Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Perpetual Energy  (Read 8866 times)

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
Re: Perpetual Energy
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2008, 06:03:13 pm »

I've always seen people saying that, but I've NEVER had a place with 40 power windmills. And I always build windmills. Maybe I'm just unlucky :)
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

sjmarshy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2008, 06:07:35 pm »

The map I'm on at the moment has 40 powered windmills, very useful.

Align

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2008, 05:13:33 am »

I've never had a 20 power windmill...
My stray dogs often chase fire imps back into the magma pipe and then continue fighting while burning and drowning in the lava. Truly their loyalty knows no bounds, but perhaps it should.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2008, 03:29:02 pm »

Uh, shouldn't be that hard to get rid of perpetual energy. Do what works in real life - hike up power requirements for pumps. When steam engines were first invented, they were used to pump out water. The problem is not that water wheels are too strong, it's that pumps are too light. Most rivers should not be able to produce enough power to turn a series of water pumps.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Joseph Miles

• Bay Watcher
  • DF isn't a game, its a way of life!
    • View Profile
    • http://bugger92.proboards91.com/
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2008, 05:57:54 pm »

Surprised with the amount of support for this, just something that irked me a little bit.  When I remembered "Hey, I made that suggestion.." and went to check on it, I was amazed to see that there were 18 replies.
Cog - He's the new Urist.
Yes they are a bunch of drunken unstable retards, but they're MY drunken unstable retards, and I will take care of them.
It could be worse, that cat could be alive.

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2008, 10:47:54 pm »

we could start with nerfing perpetual motion...

SolarShado

• Bay Watcher
  • Psi-Blade => Your Back
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2008, 01:14:09 am »

Another thing to note is that pumps powered mechanically already have a slower output then a pump powered by a dwarf.  A dwarf powered pump uses the dwarfs skill to determine how fast it is pumping, and this makes a legendary pump operator do pumping about 5 times faster then a mecanical power source.  I never really checked what skill the pumping rate are equal at, but the difference is obvious when you have a legendary turn that pump.

This should probably be added to the wiki.
Avid (rabid?) Linux user. Preferred flavor: Arch

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2008, 04:06:58 am »

If you make waterwheels generate less energy, you won't get rid of perpetual motion machines - you'll just make them a lot bigger (i.e. 20 wheels to one pump)

Foa

• Bay Watcher
  • And I thought foxfire was stylish in winter.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2008, 04:34:44 am »

we could start with nerfing perpetual motion...
Stop bitching about it, do you want to make the Bay12 fan base want to rip you ( and supporters ) to fucking shreds!!!

And it'll be because you just had to nerf the shit out of waterwheels, enough to make it as useless as nobles.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2008, 04:53:18 am »

The simplest way would be to replace waterwheels with turbines (basically reverse screw pumps). The power output of the turbine would depend on the pressure difference between it's input and output. If the turbines were made to generate 4 power per z level they couldn't be used for perpetual motion.

This would also give us an excuse to build gigantic dams. Which would be a lot easier to build if brooks weren't flat.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2008, 12:58:37 pm »

If you make waterwheels generate less energy, you won't get rid of perpetual motion machines - you'll just make them a lot bigger (i.e. 20 wheels to one pump)

Hate to burst the bubble, but one pump really only supplies enough water for four to six wheels.  If you try and do 20 it'll fail, the water spreads out too much and you stop getting flow.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2008, 03:56:55 pm »

I actually really like the idea of changing waterwheels into reverse pumps:  gaining energy when the water drops a level, just -slightly- less than it takes to pump it up in the first place.  Only problem is, the very common occurrence of a map with a totally flat stream is no longer viable.  We just don't have a way to simulate water flow speed very easily and laglessly.

(Getting power when water drops back down is a cool idea though.  It lets you make a pretty realistic system where you pump water up at one end of the map, then let it flow across and drop at the other end, in order to cheaply transmit power without powering any axles!)
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!
Pages: 1 [2]