Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: is this the right room  (Read 792 times)

illiterate

• Bay Watcher
  • [THRIVES_ON_OBSCURITY]
    • View Profile
is this the right room
« on: September 01, 2008, 07:31:49 am »

for an argument? 

Err..  I mean the right room to discuss developing plug-ins for DF? 

I have an idea for a helper application, doesn't seem to be covered by what's currently available.

I don't want to give away what I'm thinking of doing, but I am wanting to get some information on what code is already available so I'm not re-inventing the wheel. 

Essentially what I'm needing at this point is the capacity to read whatever is currently displaying on the screen.  I see the tools for reading the memory buffer, and may use that, but my goal is to take as little processing power as necessary, while still being able to read the display.  80x25x25FPS (human readable) is about 50kB/s, probably double that because each character has 8 bits of color as well as the ascii code, more than I'd like, but that's what I'm wanting to target.  If I can shave off that by reading memory buffer let me know. 
"I accidentally dislodged a single tile at ground level while trimming the hill around the fortress entrance, and it punched through a lava moat, a gem stockpile and a bone stockpile before coming to a halt in someone's bedroom.  The bedroom's owner, a planter, was in bed at the time, and he got up and walked to the door just in time to get a coating of lava, gems, bones and scorched legendary miner chunks."  -NCarter

mizipzor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Blog
Re: is this the right room
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2008, 10:16:43 am »

Youre at the right place, yes. And there exist some tools for reading the memory, check out the memory hacking article on the wiki.  :)