Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 38

Author Topic: Funny but sad/disturbing moments in Dwarf fortress  (Read 209195 times)

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
Re: Funny but sad/disturbing moments in Dwarf fortress
« Reply #360 on: October 17, 2009, 02:05:52 pm »

9) The first thing the baby sees in her life is DEATH!

... and the last thing the jeweler saw in life was CHILDBIRTH!
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: October 18, 2009, 04:13:13 am »

One of my sworddwarf tranees died in bed of multiple stab wounds. While I made him a coffin, my farmer decided to take a nap in the barracks - on top of hte dead guy.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Rozenbuddy

• Bay Watcher
  • High on Caffine
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: October 18, 2009, 08:10:35 am »

He wouldn't do that if you gave him a reasonable bed.

Reasonableman

• Bay Watcher
  • ...Probably.
    • View Profile
    • Twitter is dead, long live Cohost
« Reply #363 on: October 18, 2009, 11:13:24 am »

Corpses are perfectly reasonable beds... for necrophiliacs.
A sane man must be reasonable, but a reasonable man need not be sane.

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: October 18, 2009, 04:19:49 pm »

I found a goblin decorated entirely in goblin leather and goblin bone earrings.  I didn't think they were cannibals...
I've never tried it and there's a good chance it could make them freak out.
Do it.
Severedcoils - the Baron Consort accumulation challenge
Severedcoils II: The Reckoning - a DnD 5e Adventure set in the world of Severedcoils

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: October 19, 2009, 12:26:48 am »

Well ...

In one of my earlier forts there was a huge famine. I hadn't realised that you had to order fishcleaners to clean the fish. It was my only source of food - and the fishcleaners cancelled their tasks to hunt vermin.

I ordered the animals to be butchered but everyone saw vermin and crawled around the floor with an insatiable hunger! Dwarves died and the tantrum spiral was a fact ... the few who caught vermin to eat and later managed to butcher the animals were depressed as hell.

Dwarf fought dwarf, the beds were full of tantruming madmen. Someone wrecked the fishery and a guard executed him on sight for it. The slain and the starved filled the entire fort, it was carnage! Bloody carnage!

... in the end. There were a few melancholy dwarves who walked around in the wilderness. A woman with a spinal injury, a baby and a soldier. The soldier was big and strong, in the turmoil he had attacked and wounded many, including one of the guards. There was no law anymore ... he is depressed, so he walks up to the baby AND CHOPS IT INTO PIECES! upon which he is happy again.
"Urist McMurderer has been happy lately. He took joy in slaughter recently"

It is all so horrible but I enjoyed every second of it.
I have an art blog now.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: October 19, 2009, 01:12:33 am »

Check out what happened to this goblin born dwarf. The spoilers are screenshots.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Then Kulet runs away after his goblin pals and leaves him to bleed out.

« Last Edit: October 19, 2009, 01:14:49 am by Duuvian »
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: October 19, 2009, 01:20:06 am »

Check out what happened to this goblin born dwarf. The spoilers are screenshots.

Then Kulet runs away after his goblin pals and leaves him to bleed out.

Oh my god! ... is he ok?
I have an art blog now.

denito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: October 19, 2009, 01:34:20 am »

Had a dwarf in a fey mood that I couldn't supply the materials for so I locked the door to the workshop and constructed a wall over the door just to be sure.  I finished the wall and she went insane AND had a child at the same time.  So now that I've gone all "The Cask of Amontillado" on her ass she's in there with a baby - I can't watch.  Then I notice her husband is the fort's only carpenter (who's doing important work for me).  This is going to suck...

Luckily she only went the melancholy kind of insane so I deemed it safe to take the wall back down and let her out.  The funny part?  The husband's profile still said that he was ecstatic, and a happy thought from recently becoming a father.  Apparently the fact that his wife lost her mind doesn't faze him.  Or he's been so busy making barrels for me that no one's told him yet!
My wife: "Are you playing that midget fort game again?"

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: October 19, 2009, 04:22:30 pm »

I just remembered something that happened in an early fort.

Rhesus macaques attacked, I killed them all. Didn't have time to butcher them all so two rotted - I told them to dump them cuz they were stinking up the joint. There was no garbage area or refuse piles so the dwarves promptly hauled some severed monkey limbs and one corpse and threw them into my only well.

