Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Giant Cave Spider  (Read 3759 times)

Relee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Giant Cave Spider
« on: August 31, 2008, 07:22:01 pm »

I'd only heard of these beasts in myths and legends, but I just embarked on a hill where I found some "Giant Cave Spider Silk Web" inside a bottomless pit.

It's pretty far down there. Can/will the spider climb out and devour the world? Can I build cage traps and lure it out of the chasm and train it to guard my fort? Will it eat the herd of Naked Mole Dogs that also spawned on the same layer? I just noticed there was more webbing on a higher z level. Is it possible there are two Giant Cave Spiders? Or more? Oh god what if there are invisible giant cave spiders in other parts of the map than the chasm? We are so screwed?

This is going to be fun.
- Relee the Squirrel --

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones
Re: Giant Cave Spider
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2008, 07:58:22 pm »

Well, the easiest way to find out what a GCS is like is to just play on adventurer mode for a while.  ;)

But, to answer your questions: the GSC is extremely dangerous not because of any great fighting prowess, but because it has the ability to incapacitate just about anything thrown at it with its webs. Its legs are also mercilessly effective at being 'disposable limbs'. I've had fights with GSCs before where I hacked off four or five legs before finally making anything close to progress.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2008, 08:01:35 pm »

Only reason you can see the web is one of those moledogs running into it and getting devoured. They're invisible by default

They can't climb so you'll be fine. Just make sure not to tame it, they supposedly stop spewing web. Don't know if they could be coaxed into it by using kobolds

Hamster Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2008, 02:41:08 am »

I once tried to make a Giant Cave Spider silk factory by capturing it in a cage trap (yes, you can capture them) and then dumping it into a central room with a long corridor on one side, with a door controlled by a pressure plate and switch on either side of the corridor.

I put a cat on a chain on either end, and when it ran towards it, it would get locked in the corridor. I then put a creature on a chain in the big chamber, and opened the door so it would spew web at it, and then hopefully trigger the door again before it could run up and kill it.

It worked great in theory. Problem was, it was too fast so it kept killing anything I put on a chain. I'm thinking next time I'll try putting a fortification or a grate, see if it shoots web through that.
So there's that, as well. It looks like the only chronic problems that water can't cure are nausea and cave spider bites.
Which, coincidentally enough, can be cured by magma.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2008, 02:48:10 am »

I once tried to make a Giant Cave Spider silk factory by capturing it in a cage trap (yes, you can capture them) and then dumping it into a central room with a long corridor on one side, with a door controlled by a pressure plate and switch on either side of the corridor.

I put a cat on a chain on either end, and when it ran towards it, it would get locked in the corridor. I then put a creature on a chain in the big chamber, and opened the door so it would spew web at it, and then hopefully trigger the door again before it could run up and kill it.

It worked great in theory. Problem was, it was too fast so it kept killing anything I put on a chain. I'm thinking next time I'll try putting a fortification or a grate, see if it shoots web through that.

From what I've heard, it won't shoot webs at things unless it can actually path to them.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2008, 02:52:00 am »

hey, if you can make 1 kitten equal some GCS silk, go for it, that sounds like a mighty fine tradeoff.

jester

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarvern Survialist Nutter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2008, 05:00:18 am »

if there are 2 levels of GCS silk you have 2 spiders.  be careful these bastards are truely savage.   very hard to trap, fast as hell and meaner than a bulldog with aids.  I lost a fortress to tantrum cycles after loosing 18 dwarves in my GCS trapping project
If life gives you lemons, burn them.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2008, 05:07:00 am »

If you can start BREEDING GCS.... well, you might just become a legend.

I find that live sacrifices and large rooms are the best for GCS silk farming.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Yag Alone

• Bay Watcher
  • Grumpy old fart
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2008, 05:14:48 am »

If you can start BREEDING GCS.... well, you might just become a legend.

I find that live sacrifices and large rooms are the best for GCS silk farming.

By default, Giant Cave Horrors does not breed... It can be quickly modified in the raws however, done it for my current themed fortress.

also... they are tamable by the dungeon master. Too bad you can't train them to be war giant cave goblinmunchers. Tame giant cave spider + goblin POW may be a good way to get some silk without any risk for your dwarves

Danaru

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% Manly
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2008, 10:40:54 am »

has anyone had the balls do add the civ tag to GCSs?

"I" certainly don't.
Odd how "Experiment" in DF is often synonymous with "Raging inferno of death and dispair"

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2008, 01:53:36 pm »

By default, Giant Cave Horrors does not breed... It can be quickly modified in the raws however, done it for my current themed fortress.

How do you do that? And how do you get a breeding pair?

Personally I just made them immortal in case I ever find one so it won't die off

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2008, 03:58:51 am »

"I" certainly don't.

Dwarf Fortress rule 34:

If it's a way to kill everything, it has been done.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

The Grackle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2008, 06:18:34 am »

"I" certainly don't.

Yes.  They don't do well in world gen b/c all their cool powers don't help in the simplified world gen combat.  Or not as well as you'd expect.

Hamster Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2008, 01:06:56 pm »

From what I've heard, it won't shoot webs at things unless it can actually path to them.

They could path to it - the idea was that it would shoot web at it, run towards it, and in doing so hit a trigger that would close the doors and keep it from killing the sacrifice. Also it would make it so the room it just puked web all over was safe for my dwarves to actually harvest it.

But as I said, I wasn't able to quite get it to work right.
So there's that, as well. It looks like the only chronic problems that water can't cure are nausea and cave spider bites.
Which, coincidentally enough, can be cured by magma.

biomatter

• Bay Watcher
  • crying in the corner
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2008, 09:24:09 pm »

I think the best set-up would be a spiral controlled by channels. The GCS could path to the kitten, but it'd have to go quite the distance, hopefully shooting over the gap to the kitten. Then, the grates come up, or something, which saves the kitten, and you lure it to out (away, far, so you can repeat) with a symmetrical set-up on the other side. How about something like:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I think this is a great idea. I don't know if it's novel, but feedback would be nice.
Now you will know why you fear the night!
Pages: [1] 2