Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Zombies  (Read 1521 times)

Mulch Diggums

• Bay Watcher
  • "Hey urist! I think that cat is having a seizure!"
    • View Profile
Zombies
« on: August 31, 2008, 05:32:56 am »

I modded in shot guns and am soon modding in riot gear, I thought, hey why not mod in zombies too.

The creature standard stuff:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The entity stuff:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
So what do you guys think? I would love to have some suggestions on what to add. By the way, is there a token I can add to make the zombies heal super fast.

-update- Added bone carn and a few things to make zombies not freeze to death =] Almost put the bone carn tag in twice.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2008, 04:07:11 pm by Mulch Diggums »
ooooo! Swamp wiskey! Yeah!!

Dwarfaholic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://(none)
Re: Zombies
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2008, 05:35:52 am »

[PREFSTRING:tasty brains]

This is just... so wrong.

Mulch Diggums

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2008, 05:39:42 am »

But it tastes so right. Now make with the suggestions you!

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2008, 06:45:04 am »

I think that they should have NOPAIN, NOBLEED, NOEXERT and NOBREATHE thus they will be killable in head mainly and not in heart.
Also give them SPEED:1000.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Mulch Diggums

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2008, 06:53:59 am »

They already have that :P Well, exept for the speed... And I dono if I want super fast zombies. hmm.

mizipzor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Blog
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2008, 07:02:08 am »

No, keep low speed. Slow, staggering zombies is the whole idea behind, you know, zombies.

Dasleah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2008, 07:03:18 am »

The higher the [SPEED:X] number, the slower they move ;)

Also, not many Zombies I know have Snakeman Venom. Perhaps something more appropriately named.
Pokethulhu Orange: UPDATE 25
The Roguelike Development Megathread.

As well, all the posts i've seen you make are flame posts, barely if at all constructive.

mizipzor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Blog
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2008, 07:05:35 am »

Another thought, why do you set genpower? I thought it wasnt used anymore.

edit: And in [liKES_FIGHTING], you have to lowercase letters... I dont know if that could be a problem, is DF case sensetive?

Mulch Diggums

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2008, 07:06:46 am »

I set it because I was basically copying humans and have no idea what it does. Speaking of which, what does it do? Also: the snakeman venom thing is just there so I dont forget I want the zombies bite to have some effect. numbing would be good.

mizipzor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Blog
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2008, 07:08:24 am »

I set it because I was basically copying humans and have no idea what it does. Speaking of which, what does it do? Also: the snakeman venom thing is just there so I dont forget I want the zombies bite to have some effect. numbing would be good.

From the wiki:

GENPOWER    rate?    Not used anymore and can be removed safely. Was related to magic.

Mulch Diggums

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2008, 07:11:38 am »

I'll fix every thing later on, im very tired right now. But hey, see how I kind of put the tags randomly into my code line thingy? Will that matter at all? Good night. Oh and also: suggestions would be cool. Is it possible to have the zombies heal realy fast?

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • A Special Kind of Terrible
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2008, 07:32:17 am »

I think that they should have NOPAIN, NOBLEED, NOEXERT and NOBREATHE thus they will be killable in head mainly and not in heart.
Also give them SPEED:1000.

Current zombies have SPEED:5000, these zombies are quite fast.
Also, give them Extravision.

I should also wonder, why do you have zombies with prefstring Tasty Brains? This would make other races like Zombies for their tasty brains.

I also suggest making them [CANNOT_UNDEAD]

Butcherable_nonstandard is a nonexistant tag now.

Don't make their venom snakeman venom. Make it Zombie Bite or something. It might be an idea, if you want them to be really dangeous, to give them a stunning bite that is EXTRACT_PERMANENT.

Pretty sure Reckless is no longer a tag. You'd have to check that though. Did the same as Likes Fighting.

Give them higher Layering, about 300-400, so they don't freeze to death.

Suggest that you remove BABY:1, and make CHILD:1

[ADVENTURE_TIER:1] - You may need to change the number on this, if you do want a zombie adventurer that is.

Make them Like every type of site. After all, zombies aren't picky.

Get rid of:
   [USE_ANIMAL_PRODUCTS]
   [COMMON_DOMESTIC_PACK]
   [COMMON_DOMESTIC_PULL]
   [COMMON_DOMESTIC_MOUNT]
   [COMMON_DOMESTIC_PET]
   [USE_MISC_PROCESSED_WOOD_PRODUCTS]
   [UNDEAD_CANDIDATE]
Why not join us on IRC? irc.newnet.net #bay12games

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2008, 12:21:28 pm »

I suggest dropping their COLDDAM_POINT instead of raising LAYERING.  Same result in general, but if you were to raise LAYERING too high they would be restricted to arctic regions (higher still and they'd never appear).  COLDDAM_POINT:9868 would let them tolerate temperatures down to -100 Fahrenheit, which is probably about on par with LAYERING:200 or 300.  Standard creatures typically seem to have have LAYERING:0 (tropical), 100 (temperate), 200 (cold), or 300 (arctic).

Also, drop the punching.  Switch the bite to their primary attack.

A permanently stunning "zombie goo" venom sounds good.

Add LITTERSIZE:3:7 or something along those lines so they can properly zerg other civs.

Add NONAUSEA (or whatever it is) to the NOPAIN, etc list.

Add EVIL so they can populate such regions.  If you add a wild, LARGE_ROAMING variety, I suggest either not making it EVIL or cranking the evil region count in the world gen options.

I suggest either SPEED:1900 for half-speed, lumbering zombies or SPEED:700 for 28 Days Later-esque fast zombies.

Mulch Diggums

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2008, 03:58:08 pm »

Im awake now, woo... Any who, just so I completly understand this, permanently stunning zombie goo venom stuff would basically cripple any one who it effects? for the rest of their lives? =\ That would make sense for a zombie to have, but it would make fighting them mutch more dangerous. About the no nausea and nopain stuff, im pretty sure thats already in there..and so is evil.  About the tasty brains thing, I just put it there because it was very zombish :P. Maby i'll replace it with vacant stare or scary apearance or some such. I would drop the punching, but dosn't the biting usualy come after the zombie gains a good hold on its victem? Also...I think i'll make them the slow lumbering zombies, I've always liked those more. Notice zombies dont have the [EQUIPS] tag, does this make them not wear clothes, or just not use weapons? I Just added all the tags and removed the ones that shouldn't be there, I'll update first post in a moment.

-edit- Replaced [NOEAT] with [BONECARN]. Btw, im playing on the old version, is there a tag that lets the zombies eat their fallen enemys, like the elves do, or so i've heard.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2008, 04:03:52 pm by Mulch Diggums »

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2008, 04:01:20 pm »

It might be an idea, if you want them to be really dangeous, to give them a stunning bite that is EXTRACT_PERMANENT

In my Fallout mod if viral zombies and infected survivors bite you, you'll become paralyzed for the rest of your short life :D.
They are very uncommon but very dangerous as well :).

Also thanks for [CANNOT_UNDEAD], I forgot about this. Something like "zombie viral zombie" would be really stupid :).

P.S. Celebral parazytes which are vermin and bite you to be paralyzed forever are dangerous too. It's just too hard to get them but if you manage to make a few in your fortress ... :D :D :D.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2008, 04:03:40 pm by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository
Pages: [1] 2