I managed to stop them from bringing more stuff, but now the well was stinking and everyone complained about the bad water. I had to laugh.
I have an art blog now.

dakenho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: December 01, 2009, 11:21:09 am »

Sorry in advance for the grammatical/spelling mistakes
I just started a new fortress that looked like it would starve to death.  With giant eagles, zombie goats (wtf I know), wait … wtf? … when did..how did I get 13 dwarfs…An immigration wave??? It’s my first season…is that possible? … … … any ways knowledge that there is an underground river with tunnels 3 z-levels deep (and  14 to go) and no river in site (already out of booze, and no plants that can grow outside) and my fishing supplies limited and dwarfs starting to starve.  I assigned a single dwarf of my original 7 to make a cross bow and some arrows and then sent one dwarf hunting.   With zombies afoot and other dangers I thought he would surly die (but dwarfs were starting to starve any ways).  By the time I realized the dwarf did not pick up his initial equipment it was too late, he was all the way across the map (using a skill I can’t interrupt).   I felt sad as the poor hungry dwarf ran around chasing and trying to wrestle a horse only to fail, return to the fort only to find no ale and half to drink out a of a dingy pond.   Thankfully he decided to pick up his ammo and xbow.  He proceeded to run after horses again, for some reason refusing to fire unless he was with in 2 squares of his target.  I found it funny after not being able to kill  a horse using a full quiver of bolts the hunter did run down the horse and wrestle it to death.  Finally food for my 13 dwarfs.  I butcher the horse and feed my fortress, I assume that this is temporary as no river = no farm, and the pools about do not seem to be large enough to support flooding a farming room, and thus no booze (which seems cruel) (though I may have to take that chance of attempting to flood a small room, failing and losing my only source of water:/).  At any rate that lone hunter has saved my fortress.  He has gone from peasant to hunter in a short amount of time, my three butcher shops can barley keep up with his output and he is doing well given he only has wood xbow and bone bolts.   Wait…o no… peasant was interrupted by a zombie goat, darn I knew this would happen…few the goats seem to of moved away from the fortress, wait where is my hunter, the sole provider of food for my fortress?  DOH he is out hunting with marauding zombie goats,  U, C o there he is hunting a horse …good...  A $$%& the herd of zombie goats found him and is in site,  please do not die, a lemming rush into a herd of undead goats is not the way a dwarf should go.  Well let’s see what this hunter has hmnnn, 45 horse bone bolts and about 5 goats cannot cancel the hunt and activating him probably will not help, he is too close to the enemy to really run (they goats look to be heading towards him).  I un-pause the game and the hunter is near the goats and starts unloading bolts ata high rate.  My jaw dropped I have never seen a dwarf with so much hatred for something to unload so many bolts so quickly he seemed to of unloaded all 45 bolts with 2 seconds (are xbows actually machine guns?)  I laughed my but off watching my hunter shoot bolts at such an insane rate  killing one or two goats and seriously injuring the rest,  I was concerned that the hunter would attempt to melee the rest but he walked back to the fort, picked up another stack of 40 or so bone bolts and went back to hunting horses…emptying his quiver again he has killed the remaining goats.  (which my peasants are content to bring to the fortress and store them near the slaughter house (apparently one of them wants to try undead meat ).  With the horse population exhausted my hunter is content with killing ground hogs.  Though I am concerned. he killed all the zombies, the zombie goats were not bothering my dwarfs too much and were not that menacing, hopefully something far worse (which I imagine will) will spawn (zombie carp in my two small water ponds? Zombie elephants?).   And with this hunter the sole source of food my dwarf’s things look grim, till I get the farm set up at least.  If nothing else dwarfs with no booze worries me, and I foresee and inevitable collapse of dwarven society.
For the record my hunter now has a dog now but he is so effective the dog never helps him and my hunter did take out the giant eagle.  Though I am worried what will happen to my fort once the ground hogs have been harvested for food…well there is plenty of prepared food lying around with only about 25 dwarfs at 2 food a season I could probably last 2-4 seasons with what is left on the map/stocks…let us hope something butcher able spawn before then.  Thanks to my hunter two I was able to trade two leather for one pig tail thread (how leather is less valuable than pig tail thread…)  and was able to weave it and create a well and my dwarfs are feeling better and drink faster.

Options:  hope wild game holds up until I hit the river
Option2:  drain my only two sources of water and risk not mudding enough soil to support a large enough farm.
Option3:  slaughter my cows/ muskoxs that came with my caravan
Option4:  slaughter my cats/dogs and anything else
Option5: look for more large game; construct an elaborate system of walls, stairs, channels and other things to create a wild life breeding pen/program (does not seem that viable) given my terrain.

update:
I finally decide to take the risk to drain my only two water supplies to build my farm and hope for the best,  so I mined out the room, build a flood gate, built lever forgot to build an extra mechanism, no problem plenty of stone and board dwarfs around twitchy for lack of alcohol.  The mechanism is complete and then I notice that an ironic message.   So and so has canceled drink: well has dried up.  My only two sources of water had evaporated moments before I was able to flood my farm.  I can just picture the conversation my dwarfs had

