Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Low flow rate from brooks?  (Read 1116 times)

Arphahat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Low flow rate from brooks?
« on: August 31, 2008, 12:58:44 pm »

I have created a long channel to funnel my water to a farm.  When I try to flood the 10x20 area, it gets about half way and then starts drying up.  I am funneling the water from a brook... does that affect the rate?

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
Re: Low flow rate from brooks?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2008, 01:05:26 pm »

Water will evaporate when in an area a little larger than the size of a magma pipe. Thus it is advisable to either puressurize the water, make multiple 'pipes' to the farm, smaller farm rooms or temporary walls to direct the flow deeper into the farm.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Kidiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2008, 01:20:17 pm »

How large is the input channel? If the water disperses faster than it can dlow in, you'll have that problem.
Veni, Vidi, Pompeii.
Soylent Green is kittens!
Sometimes, when my Dorfs are exceptionally stupid again, I wonder what exactly the [INTELLIGENT]-tag does.

Arphahat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2008, 03:23:18 pm »

The channel is one tile in width.  I thought it would be pressurized because I drop it a couple of z-levels from the brook.  Is the thought that if I had a wider channel, with a width of two, it wouldn't evaporate?  I was surprised at how long it was taking and that it started to evaporate instead; it seems like the water only flows like crazy when I don't want it to. :)

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2008, 04:32:14 pm »

Possibility: Use pumps periodicly.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2008, 06:17:36 pm »

I had a similar problem, I just dug a few more channels into the original channel and eventually it got far enough to fill my well.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2008, 07:06:13 pm »

Do you have a bunch of diagonal channels? I've noticed that liquids flow slower diagonally.

Making your channel wider helps, too.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2008, 08:24:17 pm »

Stone might slow things down to...

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2008, 08:26:12 pm »

I don't think it does, but I honestly have never tested - I ALWAYS dump my stone out of my channels and build floors out of blocks. I can't STAND to have stone sitting in a channel, and for some reason I can't bring myself to build with raw stone.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2008, 03:04:56 pm »

Stone doesn't seem to do anything. I have lots of underwater stone, clothes, doors, bones and they just float around (not the stone I think) :P Diagonal channels do have an effect, though.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Skizelo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2008, 04:34:15 pm »

I once had a drowning chamber that took so long to fill up, most of the people were novice swimmers before they died.

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2008, 12:54:00 am »

The problems more likely to be at your interface with the brook than the width of the channel, if its pressurized. Basically: brooks themselves aren't pressurized, and a tile or 2 dug out of the edge won't guarantee that all the water will flow into it, or at any fast rate. The solution?: a 4 tile wide channel across the brook itself, so no water can get past :)
Magma is overrated.