Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Question on Wells, and Water pressure  (Read 1062 times)

Axe27

• Bay Watcher
  • Put down the crossbow
    • View Profile
Question on Wells, and Water pressure
« on: August 31, 2008, 07:18:07 pm »

Yo. I'm building a well to add to my fort on the interior. I've got the well, channeled so that the water flows in (From the river) and drops a Z-level down stairs, and then enters into a square area, and fills up. Now, what I'm worried about is the well pressurizing and becoming a geyser inside my fort, and become a source of endless funny.

Does water pressure allow it to travel up a Z-level?
« Last Edit: August 31, 2008, 07:22:59 pm by Axe27 »
And thus did the dream of dwarven antigravity fade away, not with a massive explosion or a flood of magma, but with a whimper.

I'm going to be depressed all day now.

Lalandrathon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Question on Wells, and Water pressure
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2008, 07:33:56 pm »

Yes, but due to the nature of how it works, a 1 z-level (not water level) difference should not cause flooding, I think. Though if water starts flowing into the river you may get into trouble.

The only way to be sure is to try it out, right? Also, shutoff switches are for pansies.

Proteus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2008, 08:01:07 pm »

AFAIK it will make a difference and flood the room as the watr will try to get to the same z-level as the surface of the brook.

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2008, 08:09:54 pm »

Fluids are nasty. Your water will flow to the level of the origional source -1 z-level. Wells, I believe, prevent the water from flowing up into the fort (or have in my fortresses)

Water ends more forts than any other source, even tantrums. Be very careful. You might want to build an emergency drain into your system.
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

Proteus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2008, 09:23:14 pm »

Fluids are nasty. Your water will flow to the level of the origional source -1 z-level. Wells, I believe, prevent the water from flowing up into the fort (or have in my fortresses)

I cannot confirm this, at least not for one of the last versions.
In that version I thought I could build my well room 1-2 z-levels below the surface of the brook (dunno exactly if it was 1 or 2 levels).
So I built a channel and well (as well as, of curse, a floodgate connected to a lever), opened the lever. Well, the next thing I see is the room with the well getting flooded. Despite at once ordering a dwarf to pull the lever to close the floodgate it was too late as at this time the room was completely flooded (fortunately I had built doors to prevent such a flooding from flooding my fortress ;) ) Afterwards I created a hole in the room one level above this and used this room as well room :D

Axe27

• Bay Watcher
  • Put down the crossbow
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2008, 10:32:36 pm »

Well, the well is on the same Z-level as the river, so I'm not sure. I've installed the proper drainage room, and doors, and floodgates, so that if there's a geyser effect, I can stop the flow of water, and reuse the rooms.

All I gotta do now is wait for the pig tails to grow so I can build the stupid thing.
And thus did the dream of dwarven antigravity fade away, not with a massive explosion or a flood of magma, but with a whimper.

Axe27

• Bay Watcher
  • Put down the crossbow
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2008, 11:36:52 pm »

Wew! It works. Everything is crystal. The cistern pressurized perfectly, and no water has come spewing up like a bat out of hell. The Well is active, and I feel happy.

Yay.

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2008, 11:54:50 pm »

Water will 'pressurize' when dropped Z-levels. The best way to avoid flooding your fort is to simply pump your water in from a screw pump on the same level as the destination area. Screw pumps automatically depressurize water, so there's never any danger of flooding (assuming you don't do something silly like mine into a water canal).

alphafalcon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2008, 06:55:09 pm »

I've got a well thats behaving very strange
it looks like this:
Code: [Select]
~~~_#<
     X    __
     X    __
     X___+__<- water stays here

~~ is the river (the actually filled square not the surface)
# are wall grates
X are up/down stairs
_ is dug-out
+ is a lever-controlled door

I expected to have to close the door quite quick after releasing the flood, but the water just flowed out of the tunnel and didnt rise even a single level. From what I've heard thats the behavior I'd expect from magma but not water...
Is this intended/normal?
Urist cancels write signature: Interrupted by DF Release