Dwarf A:  “ok boys, we have been what has seems like *twitch* forever *twitch* without *gulp* alcohol *a dwarf in the back snaps and runs off*  we are going to risk draining our only two water sources to build a farm as I for one would rather dehydrate to death than live a life without booze.”
Dwarfs “hmnn, what? Ale? quick do whatever he says”;
Some time latter
Dwarf B to dwarf a. “Sir we have completed the tunnel, mined out the farming room, built the flood gate, made the lever”
Dwarf A “finally!!!  We can will grow plump helmets and will have ale PRAISE THE MINNING GODS”
Dwarf b “there is a slight problem”
Dwarf A “… … …”
Dwarf b “the water…its evaporated we cannot longer flood the room”
*angry dwarf mob carriers the dwarf b away*
« Last Edit: December 01, 2009, 05:21:59 pm by dakenho »
From the description of the event, I think that your copy of Dwarf Fortress was on drugs when this happened. That's surely the only logical explanation for a human werewolf with deadly farts dying from it's own excrement after slaughtering some goblins comrades.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: December 01, 2009, 07:27:08 pm »

First, learn to use paragraphs to break up your text.

Second, you don't need to flood to farm if you have soil.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

FaultyLogic

• Bay Watcher
  • [EDIBLE_RAW]
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: December 02, 2009, 08:36:55 am »

So, I thought I was going to give a site with magma another try. The last one failed horribly as my carpenter decided to take a swim in the vent, and I abandoned.

I arrive at the site and see that right next to the vent full of magma, there is a vent filled with naked mole-dogs and whatnot. Anyway, I decided for lulz to drain a pool into the vent, and see what would happen. It was very anti-climactic as the magma sealed off the channel by itself with a small puff of smoke. However the fire imps did not appreciate this endevadour, and one quickly appeared on the edge of the vent and sent a fireball straight into one of my miners. His throat is burnt, and he falls to the ground, suffocating. 

I draft the second miner who plants his pick in the abdomen of the fire imp, quickly disposing of it. All is well, for a brief fraction of a minute at least. I send the remaining miner to start digging in to the mountain instead. Then two more fire imps appear and chase a cat into the woods. "NOT MAH CAT" I exclaim as I draft my miner and carpenter and send them after the imps. They kill both the imps quickly without any hassle, though they were unable to save the kitten. It seems they were awe-struck by what happened next though, as it dawned on me that the entire forest was now on fire and the flames were approaching both the dwarves very quickly. I tried desperately to get them to move, but to no avail. Only when the carpenter was completely engulfed in flames did the miner take a hint and legged it back to the wagon.

The fire spread all around, roasting some snailmen that were strolling through. Three of the five remaining dwarves hid in my soil farms, safe underground. The other two thought the booze-stockpile was the best place to hide from a raging forest-fire. No matter what I told them they were hell-bent on protecting all that beer, ale and rum.

Bits of dwarven flesh drenched in boiling alcohol sprayed the mountain-side.

One of the survivors is now on berserking around the mountain, while the other though are on the verge of melancholy as they try to continue with their initial duties. It is now one month into the first spring, I foresee a great future for the fortress Spearseer.

EDIT: And of course, the tantruming dwarf decided to rip the other two in pieces. Spearseer has crumbled to an end.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2009, 08:47:24 am by FaultyLogic »
"It's unpossible!"

FaultyLogic

• Bay Watcher
  • [EDIBLE_RAW]
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: December 03, 2009, 09:05:39 am »

I'll be bumping this thread with another short story.

Embarked on a desert map, completely devoid of any water. This was not an issue though (I thought foolishly) as I had brought plenty of drink. I started working on an entrance that was quite a bit away from my wagon, and like a mad dwarf I left my booze unguarded.

Appareantly, the mountain I had embarked upon was home to scores of mountain gnomes. And they didn't not linger. In a matter of seconds, eight or so mountain gnomes has guzzled 120 units of booze!

I had to quickly dig a hole in the soil and set up a plump helmet farm. The brewer died of thirst as he completed the first barrel, three other dwarves died with him. A fifth went insane with sorrow.

But three years later my fort is 60 dwarves strong! And the booze is safely guarded.
"It's unpossible!"

Kavalion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: December 03, 2009, 04:11:31 pm »

My Master Speargoblin was upset that one of his buddies got killed while fighting off the lizardmen, so he started to tantrum.  He destroyed a floor grate, then started a fist fight with another soldier.  During the fight, he managed to end up falling through the floor where the grate used to be and into the plumbing below.

Facepalmed before I started to drain everything and fish him out.  He managed not to drown... which is more than he deserves!
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 38