Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 38

Author Topic: Funny but sad/disturbing moments in Dwarf fortress  (Read 209178 times)

Shurikane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shurikane.com
Re: Funny but sad/disturbing moments in Dwarf fortress
« Reply #315 on: March 09, 2009, 09:07:42 am »

*edits raws*

THERE ARE NOW.  :D

Haven

• Bay Watcher
  • Studiously Avoidant
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: March 09, 2009, 09:37:58 am »

Yeah, there are ducks in Legendary Lands. Little buggers can get deadly when they've socialized. I've got a clan of the things on an old fort somewhere. Three or so generations, it appeared.

At any rate, one time I failed yet another mandate for aluminum thumbtacks or somesuch from my Duke, who failed to understand that there was no aluminum on the map. My metalworkers, of course, had long been worked down to those who could survive the occasional beating, so I'm not too worried. A bit later I'm surprised to see that a planter died. Looking the incident over, I found out that instead of beating the metalworkers, they'd killed my best smith's daughter. I was somewhat happy with the innovation and creativity... And the bloody, violent death.

knightedskull

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: March 09, 2009, 12:43:18 pm »

Didn't think hammerer would hammer a relative of the one that failed mandate or some such. Sounds neat to me, hopefully when a mandate for stone mugs  isn't filled that the mason gets it instead of a legendary smith who happened to be related.  ::)

Did your best smith tantrum after loosing the daughter?

praguepride

• Bay Watcher
  • DF is serious business!
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: March 09, 2009, 01:03:05 pm »

One of my first ambushes, I quickly ordered every dwarf inside and pulled up the drawbridges/locked the doors while my milita started equipping themselves with stockpiles of weapons.

I look back across the drawbridge and realize that while my wardog made it inside in time, all of her puppies were stuck outside! There are 3-4 of them and they bravely attacked the goblins who hacked them apart. It was kind of sad as all my dwarves stood on the opposite shore, ducking and dodging to avoid flying puppy parts.
Man, dwarves are such a**holes!

Even automatic genocide would be a better approach

Kroack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: May 16, 2009, 04:20:56 pm »

I once had a fortress near a Chasm that had a problem with giant cave swallows. After a couple years one of them, a female, got named, something like Blooddeath, after killing the mayor and most of the farmers/planters. My military could never catch up to her because she always flew out of all of the battles when endangered. Blooddeath eventually gave birth to even more Giant Cave Swallows. Most of these beasts also developed names and were feared amongst my dwarves.

After one particularly bloody day, when Blooddeath and her offspring killed 5 of my wood cutters, I had had enough. To my surprise, so did my greatest champion. Blooddeath had just killed another woodworker when my champion, I think Cog was his name, leaped on her and managed to rip off her wings so she could no longer escape. After battling for a few moments the both stumbled or dodged into a small pond. Cog kept on fighting and eventually killed the beast. Unfortunately, he drowned in the process.         

doctorspoof

• Bay Watcher
  • [FIREBREATH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: May 16, 2009, 05:00:06 pm »

Count consort ends a mandate for... socks, or something, i can't remember.
Anyway, he decides that someone should be beaten for this total lack of respect for nobility. Someone should be beaten for this disobedience.
Who?

..the leader of the crack-champion-titled wrestler squad. He's the guy who wrestled 4 dragons to death. By himself.

Of course, like any true Dwarf Fortress player, my hammerer was already dead, so nothing happened. Equally so, the consort soon died after an unfortunate incident with the ceiling.
The best way to avoid tantrum spirals is to make sure no-one lives long enough to make any friends.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: May 16, 2009, 07:23:09 pm »

Count consort ends a mandate for... socks, or something, i can't remember.
Anyway, he decides that someone should be beaten for this total lack of respect for nobility. Someone should be beaten for this disobedience.
Who?
..the leader of the crack-champion-titled wrestler squad. He's the guy who wrestled 4 dragons to death. By himself.
Of course, like any true Dwarf Fortress player, my hammerer was already dead, so nothing happened. Equally so, the consort soon died after an unfortunate incident with the ceiling.
Quite tragic, all in all.  Ah, those ceilings, always bumping into them...
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

PotatoMuncher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: May 17, 2009, 01:13:31 am »

I one had a fire imp strolling arround my magma forges, so no problem. I sent a champion to go and kill it, so I sent him to patroll arround it. it then walked by the imp, who shot a fire ball at my champion in full adamantine, and a legendary shield user. he was instantly killed! I then saw a kitten walking down there. the imp retreated tt he magma, and the kitten followed it, and jumped on it's head, and broke/mangled ALL of it's arms/legs. the cat died beforew it could pull off a "fatality". I was pissed off at my champion for being such a pussy. And I was glad for my pussy (cat) for being such a champion
I think we found the only thing stupider than a dwarf.
Ladies and Gentlemen; Wagons can run shit over.

Time Kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • Evil Spirit
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: May 17, 2009, 02:32:45 am »

tsk, fireballs are bugged, shields don't work on them, it's dodging or nothing.

And if your champion had one leather shoe or some such, that means instant death.

but yay kitteh powah!

knightedskull

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: May 17, 2009, 12:39:30 pm »

although if he had rope reed he would have stood a chance.

Wh1tefang12

• Bay Watcher
  • If all else fails apply magma
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: May 17, 2009, 01:26:26 pm »

I have Orc mod, and after a year the orcs came and after locking the doors my marks dwarfs picked them off. I look at the carnage and notice a lone kitten. It was covered in blood, had a few limbs cut off and after opening the gates it got vomited on.The kitten survived another year but then died when i didn't pull the lever in time and the orcs came in.
Hmm whats that smell... Oh hi Urist still taking that nap, its been 5 months I can only manage to sleep 3 days. You might want to get that Axe wound checked out though; you are in the Hospital.

Flying Carcass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: May 17, 2009, 08:01:39 pm »

Today I started a new game and embarked at a site with a volcano. I set up my base and all was going well, until the camel hunt...
I had assigned a particular dwarf to the task of hunting and threat-removal and provided him an entourage of war dogs. While the dwarf and his pack chased a camel around the edge of the volcano, an imp popped out and attacked the dogs, killing one of them. This made the hunter very upset.
Upon returning to the base, the hunter caught a whiff of miasma and went bonkers! [Threw a tantrum] He then proceeded to rip out the spine of one of his dogs and cleaved the leg of one of his friends.

After he calmed down, I guess he felt remorseful about what he had done because he stood over his injured friend until his friend was taken to a bed and then over the following months he kept vigilant watch over his injured friend, lest his friend's assailant ever return to finish the job!

And what of the camels? They lurk about the map to this day, waiting, plotting, and doing camel stuff!

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: May 17, 2009, 09:08:17 pm »

"Doing camel stuff"? Smoking isn't implemented, you know.

One of my kitty's, the pet of a certain hammerer, was a unfortunate casualty along with its master. 'nuff said.

Flying Carcass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: May 17, 2009, 10:12:23 pm »

Smoking isn't implemented, you know

I think the imps may beg to differ... though one could say they're "doing it wrong".  ;)

Pjoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: May 18, 2009, 10:08:08 am »

2 kittens ran into magma tunnel under forges while I was filling it, and I walled them both in. Then other kitten just run into magma.

Small cats seem to produce really much smoke for their size.
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 38