Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Hmm, Is this normal?  (Read 3484 times)

Skizelo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Hmm, Is this normal?
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2008, 08:36:20 am »

Does she worship Rakust as well, or what? I've not kept up with how religions are handled.
You can't kill her though, I've never seen anyone so hated!

WCG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • That's interesting...
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2008, 08:49:33 am »

This IS kind of funny, isn't it? Tell me, can you dump food and drink through a garbage pit? It might be interesting to seal her off from everyone else and just dump food and booze down a hole into her bedroom (then you'd have to 'claim' it again, of course).

Yeah, sure, you can kill her, but that's the easy way out, isn't it? And nobles are supposed to be demanding and hard to please. If you kept her away from everyone else, she probably wouldn't be a big problem (well, no more than any queen).

Then again, I don't know how far away she'd have to be kept. Would someone on the other side of a wall - or above her room, especially through the pit - bother her?

Bill

Brian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2008, 08:58:09 am »

I can't wait for nobles to be needy, intelligently.  Instead of asking for crap that doesn't exist, how about insisting that some tree is sacred? Or the hunting of boars illegal? Or mandating production quotas for an actual purpose?

Boy,, I'm whiny today.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2008, 09:05:58 am »

No wonder she is forming grudges. You ended up with a noble that is on the extreme end of almost every personality trait. (see the wiki if you don't understand about the different personality ratings.) This will cause her to have at least one major personality conflict with almost every single dwarf that exists. This is going to cause her to form tons of grudges.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Khain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2008, 09:39:21 am »

Down with the Bourgeoisie! The time of the Dwarven Proletariat is now!

Yeah so...just kill her tbh o.O
Khain is a dubious worshipper of Stozu Oxtrararstruck Baxstutspen

Skizelo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2008, 10:18:47 am »

Instead of asking for crap that doesn't exist, how about insisting that some tree is sacred? Or the hunting of boars illegal?
I think there was a Hapsburg emperor who went on strike until an infeasible number of pure-white horses paraded outside his bedroom window. The administrators fretted for a bit, then did the clown-car trick of routing the parade so the horses weren't in sight long, so they could be rushed back to the startline.
I'm going to say Ferdinand I, but if anyone would like to call apocryphal, then please do.
ALSO, which monarch baked midgets into cake? He was... French?

Fossaman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2008, 12:12:21 pm »

Oh, google...I type in 'French King who baked midgets' and it asks me if I meant 'French king who naked midgets' instead.

Rule 34 strikes again.

Anyway, the one thing that I can't help but notice about that profile is that she doesn't seem to have any objects, foods, or animals that she likes. What's up with that?
Quote from: ThreeToe
This story had a slide down a chute. Everybody likes chutes.

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2008, 03:51:26 pm »

Oh, google...I type in 'French King who baked midgets' and it asks me if I meant 'French king who naked midgets' instead.

Rule 34 strikes again.

Anyway, the one thing that I can't help but notice about that profile is that she doesn't seem to have any objects, foods, or animals that she likes. What's up with that?

You are a liar. For falsely claiming rule 34, you must be punished.

EDIT: It seems the image is borked. Here's a link...

http://img148.imageshack.us/my.php?image=90700286rv0.png
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

DI7789

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2008, 07:38:16 pm »

Rule 34 strikes again.

You are a liar. For falsely claiming rule 34, you must be punished.

EDIT: It seems the image is borked. Here's a link...

http://img148.imageshack.us/my.php?image=90700286rv0.png

No, it does correct it to naked instead of baked

http://img354.imageshack.us/img354/3811/googlepictd9.jpg

Back on-topic...I can't think of anything
Gone on hiatus due to RL. Major apologies to all involved in LP thread.

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2008, 08:44:29 pm »

rawr beat me to it

Bunmo

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2008, 08:46:38 pm »

The choice you must make is painfully obvious.  You must assign and unassign rooms for the queen all across the fortress, parading her around the would-be killers.  Eventually, they'll be so fed up with watching her stupid face scurrying all across their home they'll tear her limb from limb in the halls!  Not even your most legendary Fortress Guard could protect the dear queen from her fate.

Or of course you can give the save file to me.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2008, 11:29:27 pm »

I would... carve a room for her out of somewhere that used to have platinum or something (i.e. deep in the underdark, far away from other dwarves). I'd give her a room full of statues, her own dining room and have a food & alcohol stockpile right next to it.

That is, if you don't insist on killing her.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Wolfius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2008, 11:42:33 pm »

Heh - reminds me of this one baronesss consort I had. Despite struggling to keep her happy(and having no idea what was pissing her off), she went berserk within a year.

Within a few tiles of an armed marksdwarf, in fact.

She had an eventful, if short, career.

:D

WCG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • That's interesting...
« Reply #28 on: September 02, 2008, 09:12:21 am »

I can't wait for nobles to be needy, intelligently.  Instead of asking for crap that doesn't exist, how about insisting that some tree is sacred? Or the hunting of boars illegal? Or mandating production quotas for an actual purpose?

This would be great. However, I can certainly see nobles requesting items that aren't actually useful. If a noble likes gold statues, for example, then he/she could very well mandate their construction.

But requesting items made from a material not found on your map at all? That's a bit different. Even then, it wouldn't be a problem if you could keep your nobles happy another way (and your dwarves weren't getting hammered or jailed for it). Even a noble must be unhappy about some things,... but a little pampering should restore their good humor.

Bill

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 02, 2008, 09:58:48 am »

Really the only problem with nobles is the hammerer. Prison time generally isn't that bad and its usually pretty short, and in a large fort you'll barely notice the imprisoned dwarves unless you have an extremely specialized population.

But when you have a noble who demands new adamantine socks every day, and starts executing random dwarves when you fail to accomplish the impossible, then things just get absurd. Letting the noble continue to have dwarves executed for impossible demands is a surefire way to destroy your fort, nor is it realistic for all but the most utterly insane leaders.

I don't think even Hitler or Stalin executed people for failing to do the obviously impossible. Some were punished with less severe things, such as prison time, but about the closest thing I could recall was Stalin's system of commissars who would execute "cowards" who failed to break superior German defensive lines.

Having to drag up a battlefield WW2 situation to come even close to daily life in a dwarven fortress seems to indicate that dwarven justice needs to be revamped.

Less executions and beatings, more jailtime. Or fines, when the economy kicks in. Perhaps a fine could be severe enough to reduce a dwarf's bank account to 0 as well as remove all owned items from him.
Pages: 1 [2] 3