keep in mind, these things are also airtight, and are (mostly presumed to be) equipped to keep the pilot alive in the cockpit in case of a reactor breach that'd flood the outside with radiation. Also, you be thinking a tad too big - the Rad-Man doesn't have nearly enough energy to heat up a mech, it'd need a reactor itself.

Well, first off, just being "immune to radiation" usually refers to high-frequency radiation, like gamma rays, as well as having some resistance to alpha and beta particles.  Lower frequency, like infared, micro, and radio waves, are usually able to pass through such protection.  Hence why a concrete bunker may be "radiation proof" but you can still get a radio signal from inside.

Also, microwaves normally aren't damaging at all, except for a very specific set of wavelengths.  Your standard microwave produces these wavelengths, and they have the unique property that they're able to impart vast quantities of energy to water.  Hence, a glass cup won't get heated much in a microwave, even after a long time, but a cup filled with water will quickly reach boiling.  Your microwave keeps this radiation inside by using a specific mesh (you know the little circles in the window?) which just happens to correspond with the size of the microwaves trying to get through.  This interrupts the waves, keeping them safely inside.  However, this mesh would not protect against higher frequency radiation (at least not much) because the mesh is the wrong size.  Basically, you'd need the mech to be specifically armored against this type of microwave radiation, which isn't all that crazy, considering.

As to the power of the rad-man, you're thinking too big, Sean.  You don't need much energy to boil the water in an average human brain, just a finely-tuned force.

Finally, something that's always bugged me, I don't see how it would be possible that any ship could have a cockpit the pilot could see through, that would also be immune to lasers.  After all, it's just visible light.  I mean, it would be possible to have a polarizing shield, but that could be countered by simply rotating the laser.  And you couldn't get something in the way of the laser just as it's coming, because it's traveling at the speed of light, so there's no early detection possible, hence no active defense.

Remind me never to get in conversations about scifi tech again; I always over-think things.
All generalizations are false....including this one.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The answer to the last one - the 'mech cockpits aren't immune to lasers! Or anything else, for that matter. The actual cockpit is there so that a critically damaged mech can still be piloted if its peripheral cameras (that project a 360 degree panoramic view onto a 180 degree viewscreen in front of the pilot, in the more advanced models) are blown out. The only protection of the pilot is the relatively small size of the undefended gap compared to the mech, and the fact that most mechs in Battletech aren't high-tech, and aiming systems that can facilitate hitting a two-foot-wide slit on the armor from half a mile are very rare.

Schilcote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You mean the cockpits are glass? I didn't know that! I don't think the rad-man would have much trouble at all cooking a pilot's eyes out (wasn't it talking to spaceships a few turns ago?) through anything that isn't metal. The reason your microwave doesn't give you cataracts is because of the grate Frelock mentioned. It's kind of neat actually, when microwaves strike metal they produce a significant charge on that metal, which in turn creates a magnetic field. The magnetic field is actually strong enough that microwaves bounce right off of it. I always thought that was cool how it was self powering like that.

LASD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Boiling brains and eyes is pretty clearly direct harm, which would make me lose some abilities. Or would it? The god of peace isn't really around. Though as long as the powers work I guess she has some contact to us and could know when the pact is broken. Nah, don't want to risk it, paralysing is pretty handy.

The other option is have someone else boil the brains, but I'm not really sure they can, though I can't remember the Rad-Man being attuned explicitly for my mental control.

Anyway, while we ponder this my action is extreme radio signal disturbance! Annoying songs, loud noises and subliminal messages, anything it takes to make the mech less harmful.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile

Grand Funk Railroad.  I'm Your Captain/Closer to Home.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Nivim

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the asylum forgotten? Are they still the same?
    • View Profile

Frelock, why don't you heal four people in range at once? You do have that power. And supposedly you only get experience when you stress yourself.
 Also, LASD, why don't you send a virus to the clanner that completely disables his mech?
Imagine a cool peice of sky-blue and milk-white marble about 3cm by 2cm and by 0.5cm, containing a tiny 2mm malacolite crystal. Now imagine the miles of metamorphic rock it's embedded in that no pick or chisel will ever touch. Then, imagine that those miles will melt back into their mantle long before any telescope even refracts an image of their planet. The watchers will be so excited to have that image too.

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile

Gah! There go my numbers advantage...

Activate shapeshifting on Zero to shift him into a normal human form. Zako 1 lands on the cockpit and see's if he can make a hole in the glass. If so, he then sucks the air out of the cockpit in a vacuum and sufforcates the clanner!
Pages: 1 ... 378 379 [380] 381 382 ... 409