Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Giant Cave Spider  (Read 3760 times)

Yag Alone

• Bay Watcher
  • Grumpy old fart
    • View Profile
Re: Giant Cave Spider
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2008, 06:13:30 pm »

By default, Giant Cave Horrors does not breed... It can be quickly modified in the raws however, done it for my current themed fortress.

How do you do that? And how do you get a breeding pair?

Personally I just made them immortal in case I ever find one so it won't die off

To allows the breeding of the spiders, just look into the file named "creature_subterranean.txt", and add the following line under the description of the giant cave spiders :
   [CHILD:3][CHILDNAME:giant cave spider hatchling:giant cave spider hatchlings]

Getting a breeding pair is a bit more difficult... You can either hope you'll find a pair at your location (chasms or cave are mandatory if you want to have a chance of getting them), or... erm... cheat and create them yourself with one of the tool...

Hobgobwin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2008, 06:33:41 pm »

I think the best set-up would be a spiral controlled by channels. The GCS could path to the kitten, but it'd have to go quite the distance, hopefully shooting over the gap to the kitten. Then, the grates come up, or something, which saves the kitten, and you lure it to out (away, far, so you can repeat) with a symmetrical set-up on the other side. How about something like:
*code*
I think this is a great idea. I don't know if it's novel, but feedback would be nice.

It could work even better if there were cage traps on both paths so it shoots, runs, then captured in a cage you just rebuild in the center, if that works. Otherwise, it looks fine in theory. I'll have to try it when I get the chutzpah next to try caging one of those beasts.

Foa

• Bay Watcher
  • And I thought foxfire was stylish in winter.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2008, 06:33:59 pm »

I've farmed many animals, including ferals.

I have yet to farm a GCS, or a feral GCS at that.

Weev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2008, 10:51:23 pm »

With tamed creatures, could they in time, become pets?
Askeloth has adopted Urist McArachnaphobia, Clerk!
Oddly enough I find it weird that Dwarves currently cannot attain godhood.

MC Dirty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2008, 08:59:33 am »

I think that the pet-tag allows them to be tamable and become pets. But they don't adopt the dwarves, because they are not cats. But you can give a dwarf a giant cave spider pet. How cute. xD

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2008, 10:01:04 am »

Unless you make them vermin eaters.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Hamster Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2008, 02:52:05 pm »

I thought that Tamed GCS didn't shoot web at their enemies, just like tamed dragons didn't shoot fire. Confirm?
So there's that, as well. It looks like the only chronic problems that water can't cure are nausea and cave spider bites.
Which, coincidentally enough, can be cured by magma.
Pages: 1 [2]